View Single Post
Old 19-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #2346
yxerin

Dear all,

Can help me to take a look if the below itinerary too ambitious? Not going for hiking.

Feel free to comment whether the places to stay over is strategic or skip or add on new places.

Day 1: Chrischurch arrival
Day 2: Chrischurch to Greymouth (stay Greymouth)
Day 3: Greymouth to Haast (stay Haast)
Day 4: Haast to Wanaka (stay Wanaka)
Day 5: Wanaka (stay Wanaka)
Day 6: Wanaka to Te Anau (stay Te Anau)
Day 7: Te Anau to Milford Sound to Te Anau (stay Te Anau)
Day 8: Te Anau to Invercargill/Bluff (stay Invercargill/Bluff)
Day 9: Invercargill/Bluff to Denudin (stay Denudin)
Day 10: Denudin to Lake Tekapo (stay Lake Tekapo)
Day 11: Lake Tekapo to Christchurch (stay Chrischurch)
Day 12: Churchurch morning flight out

TIA
On Day 1, if you arrive in Christchurch in the morning or early afternoon, can consider skipping christchurch and overnighting in arthur's pass. Same for day 11. Lake Tekapo to christchurch is a relatively short drive. Try to minimise the time spent in christchurch. Christchurch is a waste of time compared to other places in NZ.

On Day 3, I would personally prefer to overnight in Fox than Haast for two reasons. Firstly, there's nothing to do in Haast..it's one of those towns people drive through on their way to other destination towns like Wanaka and Queenstown. Secondly, I like the salmon sandwich at Paringa salmon farm but I doubt you'll reach there in time before they close as much of your day will be spent at the two glacier villages and the other activities along the West Coast (e.g. Hokitika gorge walk).

On the whole, this feels like quite a rushed trip with a lot of time on the road. On Day 6, you can consider stopping in Queenstown. This will mean less driving, and will at least give you half a day in Queenstown (assuming you stop over in Arrowtown). Then on Day 7, take a complete break from driving and instead book a day trip coach+cruise to Milford Sound. Cost-wise, if you book your coach+cruise early enough, it'll be cheaper than driving to Te Anau/Milford Sound and booking the cruise yourself. Then on Day 8, you can go on to Invercargill from Queenstown.
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote