HDB flat paid fully with CPF is a big mistake?

eSlackeR

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it true that if we have paid fully for a HDB flat with CPF is a wrong move?...

I was told by my relative that I should not have paid in full as he mentioned I have lose out on the insurance whereby if one of the owner pass away, the house will be free for the other owner...

I believe what he meant was HPS?... :s11:

But when I collect key that time, HDB wipeout all my CPF and no loan require...
They did not ask me for a choice to use HDB loan...

I am confuse...

Thank you in advance...

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask your relative; then if your spouse don’t die, you know how much interest you will be paying?

HPS also gian, really chao sinkie to the max sia.

theblueark

Reaction score
No difference from buying a term insurance and getting a payout when spouse die. They got buy big big big premium life insurance? If never buy is a wrong move cos they miss out the chance to get big big big payout when spouse die.

If you gian, you can still go buy a term insurance the exact same value as your HDB flat. So if one owner die your flat is "free".

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you gian, you can still go buy a term insurance the exact same value as your HDB flat. So if one owner die your flat is "free".

This one is a better choice. You get to 'earn' more, since it is not diminishing as compared to HPS which is a form of mortgage insurance. :D

eSlackeR

Reaction score
Appreciate guys for the responses!...

I understand now... I will just ignore it then...

Anyway, I am just happy that I got a rooftop over my head...

Thanks!...

noel13

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it true that if we have paid fully for a HDB flat with CPF is a wrong move?...

I was told by my relative that I should not have paid in full as he mentioned I have lose out on the insurance whereby if one of the owner pass away, the house will be free for the other owner...

I am confuse...

Thank you in advance...

1) HPS is 1 thing
2) Accured interests is also a factor you should consider.
Later when u sell than u will know why. (Big Can)
3) Interests is low for housing no need to rush.

Hence they are right

For your case all wont applied as u opt for HDB loan.
So above factors that i have mention on top wont do any differences to you.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am confuse...

Thank you in advance...

Your relative is based on quite a old concept and theory on HDB flat ownership upon the death of the sole paymaster of the HDB loan.

History.
In the past, when the owner passed away and the co-owner will have to continue to make good the loan payment in order to continue to own & live in the said flat.
At that time there were many cases where the owner who was the sole breadwinner and payment for the HDB loan, and the co-owner had no money &or work.
The living co-owner was forced to either moved out (nowhere to stay) or buy over by takeover & continue to service the HDB loan.
It was at this stage that these co-owner without any money was forced out of the HDB flat to nowhere to stay.

Hence there come this dilemma in order to let the living co-owner to continue to live in the said flat.
This is where from that point onward, all HDB Loan will include an insurance scheme.
When the owner passed away and the balance of the loan will be insured.
This is so that the co-owner will have the rights to take ownership and without the need to pay for the reminder loan to the HDB.

This is where your relative means in "the house will be free for the other owner".

In short as like others had mentioned, it is just an insurance scheme.
As like in any other insurance plan there is some form of payment required.

Hyruga

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still must pay back cpf accured interest.

Stay another 20 years, pay back another 20 years of accrued interest.

Correct me if I am wrong.

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not to clear property loan. Accured interest per year Ai about 8k.

To-date interest is already 18k.

eSlackeR

Reaction score
So for my case as I have fully paid the BTO without any HDB or Bank loan, I only have to worried about the CPF accrued interest when I sell the house right?...

As long as I do not have any intention to sell the house and live in it for life, I have nothing to worry about the interest...

Correct me if I am wrong...

theblueark

Reaction score
So for my case as I have fully paid the BTO without any HDB or Bank loan, I only have to worried about the CPF accrued interest when I sell the house right?...

As long as I do not have any intention to sell the house and live in it for life, I have nothing to worry about the interest...

Yes correct. Plus even if you sell, the money goes back into your own CPF. Still yours.

And if the sale results in less than the CPF used + accrued interest, there is no need to top up the accrued interest in cash.

iphone1s

Reaction score
I would like to ask how the contribution to CPF affects the loan payment.

Assuming I earn $3,500.00 per month.

Employee CPF = $700.00
Employer CPF = $595.00
Total = $1,295.00

After splitting up OA, SA, Medisave, assuming I have, assuming ar... $1,109 left. Can I instruct CPF to disburse $1,100 to HDB?

:s12:

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After splitting up OA, SA, Medisave, assuming I have, assuming ar... $1,109 left. Can I instruct CPF to disburse $1,100 to HDB?

Yes you can, based on the assumed amount.

Realistically, the said amount allocated to OA will be $805.12 though if you are aged 35 and below, and $735.18 for above 35 to 45, and so on.

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score

Yes, however if your house valuation appreciate more than your CPF interest, then even sell house also no need to worry. :D
Or if i can phrase it this way, if inflation out paces your CPF interest rate then you should be fine when you sell :D

Last edited:

eSlackeR

Reaction score
Yes correct. Plus even if you sell, the money goes back into your own CPF. Still yours.

And if the sale results in less than the CPF used + accrued interest, there is no need to top up the accrued interest in cash.

Yes, however if your house valuation appreciate more than your CPF interest, then even sell house also no need to worry. :D
Or if i can phrase it this way, if inflation out paces your CPF interest rate then you should be fine when you sell :D

Appreciate for the clarification guys!... Fully understood... :)

In that case, if I ever thinking of selling my BTO I need to take note of the CPF accrued interest amount incurred to be safe for the sales proceed...

Thanks again all!...

Incognito1979

Reaction score

In that case, if I ever thinking of selling my BTO I need to take note of the CPF accrued interest amount incurred to be safe for the sales proceed...

Thanks again all!...

Yep the accrued interest is rather painful if you re a property investor and go CPF all in. Lol

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks again all!...

You can know and monitor how much is your accrued interest at any time by login to your account via CPF website.

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wrong move in terms of 0.1% interest diff betwn hdb loan n cpf oa int rate.

not wrong move in terms of HPS. for a 300k reducing term mortgage, hdb hps is hundreds of dollars. aviva 1mill term is only 300+ to 400+ a year.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.