Bachelors Second Upper Class Honours

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, want to get views from you all. What does it mean if you got a second upper class honours degree?

How is it different from a normal degree or a local uni degree? How we rack up against local uni? In terms of Job rank, job pay, job opportunities?

bartblue

Reaction score
Hi, want to get views from you all. What does it mean if you got a second upper class honours degree?

How is it different from a normal degree or a local uni degree? How we rack up against local uni? In terms of Job rank, job pay, job opportunities?

It means you got 4.0-4.49/5 for your degree if max GPA is 5. All your other questions don't make sense.

divasion

Master Member
Reaction score
It means you got 4.0-4.49/5 for your degree if max GPA is 5. All your other questions don't make sense.

i think he/she meant if private degree 2nd upper honours, in terms of comparison or local uni equivalent,what is it like?

Smth like a private degree (uol) 1st class honors is equivalent to a local uni, 3rd class honors (Nus) (not a exact comparison, just to make an example to see if that is what the TS is asking)

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think he/she meant if private degree 2nd upper honours, in terms of comparison or local uni equivalent,what is it like?

Smth like a private degree (uol) 1st class honors is equivalent to a local uni, 3rd class honors (Nus) (not a exact comparison, just to make an example to see if that is what the TS is asking)

Yes. This is what I meant. Actually i dont know why we call it private degree when its not private degree, its just overseas uni degree.

Yes, I just got a second upper class honours. What is it equivalent to in local uni context? Also in terms of Job opportunities and advancement. Do we have the same treatment as those local uni people?

divasion

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. This is what I meant. Actually i dont know why we call it private degree when its not private degree, its just overseas uni degree.

Yes, I just got a second upper class honours. What is it equivalent to in local uni context? Also in terms of Job opportunities and advancement. Do we have the same treatment as those local uni people?

this kind of things hard to say. every company diff requirements, different expectations, different culture. but i would say generally have almost the same treatment bah with local uni with a slight edge over. Unless its like the case where a NUS ,3rd class honours, 5 years experience vs overseas uni, 1st class,no experience, the first one will get the job most likely

some companies may be based on the hurdle approach. for example, having a local uni cert is a must (hurdle 1), if not other aspects( 2nd and any hurdles after that ) like work experience, awards wont even be considered. Basically,u have to clear 1 hurdle before other hurdle. The next example below is a direct opposite approach.

some companies based on overall/compensation award. For example, local uni cert gets a better score in terms of their requirements weightage. However,u can compensate it with work experience.. Something like, local cert(disregard honours, just solely based on local or private) = 5/5, overseas cert = 3/5, then work experience, the local one works for 1 year only = 2/5 while the overseas cert person works for 4 years already = 5/5. therefore overall for the local cert applicant = 7/10 while the overseas cert one is 8/10. Therefore,the overseas cert one gets the job.

still got other ways they see it,so hard to say

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this kind of things hard to say. every company diff requirements, different expectations, different culture. but i would say generally have almost the same treatment bah with local uni with a slight edge over. Unless its like the case where a NUS ,3rd class honours, 5 years experience vs overseas uni, 1st class,no experience, the first one will get the job most likely

some companies may be based on the hurdle approach. for example, having a local uni cert is a must (hurdle 1), if not other aspects( 2nd and any hurdles after that ) like work experience, awards wont even be considered. Basically,u have to clear 1 hurdle before other hurdle. The next example below is a direct opposite approach.

some companies based on overall/compensation award. For example, local uni cert gets a better score in terms of their requirements weightage. However,u can compensate it with work experience.. Something like, local cert(disregard honours, just solely based on local or private) = 5/5, overseas cert = 3/5, then work experience, the local one works for 1 year only = 2/5 while the overseas cert person works for 4 years already = 5/5. therefore overall for the local cert applicant = 7/10 while the overseas cert one is 8/10. Therefore,the overseas cert one gets the job.

still got other ways they see it,so hard to say

Thanks. Appreciate that. I have this conclusion too. I have a few years Of experience and now add on a second upper class degree. Have to fight with those fresh grads from local uni with no experience.

Some say some companies see your experience. Some see your school ( which I conclude is govt job).

divasion

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciate that. I have this conclusion too. I have a few years Of experience and now add on a second upper class degree. Have to fight with those fresh grads from local uni with no experience.

Some say some companies see your experience. Some see your school ( which I conclude is govt job).

So yea depends. i think becasecause 2nd upper honors, got experience. should be relative "okay" in terms of difficulty to find job, in between difficult and easy...

i think for ur case,generally shouldn't have MUCH issues to get a job.

Unless ur that company that u want to apply only want see is local or private cert.they dont care other aspects like job experience.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

its not really just an overseas degree.
some claim a true overseas degree carries more weight than "private"
since U have a few years of experience I am quite surprise to see U ask job opportunities and advancement, treatment etc.

These are very subjective.
if you selected for interview means U pass the basic HR requirement.
BOSS really depends on what he/she is looking for.
some just want a obedient worker, not too smart to challenge the BOSS.

advancement is never about paper unless u from Ivy/oxbridge. since U are from call private that is out of qns. our local Ivy don't fall into that bucket.

treatment - depends on your colleague and Bosses. if you surrounded by snobbish local, u may not fit in. if you know how to win your boss "love" outside work, he/she may treat U well at work.. say u guys go same church or your kid is your Boss kids senior and is always helping out.. changes the paying field... never better if U dating your VP's kid... wow. u winner.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So yea depends. i think becasecause 2nd upper honors, got experience. should be relative "okay" in terms of difficulty to find job, in between difficult and easy...

i think for ur case,generally shouldn't have MUCH issues to get a job.

Unless ur that company that u want to apply only want see is local or private cert.they dont care other aspects like job experience.

Thanks. I have not really met with any scenarios that I'm unable to match those fresh grads from local universities. Except for those in government jobs.:s12:

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its not really just an overseas degree.
some claim a true overseas degree carries more weight than "private"
since U have a few years of experience I am quite surprise to see U ask job opportunities and advancement, treatment etc.

These are very subjective.
if you selected for interview means U pass the basic HR requirement.
BOSS really depends on what he/she is looking for.
some just want a obedient worker, not too smart to challenge the BOSS.

advancement is never about paper unless u from Ivy/oxbridge. since U are from call private that is out of qns. our local Ivy don't fall into that bucket.

treatment - depends on your colleague and Bosses. if you surrounded by snobbish local, u may not fit in. if you know how to win your boss "love" outside work, he/she may treat U well at work.. say u guys go same church or your kid is your Boss kids senior and is always helping out.. changes the paying field... never better if U dating your VP's kid... wow. u winner.

never better if U dating your VP's kid... wow. u winner.
wah, this one really ankak. Haha, ture though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.