View Single Post
Old 18-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #2342
yxerin

Suggestions for North island itinerary mid Dec
(due to work commitment, we can only travel in mid dec)

Hi, objective is scenery and relax sightseeing; we're not into adventurous or water/beach activities, such as rafting and hiking. We'll self drive (2 adults and a 3 years old).

Here is our initial itinerary - route1:
Day 1: Arriving Auckland @2pm, SQ direct. Rest for the day.
Day 2: Explore Auckland City (own pace skytower, harbour bridge, parnell etc)
Day 3: Explore Auckland surrounding (plan to join day tour for dolphin and whale watching)
Day 4: Drive to Rotorua 8AM (via Matamata for Hobbiton movie tour)
Day 5: Explore Rotorua (plan to visit 2 nearby geysers/thermal)
Day 6: Explore Rotorua (plan to visit nearby sheep farm or join Waitomo cave day tour)
Day 7: Drive to Taupo 8AM (plan to visit Waimangu and Wai-O-Tapu)
Day 8: Explore Taupo (plan to visit Tongariro)
Day 9: Full day drive to Wellington 8AM (5 Hrs direct but planning for multiple short break in Turangi, Palmerston etc)
Day 10: Explore Wellington city (own pace LOTR movie tour, cable car)
Day 11: Explore Wellington surrounding (plan to visit kapiti coast, maybe even picton crossing)
Day 12: Fly back Auckland (if schedule and time permit, would like to try full day train)
Day 13: Fly out of Auckland, SQ direct (12pm)

Above itinerary feasible or appropriate?
Another concern is Day 9 onward, worth to spend 5hrs drive to Wellington?
Should we skip Wellington all together and focus on places north of Taupo?

Thanks!
Looks okay if your travelling pace is very slow and relaxed (e.g. you typically start the day late, you spend 2 hours chilling at a restaurant for lunch, etc). Otherwise, I think your itinerary is do-able in 7 or 8 days. Can consider this website for ideas on where to go.

https://www.newzealand.com/sg/featur...sland-circuit/

I did the 5 hours drive to Wellington as well. On hindsight, I'll still go to Wellington. Hope this helps.

Edit: forgot to mention that you can consider the trilogy attractions package (experiencethetrilogy.com). It looks like you are going to all 3 attractions anyways. Buying the trilogy should save you some money.

Last edited by yxerin; 18-06-2018 at 06:37 PM..
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote