[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harharhar

Reaction score
Anyone tried hosting a wordpress website on Synology? How good is it? Should I just get a “regular” web hosting instead?

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried hosting a wordpress website on Synology? How good is it? Should I just get a “regular” web hosting instead?

I have not hosted wordpress but tried the web station with normal html/css website and drupal. Runs decent for low usage, not sure if it can cope with high traffic though.

If you leave your NAS powered 24/7 and exposed to the internet, then go ahead and try. :D

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
how much?

i bought Synology DS416 4BAY 1yr ago.

Is it overkill to buy DS-918+ just for backup storage for files, photos and some movies? Intending to buy it with 4 Hitachi hdd. Which Raid is more secured? Also where to buy it from to get a better price? Thank you.

wizardundo

Reaction score
The lowest price I saw for DS 418 was $489 (before any discount code) during the sale weeks ago.

ancientczx

Reaction score
Good day all,

I'm a videographer/photographer accumulating disk space, currently using 2 x 4TB ext hard drive (1 for work and the other is a clone). But they are currently full to the brim. Recently started shooting 4K video, that's probably why.

Looking at purchasing a DS418j, with 4 x WD RED 4TB.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers!

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have an odd problem with my DS214SE.

I changed my computer recently. Now when I access the NAS, files get corrupted.

E.g. when I move a mp4 file out of the NAS to my main computer, it becomes a 0-byte directory instead.

If I immediately press ctrl-z to undo this, the file on the NAS becomes that 0-byte directory. That means I have totally lost the file and cannot recover it.

Is this a known problem? Using windows 10 1803.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have an odd problem with my DS214SE.

I changed my computer recently. Now when I access the NAS, files get corrupted.

E.g. when I move a mp4 file out of the NAS to my main computer, it becomes a 0-byte directory instead.

If I immediately press ctrl-z to undo this, the file on the NAS becomes that 0-byte directory. That means I have totally lost the file and cannot recover it.

Is this a known problem? Using windows 10 1803.
Is your ds241se running raid 1 or SHR? What is the volume status?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shr. Volume is fine. No problem with previous computer.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shr. Volume is fine. No problem with previous computer.

A word of advice for you, don't move files/folders. Use copy instead. Delete source folders/files later once confirm destination got the stuff.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Copy is the same, everything coming out is 0 bytes
Whether I map as drive letter or download through the DSM file manager

setiardi

Reaction score
Stay away from WD Red HDD, get Toshiba 7200rpm HDD instead.

Bad advice, stay with WD Red. 2 Toshiba 7200rpm failed on me this month alone. Lucky on SHR-2 setup.
Bought 4 WD Purple to replace my existing Toshiba as I lost confidence in them. Why WD Purple? Because Challenger selling the 3tb @$139. Purple ones is design for 24/7 surveillance. But is ok since I 24/7 my NAS.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bad advice, stay with WD Red. 2 Toshiba 7200rpm failed on me this month alone. Lucky on SHR-2 setup.
Bought 4 WD Purple to replace my existing Toshiba as I lost confidence in them. Why WD Purple? Because Challenger selling the 3tb @$139. Purple ones is design for 24/7 surveillance. But is ok since I 24/7 my NAS.
Before going further, can you tell us where you bought the Toshiba HDD and how long been using them?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lol. Your advice.. is worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.