[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Gab

Reaction score
Hi.. I am planning to get a 1 bay NAS.

If I so an external USB backup to an external HDD, am I able to take the HDD and open and read the backup files on the computers? Or is it some kind of a proprietary backup where I only able to read the files using Synology software?

When I configure the external USB backup... can I still un plug the USB drive from the Synology or I have to plug it in all the time? As I am thinking if I always unplug the USB without doing a proper unplug, it will damage the external HDD over time..

How about restoring the files from USB external HDD (in the event the Synology or internal HDD having problem), getting a new Synology and just plug into the USB to do restoring? Or the steps is more than that..

Or maybe 2 bays is the way to go for simplicity of restoring the files..

Thanks in advance..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I am planning to get a 1 bay NAS.

If I so an external USB backup to an external HDD, am I able to take the HDD and open and read the backup files on the computers? Or is it some kind of a proprietary backup where I only able to read the files using Synology software?

When I configure the external USB backup... can I still un plug the USB drive from the Synology or I have to plug it in all the time? As I am thinking if I always unplug the USB without doing a proper unplug, it will damage the external HDD over time..

How about restoring the files from USB external HDD (in the event the Synology or internal HDD having problem), getting a new Synology and just plug into the USB to do restoring? Or the steps is more than that..

Or maybe 2 bays is the way to go for simplicity of restoring the files..

Thanks in advance..

1. Yes. No.
2. Yes, can unplug.
3. Yes
4. Will recommend it as well over 1 bay.

Angel Gab

Reaction score
Thanks bro..

For the Q1, you put : Yes. No

Is it for the below questions?

If I so an external USB backup to an external HDD, am I able to take the HDD and open and read the backup files on the computers? [YES]

Or is it some kind of a proprietary backup where I only able to read the files using Synology software? [NO]

I am thinking 1 bay because DS118 specs is better than DS218J (for the $$ I am willing to invest). Not sure if 218J spec can be future proof for next 5 years with only me and family members (4 users) using it to backup files, music, access remotely, etc..

Angel Gab

Reaction score
1. Yes. No.
2. Yes, can unplug.
3. Yes
4. Will recommend it as well over 1 bay.

Thanks bro..

If I so an external USB backup to an external HDD, am I able to take the HDD and open and read the backup files on the computers? [YES]

Or is it some kind of a proprietary backup where I only able to read the files using Synology software? [NO]

I am thinking 1 bay because DS118 specs is better than DS218J (for the $$ I am willing to invest). Not sure if 218J spec can be future proof for next 5 years with only me and family members (4 users) using it to backup files, music, access remotely, etc..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro..

Correct.

218J wil serve its purpose unless you going to use your nas for more cpu or memory intensive application.

harharhar

Reaction score
I almost pulled the trigger during sale last week. After much consideration, I think I should just go for the DS 218J for my current usage (steaming to TV & mobile devices).

But now the prices went back up already :(
Maybe I'll wait for the next round of sale

MRC

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is it overkill to buy DS-918+ just for backup storage for files, photos and some movies? Intending to buy it with 4 Hitachi hdd. Which Raid is more secured? Also where to buy it from to get a better price? Thank you.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it overkill to buy DS-918+ just for backup storage for files, photos and some movies? Intending to buy it with 4 Hitachi hdd. Which Raid is more secured? Also where to buy it from to get a better price? Thank you.
Buy from Lazada when offer is on.
More secured raid usually tradeoff with lesser storage space.
DS418 should meet your requirements. Am using it too

MRC

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Buy from Lazada when offer is on.
More secured raid usually tradeoff with lesser storage space.
DS418 should meet your requirements. Am using it too

I check yesterday no offer so far. Cheapest I saw I think is 68x during some computer fair promo list. Considering to use Raid 6 or 10. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.