Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normal price is over $200... looks like GSS is happening

S2000Pro at $449 and M3600DB at $149 too, among others with price dropped

Good time to buy

Ya.. I have received my
Edifier R1850DB for only $169!
:)

Though after hearing it, I think I can lived with the R1280DB which is selling for $119.

The Edifier is GREAT! I bought the R1850DB because I want an option to add a SUBwoofer. But i guess there is no need for it if you are using it in a bedroom.

THe sound stage is HUGE! and BASS is quite powerful already.
thumping if u place the speakers near corners and walls.
voice reproduction is quite lifelive and natural... it does goes to show a large speaker can do miracles at low volume versus trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of a small desktop speakers ..
I'm still amazed by the lows... it's not subwoofer rumble... type.. but when watching netflix... the dinosaurs steps and roar feels the room and u can feel the "wind" at you ..lol... u can really feel it roar and move towards you..

Now..i am wondering what would happen if i buy a wharfdale 10 woofer at placed it inside my bedroom .. LOL...

I did a comparison test with my Phillips Fidelio soundbar downstairs in my living room. Well, I find fidelio sounds more refined and warm. Very good and sooth for long listening..

The edifier is a little brighter and kinda lacks the warmth. But it's not too bad because I have the BOSE companion 20 next to it ..and I can always switch when i want some warmth. Though, u could dabble with the treble/bass control at the back of the edifier... I didn't ...

Long story short, if it's gonna be your first desktop speakers, go with the Edifier! Cheap and good. The sound is enough for a room and there's really no need to upgrade.

The finishing is also very good... heavy set of speakers with solid wood MDF enclosures...!

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That seems to be Edifier's house sound. Seems to be lacking in 500Hz ± 1 octave. But this somewhat offsets the effect of a large room and long listening distance. Sucks for desktop listening tho, but that's why you have a Bose.

Danny1982

Reaction score
That seems to be Edifier's house sound. Seems to be lacking in 500Hz ± 1 octave. But this somewhat offsets the effect of a large room and long listening distance. Sucks for desktop listening tho, but that's why you have a Bose.

Any idea when will the Edifier S880DB will be out in Singapore? :)

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hey wwenze,

Saw your post about infinity woofer , Infinity Primus PS28.

Do you think this would go well with the Edifier R1850db?

4inch speakers ..match with 8inch woofer..

dunno whether it's overkill for a bedroom..

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm more of a Wharfedale guy

https://www.lazada.sg/products/whar...earchlistbrand.list.1.36a32787XveDfg&search=1

4 inch with sub is ok... 5-inch with sub is ok... 3-inch with sub is ok... 7-inch with sub is also ok because the sub does a different job from the speakers.

Only problem is when the sub is for example a 6-inch sub rated for 40Hz and your main speakers already do 40Hz (after EQ or whatever) so there is little benefit.

Amon86

Reaction score
I found these Horn Onkyo Sc-3 to be interesting

onkyo_sc3_test_web.jpg

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More particular on music, though use for movies as well.

I went for 6.5-inch passive bookshelf -- these are 40hz ~ dont think I need sub at all - definitely more clutter without much advantage - in fact I consider sub a disadvantage from audiophile pov.

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
More particular on music, though use for movies as well.

I went for 6.5-inch passive bookshelf -- these are 40hz ~ dont think I need sub at all - definitely more clutter without much advantage - in fact I consider sub a disadvantage from audiophile pov.
depends on which music you listen to.

i use 6.5inch passive bookshelf 38hz

there are times when i just on 12inch sub for fun

Slpy

Master Member
Reaction score
hello all, hopefully you can share a decent 2.0 speaker

i'm looking for something which is good on the clarity to link up to my pc for mainly music
my creative t3 broke down, and i didnt quite like the heavy bass it had
creative was trying to market me the katana, but online reviews from the infamous thread made me look another way

budget around 300-350

thanks

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i'm looking for something which is good on the clarity to link up to my pc for mainly music
creative was trying to market me the katana, but online reviews from the infamous thread made me look another way

budget around 300-350

thanks

Confirm is Edifier r1850db .. I bought this from QOo.. very cheap at $169 and you don't even need a subwoofer. But if u need, u can always add after buying.

Qoo Edifier R1850db for $169

But my own opinion only, if i had a choice, i would maybe have bought the R1280db for $119 ($50 cheaper) .. but the sound quality should not be too far off the R1850db ... But that one is without the Subwoofer line-out function.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the sound quality "should not be too far off"... but then again sound is hard to quantify and a $100 speaker can also be "not too far off" from a $1000 one

A comparison I made:

b3x4P7p.png

13mm tweeter to 19mm is a critical improvement, even if just due to the size. The drivers also look better quality on the R1850DB.

But then if get R1850DB might as well spend a bit more and get R2000DB which looks even more worth the money

But with the same thinking, if get R2000DB might as well get S1000, which isn't in Singapore, but if it was in Singapore it would be right in between the R2000DB and S2000PRO

But if get S1000, might as well get S2000PRO etc

But if all the speakers give this feeling, that means all of them are just as value-for-money.

So this is why I feel all the speakers are good choices so just choose whatever happens to fit your budget.

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score

budget around 300-350

thanks
You'll be fine with swans and edifier.

Can consider r2000db and swans d1080

It's worth spending more so you don't have to upgrade in future.

Naqsaq

Reaction score
I'm getting a pair of Genelec G Three and a F Two sub (btw the price here in SG is the same as in Europe!). My TV will be the only audio source, with PCM option so no need for any decoding. The front channels can be either balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA, but the LFE is only unbalanced RCA. The sub has wireless volume control for the whole system, thus I'm looking for a simple box that would do:

• Optical -> balanced XLR in 5.1
  • Optical -> balanced XLR in 2.1
  • Optical -> unbalanced RCA in 5.1
  • Optical -> unbalanced RCA in 2.1

Do any of these exist?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to connect the speakers to the sub to let the sub handle the crossover and volume.

So all you need is optical to unbalanced RCA in 2.0, connect to subwoofer L/R input, then subwoofer connect to front speakers. LFE connector should not be used.

Naqsaq

Reaction score
You're supposed to connect the speakers to the sub to let the sub handle the crossover and volume.

So all you need is optical to unbalanced RCA in 2.0, connect to subwoofer L/R input, then subwoofer connect to front speakers. LFE connector should not be used.

Actually no. The sub will do the crossover for the main speakers (27 Hz - 85 Hz), but it will also produce the content of the LFE channel when present (27 Hz - 120 Hz).

I found "5.1 Audio Rush Digital Sound Decoder Converter" (sorry can't post any links yet) from Aliexpress, but I wonder about the quality of the DAC...

It would also be best to keep everything digital and balanced, but I guess I'm out of luck with a simple DAC with XLR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.