The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes is probably my high myopia. Hmm..the shop recommended blue light filter and very high index...i didn't take note which series of Essilor - was already giddy by the high price...that's why i came home and search the forum hoping for some advice :s22:

What are the features of the 3 tiers X series? Thanks!

Blue filter/prevencia for essilor cost 100 more. High index probably caused the lens to cost even more.

You can consider using their average tier, Doesnt have to be essilor. E.g. Zeiss precision plus/Asiana, Hoya Dynamic Trueform, Essilor Physio 3.0. These lenses alr cost lesser but of course if your degree is high then no choice must use high index and thus adds on to the lens price.

X series comes in 3 tiers. 1st-Xclusive(certain shops have this as they need to have a special terminal to measure different aspects of you when you are wearing your frame of choice. E.g. how the frame wraps around your face, the tilt of the frame front and. Your Dominant eye, Your reading habit e.g. eye movement or head movement. These will generate a *special code* that will be sent to essilor/lens company and then will design the lens based on that.

2nd-XTrack, Similar to Xclusive excluding the dominant eye test segment.

3rd-Xdesign, The basic tier but still requires the frame sitting measurements.

Based on feedbacks like i mentioned, the lens has not much complaints so far. I'm not being biased to Essilor, So if you have any questions regarding other lens brand, just feel free to ask! Hoya has their High tier lenses e.g. MYstyle , ID PRIME.. Zeiss precision Superb or even their Individual 2.
It all boils down to the level of comfort you would like to achieve and the price which is affected by which type/brand of lenses you get.

Prices are usually affected by 1)Your degree(high index? or normal)
2)type of frame(frameless/Half frame requires a tougher lens quality e.g. Trivex 1.53 or Polycarbonate 1.59/Airwear)
3)Tier of lenses that you want(wide corridor? smooth progression,lesser distortion.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add on if you guys have other tips too!

GuiGuZi

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi rainbo99,

Tokai Lutina does not have transition add on but another Japanese lens by Asahi-Lite does.

You can ask for 1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic.
Pros:
  • Blocks 94% HEV light
  • Turns dark & reduce glare under Sunlight

Cons:
Its very expensive as its available only in 1.74 index. If possible, good to wait a couple more months. Hopefully these japanese decides to start making 1.60 & 1.67 index.

FREE branded frame promo
How it works: Spend $200 or above on a pair of frame + lenses to get a FREE branded frame.

:)

Hi, may I know how much is the "1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic" mentioned?

KeytoFreedom

Master Member
Reaction score
EyezoneOpticalSG and GANGSTERKIA, Thanks for your valuable advice! Will have to consider progressive eventually.

i can't see near very well now with lao hua catching up....If i get a pair of purely lao hua glasses just to see near (bearing in mind my high myopia) - can i read the newspaper clearly?

Reaction score
EyezoneOpticalSG and GANGSTERKIA, Thanks for your valuable advice! Will have to consider progressive eventually.

i can't see near very well now with lao hua catching up....If i get a pair of purely lao hua glasses just to see near (bearing in mind my high myopia) - can i read the newspaper clearly?

Yup definitely. But pure lao hua glasses is limited to a certain range of use (e.g. Clear within 35-45cm away from eyes). If newspaper is clear and sharp, computer (intermediate) will not be so sharp.

Reaction score
Is Tokai Neurogran available locally?

Seems like very few optical shops offer Tokai PALs!

Shamir is slightly better = at least it has local presence online

Hello ERT,

Tokai Neurogran is not available locally. The available designs are: Perfect Match & Resonas range.

Yeah totally agree with the local online presence issue. The japs seems to be pretty bad at that and they hardly do any marketing as well. Probably that's why they managed to keep their cost low and retail at a lower price for the same quality?

ERT

Reaction score
Are Shamir Progressive Freeform designs say Autograph III radically different from say Tokai’s Resonas WS Freeform design?

I read there is molded freeform progressive lens vs digital designed freeform progressive lens? There’s a ton of reading on progressive lens designs and I am no optometrist.

To prescribe Tokai Resonas WS or Shamir Autograph III, do local optometrists have to be specially trained by Tokai or Shamir Singapore respectively to measure clients’ myopia + astigmatism + presbyopia + IPD + vertical fitting height to obtain accurate specific readings of clients’ vision?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are Shamir Progressive Freeform designs say Autograph III radically different from say Tokai’s Resonas WS Freeform design?

I read there is molded freeform progressive lens vs digital designed freeform progressive lens? There’s a ton of reading on progressive lens designs and I am no optometrist.

Do local optometrists have to be specially trained by Tokai or Shamir Singapore to measure clients’ myopia + astigmatism + presbyopia + IPD + vertical fitting height to prescribe accurate readings of clients’ vision?

A progressive lens is made using calculations of thousands of points on a single lens. The whole process of calculation, back surfacing, polishing, hardcoat application & multicoating varies across different labs. E.g. Autograph III from Shamir USA vs Shamir Singapore might have different performance & comfort due to machinery & processing differences. With that, its not possible to compare between both brands performance. Unless you just want to compare what they show on paper.

Indeed there's tons of readings and each brand/sponsored post will claim that their lenses are the best. That's what marketing does anyway. But, labs would usually give optometrists progressive lenses to try out. We would sell those that we are confident in having best comfort & least issues.

No training is provided by either companies for refraction. Troubleshooting support, yes.

ERT

Reaction score
Has Eye Zone Optical prescribe Shamir Autograph III with Transitions Signature VII and Tokai Resonas WS with Transitions Signature VII and Hoyalux ID Prime with Sensity + Blue Control? And compare them side-by-side.

How do these three progressive lens compare in terms of lens clarity aka light transmittance rate & the performance of their free form designs for a client whose eyes are ultra sensitive to peripheral vision distortion and is a first time wearer of progressive lens.

Client vision suffers -0.75 D myopia, -0.25 D astigmatism with +1.50 D presbyopia. Currently only wears single vision lenses when outdoors, none indoors [in office or home] and looking to pick a pair of photochromic progressive lenses that provide the least amount of distortion with the smallest region. Plus high lens clarity for brighter images in the far, intermediate & near distance. And with Transitions Signature VII.

Last edited:

kelvinloh

Reaction score
Hi, Need some advise. I went to an optical shop and was quoted $800 for a American optics lens (with transition). My eyes power are 1100 and 950 with astigmatism 200 and 150 The shop owner said there is no need to add blue filter if you already on transition lens, sound correct? and I can only do 1.67.

Last edited:

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, Need some advise. I went to an optical shop and was quoted $800 for a American optics lens (with transition). My eyes power are 1100 and 950 with astigmatism 200 and 150 The shop owner said there is no need to add blue filter if you already on transition lens, sound correct? and I can only do 1.67.
American optics still around, quite rare if I'm not wrong. I like this brand but sadly my regular shop no longer carry it, don't mind can pm me the shop u went to? Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey! Not necessarily transition don’t need blue filter! He might be helping you save cost or maybe your requirement doesn’t require you to have blue filter. Transition only helps to reduce glare when you are out in the sun but doesn’t help with filtering out bluelight or when you are indoor. Thus it really depends on whether your job exposes you to blue light constantly or if you feel that constantly staring at screens causes you to have fatigue/tired eyes!
Hope this helps!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
There are many shops that still carries AO lenses. One reputable one that you can consider might be sintat optical at (old)Katong shopping mall. Or you can head down a few shops away to jamco to check it out too!

American optics still around, quite rare if I'm not wrong. I like this brand but sadly my regular shop no longer carry it, don't mind can pm me the shop u went to? Thanks.

StealthShadow

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting new specs and there's so much to read up...

I'm looking at all the differnt photochromic lens, which one is the best in terms of darkness and fade back time? is transitions worth the price (compared to other brands with photochromic lens like zeiss, hoya) or is it marketing?

from youtube videos i've seen online, it seems like Hoya Sensity gets darker than Transitions 7, which i like. No tint indoors like the Transitions Xtractive too. But i heard that Hoya lens scratch easily?

also, is it true that photochromic lens help to block some HEV light too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting new specs and there's so much to read up...

I'm looking at all the differnt photochromic lens, which one is the best in terms of darkness and fade back time? is transitions worth the price (compared to other brands with photochromic lens like zeiss, hoya) or is it marketing?

from youtube videos i've seen online, it seems like Hoya Sensity gets darker than Transitions 7, which i like. No tint indoors like the Transitions Xtractive too. But i heard that Hoya lens scratch easily?

also, is it true that photochromic lens help to block some HEV light too?

Hi! Photochromic lenses blocks UV up to 400nm. HEV light is from 400-450nm, with 400-420nm being the most damaging to our eyes.

Unless the photochromic lenses have HEV blocking properties, otherwise it does not block HEV

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.