2018 iPad Pro

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iPad 10.5 really shiok. Why can’t they put Mac OS inside?

I don't think it is impossible since their SOCs are already starting to catch up with Intel's. In fact with the new features added in iOS 11 and the upcoming iOS 12, the line is starting to get blurry since Apple is also starting to introduce features in MacOS to iOS.

Having said that, MacOS is likely more taxing on the hardware and likely may result in a faster batter drain. iOS is lighter since it is anyway built with the intention for mobile use, i.e. iPhone and iPad.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My very first iPad was the mini and I absolutely loved its portability, hence mini 2 and then mini 4. Up to only recently I decided to upgrade as the mini 4’s getting slower and lagging when I played some games. Hence I upgraded to the 10.5” Pro and it’s miles ahead of the mini 4.

I still have my mini 4 but maybe reserving it for light tasks.

There are many reasons for the slowdown. The SOC in Mini 4 is quite old, i.e. A8, and gaming on it is also hampered by the limited amount of memory. With the recent security issue with modern processors, Apple's SOCs are also not exempted. The resulting patch takes quite a big toll on performance for the older SOCs. At least Apple mentioned that they did not throttle the SOC on the iPads, I do hope not.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons for the slowdown. The SOC in Mini 4 is quite old, i.e. A8, and gaming on it is also hampered by the limited amount of memory. With the recent security issue with modern processors, Apple's SOCs are also not exempted. The resulting patch takes quite a big toll on performance for the older SOCs. At least Apple mentioned that they did not throttle the SOC on the iPads, I do hope not.

Despite being quite slow, the A8 is still very usable. From the A10 onwards, Apple has been giving the SOC names such as Fusion and Bionic. Supposedly these names mean something, as in more advanced features and specs compared to the regular A9 and below, the A10 and A11 could both be excelling in performance by a huge margin compared to their predecessors.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Despite being quite slow, the A8 is still very usable. From the A10 onwards, Apple has been giving the SOC names such as Fusion and Bionic. Supposedly these names mean something, as in more advanced features and specs compared to the regular A9 and below, the A10 and A11 could both be excelling in performance by a huge margin compared to their predecessors.

I think they named it Fusion because its got both high and low performance cores. This I believe is the first time Apple adopted the high and low performance cores to improve power efficiency.

Bionic is named mainly because of the integration of the AI component to the SOC.

With each generation, Apple always push the performance boundary which I guess is good. Looking forward to see the A11X though. Usually it is the X variant that looks really exciting for me.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think they named it Fusion because its got both high and low performance cores. This I believe is the first time Apple adopted the high and low performance cores to improve power efficiency.

Bionic is named mainly because of the integration of the AI component to the SOC.

With each generation, Apple always push the performance boundary which I guess is good. Looking forward to see the A11X though. Usually it is the X variant that looks really exciting for me.

Yes so it gets better every time. The X variant usually adopted by the high-end iPads, now the Pro series is actually inclusive of more cores compared to the non-X variant.

The current A10X in the current gen Pros are already blazing fast, imagine what the A11X can do! :eek:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes so it gets better every time. The X variant usually adopted by the high-end iPads, now the Pro series is actually inclusive of more cores compared to the non-X variant.

The current A10X in the current gen Pros are already blazing fast, imagine what the A11X can do! :eek:

With the A11 out for sometime, we should be able to get a sense on what to expect for the A11X. However, I feel the A10X is also starting to be an overkill for iOS as some reviews out there mentioned. So the improvements from A11X may not be that attractive. But I am looking forward to it still. May decide between the new iPad Pro and the existing one if the price is back to 1.2K or less for the 512GB version. :)

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
:p that's going backward... I specially like 10" coz its closer to iPad Mini and found the 12" I previously owned was too big too carry around...

I think the 11" will be in the same/similar physical size as the 10" one man. just less bezels

rvyne7

Reaction score
I think the 11" will be in the same/similar physical size as the 10" one man. just less bezels

:p I hope so.... if they just refresh iPad mini really couldn't care less about what the rest of the world want haha

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the A11 out for sometime, we should be able to get a sense on what to expect for the A11X. However, I feel the A10X is also starting to be an overkill for iOS as some reviews out there mentioned. So the improvements from A11X may not be that attractive. But I am looking forward to it still. May decide between the new iPad Pro and the existing one if the price is back to 1.2K or less for the 512GB version. :)

Not so possible as 512GB is very expensive, even for the wifi version. In fact, I find that my 64GB wifi one is already expensive. :s13:

Yes the A10X is blazing fast with hexa-cores, so I'm presuming the A11X should be octa-core. :D

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:p I hope so.... if they just refresh iPad mini really couldn't care less about what the rest of the world want haha

iPad mini Pro would really be a nice name for a mini 4 upgrade (if any).

Bryson

Reaction score
Just bought an iPad 2018 and wondering how to edit raw photos on it. What apps do you recommend?

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought an iPad 2018 and wondering how to edit raw photos on it. What apps do you recommend?

Just to side-track a little. I typically wouldn't edit photos on my iPad, so using Adobe Ps/Lr on my MBP instead.

If you can wait a while longer, Adobe's releasing the Ps Express for the iPad soon.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not so possible as 512GB is very expensive, even for the wifi version. In fact, I find that my 64GB wifi one is already expensive. :s13:

Yes the A10X is blazing fast with hexa-cores, so I'm presuming the A11X should be octa-core. :D

Check Lazada. The 1.2K deal is back for the Rose Gold 512GB iPad Pro.

Search for "Apple iPad Pro 10.5-inch Wi-Fi Rose Gold 512GB".

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.