Intel's 8-Core Coffee Lake Mainstream Processor Allegedly Debuting In September

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
8-core Intel Coffee Lake refresh to arrive this autumn

Intel is set to release its first 8-core mainstream processor in the autumn. This Coffee Lake refresh part will pack in two more physical cores than the top-end 8th gen Core processors avaliable at the time of writing. Even the desirable new Intel Core i7-8086K (14nm) special edition anniversary chip, reviewed by HEXUS this morning, is a 6C/12T processor.

The source PC-Watch report (Japanese, with in-line translation facility) contains information garnered from Computex 2018. The main assertions are based on talks, behind the scenes, with several OEM manufacturers, so please be aware that they might not come to pass.

read more: http://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/119213-8-core-intel-coffee-lake-refresh-arrive-autumn/

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intel's 8-Core Coffee Lake Mainstream Processor Allegedly Debuting In September

The core wars are heating up, and right now AMD has the upper hand, as it pertains to providing more cores for mainstream consumers to play with. Conventional wisdom says it is only a matter of time before Intel releases an 8-core chip that is not part of its high-end desktop (HEDT) or Xeon product lines. The question is, when will that happen? Well, rumor has it that Intel is prepping an 8-core Coffee Lake processor for a September launch.

read more: https://hothardware.com/news/intel-8-core-coffee-lake-mainstream-processor-debuting-september

maybe hope for the best to come in the coming mths :o

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also more bugs being brought to the table with Intel chips.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it support older chipset or only Z390 as rumored in the past?

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Fix old bugs in silicon first. Add cores to compensate past system drags of 10%?

No need la. When Intel lower the price tag sure many will say those bugs are not their concern

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it support older chipset or only Z390 as rumored in the past?

Different power rating, almost 100% must use new MB. Even if using Z370, it will be the v2 version which is not compatible with the current Z370.

Even the new 22 cores Skylake X using LGA 2011 will need to be using different motherboard as compared to 7980XE, not to mentioned another new LGA 3674 for Casade-lake X which showcase the (fake) 5GHz 28 cores CPU and probably only limited to 1 generation only for the chipset.

If you haven realised, Intel is still forcing their user to change motherboard every few month. Intel shady practice such as pigeon poop, castrated PCIe lanes, attempt to force I5 CPU into HEDT chipset, limited support for NVMe Raid even for HEDT platform (force you to purchase DLC hardware to support), Spectre bugs cover-up etc.

We are all sick of it. Very sick of it.

Forget about the 8 cores refresh on rebranded rebrand Skylake, I am looking forward more to AMD's 7nm 12 cores Zen 2.

No need la. When Intel lower the price tag sure many will say those bugs are not their concern

That will change once AMD win Intel in ST performance (basically the final nail to the coffin). You will starting seeing many of those who defend Intel will suddenly switch side.

Also you never see Intel officially lower their CPU prices, so ya. Intel being Intel, I think that is almost never going to happen.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They claimed that the power requirement is higher resulting in the need of a new motherboard. I think that is rubbish since if you look at most Z370 boards, they tend to be overbuilt for overclocking. If you look at AMD's B350 boards, I feel the board build is really basic, yet is capable of running an 8 core chip and support some overclocking. :s22:

Anyway with the cheap TIM, I am not going to switch back to Intel for my desktop processor anytime soon. If AMD can keep up with them, I am more than happy to stay with AMD for the foreseeable future.

joshuaho

Reaction score
Experiencing some issues with my z170 board.. seeing the direction intel is heading with their money milking strategy, I’m seriously considering jumping on AMD wagon too :eek:

They claimed that the power requirement is higher resulting in the need of a new motherboard. I think that is rubbish since if you look at most Z370 boards, they tend to be overbuilt for overclocking. If you look at AMD's B350 boards, I feel the board build is really basic, yet is capable of running an 8 core chip and support some overclocking. :s22:

Anyway with the cheap TIM, I am not going to switch back to Intel for my desktop processor anytime soon. If AMD can keep up with them, I am more than happy to stay with AMD for the foreseeable future.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I doubt that will happen. In fact when I think back during those Pentium 4 vs AMD 64 days, I don't recall Intel adjusting prices to compete.

Come to think about it, Intel don't learn. During Pentium 4 days, Intel was happily releasing single core chips until AMD 64 came in and shortly, AMD 64 X2. They sat on their success on single core chips and are happily selling people single core chips for high price. Finally they got pushed to retaliate to compete with quad core chips, and Intel have stayed stagnant with quad core chips until last year. :s22:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you buy 8 cores CL now. It will be outdated in a few months (Intel release something to counter Zen 2 in Q1 next year)

And then u want to upgrade and u realised hey I need a new motherboard.

Think twice or thrice. This is a trap. ;)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any chance this might mean the 8 cores ryzen might drop a little in price?

Not in the short run I believe. Intel is unlikely to compete when it comes to pricing, so which leaves little reason to lower prices on the R7 chips. In fact, the current i7 8700K (no heatsink) is already more expensive then R7 2700X (Wrath Prism heatsink).

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not in the short run I believe. Intel is unlikely to compete when it comes to pricing, so which leaves little reason to lower prices on the R7 chips. In fact, the current i7 8700K (no heatsink) is already more expensive then R7 2700X (Wrath Prism heatsink).

Intel has enough fan boys to not need to compete on pricing.

Also, most people who are not PC savvy will just point to Intel and will not even consider AMD.

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intel has enough fan boys to not need to compete on pricing.

Also, most people who are not PC savvy will just point to Intel and will not even consider AMD.

Not really, intel nowaday is getting really bad name.

On the other hand ppl are taking note of AMD recent comeback, ppl are more tech savy compared to Athlon 64 era.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.