Advice needed, camera to rent for my sis wedding.

axelim.sg

Reaction score
Hihi, my sister big day is coming and we're looking forward to it!! (actual day, not pre-wedding photoshoot)
We already engage professional photography and videographer so I'm playing more of secondary role.

Primarily taking video, which camera is recommended?
I'm currently looking at
Sony A9
Sony A7RIII
Sony A7SII
Sony A7III (cheapest, less than $100)
Panasonic GH5

For lens, is gmaster 16-35mm F2.8 sufficient or 24-70mm F2.8 is better?
Thanks in advance!

pwnies5600

Reaction score
I have not used the video functions extensively on all of Sony's alpha series cameras but I'd say either get the GH5, A7SII or A7III if you must shoot with the above models. Spec wise, the GH5 is a fantastic camera in the studio since it shoots 4K, slow-mo and the whole shebang. I have not used it for run and gun video before at all. The A7SII has fantastic low light performance so it'll help when it gets dark. Shot a short film last year on it and the video quality is superb (esp if you don't mind colour grading the footage afterwards). The A7III should be pretty comparable with its newer specs.The A9 and A7RIII are more tuned towards photography in my opinion.

Lens wise I'd say get something that's image stabilised with a longer focal length. Something like the 24-105 f/4 G will pair nicely. Reason being those two lenses mentioned aren't stabilised so you may need to carry a monopod around for more steady footage. Otherwise if you very buff and have good balance and control of your core and arm muscles then can handhold la

My opinions above are based on assuming that you at least have a moderate level of understanding of how to use the cameras (exposure, focus etc.).

Just a note on my personal choice though. If you ask me what I'd use to shoot video, especially for a wedding, I wouldn't use any of those above. I will rent a Canon XA35. Sure, it doesn't have 4K, f2.8 aperture, or a full frame sensor. But it is way more compact, easier to hold, and has much better battery life than any DSLR or mirrorless camera can offer. I can get around to tight spots to shoot because it's small and light. I can just carry 1 spare battery; 2 batteries will last me half a day of non-stop recording. It has XLR inputs for a better microphone to give better audio. Most importantly, curious guests won't come over and disturb me and ask "wow that's a nice camera is it expensive" because it doesn't look as "pro" or intimidating as a video rig would. Less thinking about these other things gives me more time to think about what's infront of the camera; how to frame my shot, how to position, how to account for lighting conditions. These are the factors that ultimately allow me to get better footage. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: the current model seems to be the XA11/XA15.

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you should look up on sony overheating when recording videos.

axelim.sg

Reaction score
I have not used the video functions extensively on all of Sony's alpha series cameras but I'd say either get the GH5, A7SII or A7III if you must shoot with the above models. Spec wise, the GH5 is a fantastic camera in the studio since it shoots 4K, slow-mo and the whole shebang. I have not used it for run and gun video before at all. The A7SII has fantastic low light performance so it'll help when it gets dark. Shot a short film last year on it and the video quality is superb (esp if you don't mind colour grading the footage afterwards). The A7III should be pretty comparable with its newer specs.The A9 and A7RIII are more tuned towards photography in my opinion.

Lens wise I'd say get something that's image stabilised with a longer focal length. Something like the 24-105 f/4 G will pair nicely. Reason being those two lenses mentioned aren't stabilised so you may need to carry a monopod around for more steady footage. Otherwise if you very buff and have good balance and control of your core and arm muscles then can handhold la

My opinions above are based on assuming that you at least have a moderate level of understanding of how to use the cameras (exposure, focus etc.).

Just a note on my personal choice though. If you ask me what I'd use to shoot video, especially for a wedding, I wouldn't use any of those above. I will rent a Canon XA35. Sure, it doesn't have 4K, f2.8 aperture, or a full frame sensor. But it is way more compact, easier to hold, and has much better battery life than any DSLR or mirrorless camera can offer. I can get around to tight spots to shoot because it's small and light. I can just carry 1 spare battery; 2 batteries will last me half a day of non-stop recording. It has XLR inputs for a better microphone to give better audio. Most importantly, curious guests won't come over and disturb me and ask "wow that's a nice camera is it expensive" because it doesn't look as "pro" or intimidating as a video rig would. Less thinking about these other things gives me more time to think about what's infront of the camera; how to frame my shot, how to position, how to account for lighting conditions. These are the factors that ultimately allow me to get better footage. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: the current model seems to be the XA11/XA15.

Thanks!!
Yes, i drop A9 from selection as it tune toward photography and doesnt allow slog recording. GH5 is good but online alot of warning on autofocus issue.

I agree video camera is better, as you mention for example the xa11; however i have to consider i've no experience in using any of those professional camera.

pwnies5600

Reaction score
Thanks!!
Yes, i drop A9 from selection as it tune toward photography and doesnt allow slog recording. GH5 is good but online alot of warning on autofocus issue.

I agree video camera is better, as you mention for example the xa11; however i have to consider i've no experience in using any of those professional camera.

My experience with most handycams (or as some call them, camcorders) is only limited to Canon and Sony cameras. While the Canon XA series camcorders are what I recommend, they may not be available for rental at some places. Thus:

On the Sony side the few I recommend are the AX100 (if you need 4K and a smaller, lighter package) or the NX100(if you want the better ergonomics and significantly better battery life but can forgo the 4K of the AX100). Both cameras have a one-button full auto mode that works relatively well and are equally good choices. Do read up at least a little on how to operate the cameras (youtube tutorials are fine too) before you use them to get a good idea of general handling.

There are a few other Sony handycams such as the one with the built in projector (whatever the model number is) and the NEX-EA50 (heavy and big, more features, bigger sensor, but loses out on ease of use) but none of them has performance that matches the 2 above and is yet is still relatively straightforward to use.

Canon side the newer XA cameras like the 11 and the 15 should be fine. I find the autofocus on Canon's camcorders to be generally better than Sony's but Sony wins out on image quality particularly if you plan to colour grade or crop down the footage. Still, better a shot in focus than none. Canon camcorders also feature full-auto modes.

Canon's higher end XF series and Cinema EOS cameras may be better in specs, but then they require a little more in depth knowledge of video camera operation to use. Same story as the higher end Sony camcorders.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.