Home Automation Enthusiasts

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
With Neutral, I bought like 20x non-neutral switches at first, but people recommending go for Neutral switches, made the switch and pulled the Neutral wires at very last minute lol

Changed the switches on my own too, first time doing it, quite straight forward, connect back the same as original dumb switch nia.. but it's messy and also tiring lol

Before
GnIQpHZ.jpg

After
22sa9aV.jpg

Each switch diy save me $30.. :D

Same here- it's not just about the savings, it's more for the satisfaction of fixing it up by yourself- that's something money can't buy.

I can remember my father and my uncles, the older generation males, man of the house, whenever something at home breaks down, they will take out their tool box from the storeroom and get it fixed. These days, a tap leak, a light flicker, a router shows orange light, people will more often than not pick up the phone and pay someone 50 bucks to get it fixed. Nothing wrong with that, each one of us has $50 to spare I'm sure, but I am one who prefers to learn how to fish than be given a fish.

233mmx

Reaction score
Same here- it's not just about the savings, it's more for the satisfaction of fixing it up by yourself- that's something money can't buy.

I can remember my father and my uncles, the older generation males, man of the house, whenever something at home breaks down, they will take out their tool box from the storeroom and get it fixed. These days, a tap leak, a light flicker, a router shows orange light, people will more often than not pick up the phone and pay someone 50 bucks to get it fixed. Nothing wrong with that, each one of us has $50 to spare I'm sure, but I am one who prefers to learn how to fish than be given a fish.

thumbs up for the DIY spirit! :D

powerpack8

Reaction score
Finally, have some time to setup the Aqara curtain motor! Configured On/Off to a spare Aqara switch button for the ease of usage.

Please pardon the music, didn't realize to switch off the speaker while recording

Bought the DT82 curtain rail from Aliexpress, cost around $70-ish and motor from taobao. Quite a hassle to get it fixed but diy-able. :o

tazy_tazy

Reaction score
Where u manage to get your aqara neutral switch? If I buy from china directly, will be the same right?

Finally, have some time to setup the Aqara curtain motor! Configured On/Off to a spare Aqara switch button for the ease of usage.

Please pardon the music, didn't realize to switch off the speaker while recording

Bought the DT82 curtain rail from Aliexpress, cost around $70-ish and motor from taobao. Quite a hassle to get it fixed but diy-able. :o

tambaididi

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Getting my house renovation underway. Interested to invest in home automation scene. Should I start from the electrical work (pull the neutral line) or I just slowly get all those smart devices over the period.

Thanks!

Springf

Reaction score
With Neutral, I bought like 20x non-neutral switches at first, but people recommending go for Neutral switches, made the switch and pulled the Neutral wires at very last minute lol

Changed the switches on my own too, first time doing it, quite straight forward, connect back the same as original dumb switch nia.. but it's messy and also tiring lol

Before
GnIQpHZ.jpg

After
22sa9aV.jpg

Each switch diy save me $30.. :D

so how much was the cost of pulling the neutral wire?

shacboi

Reaction score
anyone ventured into HASSBian, HomeAssistant or Homebridge?
I just got the Pi and installed HASSBian.
Have not really played with it to link with RM Pro and ultimately Apple Homekit

been reading alot and getting confused over and over again.

Does anyone has some template of sort for me to start with?
Thanks!

Hi there, i also trying the same thing (for Fun) ... haha, but so far havent try the RM PRO thingy , but i somehow manage to add the RM PRO device and can check its... ''temperature'' . LOL ....

i manage to pi-control my AUGUST lock though... click the GUI button...locked... press again unlock.....

still alot to readup n explore....

powerpack8

Reaction score
so how much was the cost of pulling the neutral wire?

I believe the market rate is around $40-$60 / switch. My ID charged me $15/switch as I have extensive reno work with him. My neighbor was charged $60/switch by his ID. I think if you can get below $50 is considered good price already

Shock!

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all what is the most efficient way now to build a new home automation house?

Cost effective, reliability and future-proof wise? If next time wish to link up main door lock, motion sensors, robot vacuum, which option is better?

Thanks in advance...

Option 1: Broadlink CT2 wall switch (lights) >> Broadlink RMpro+ (TV, set top box, aircon) >> Google home mini (voice)

Option 2: Xiaomi Aqara wall switch (lights) >> Xiaomi gateway >> Logitech Harmony Hub (TV, set top box, aircon) >> Google home mini (voice)

Last edited:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all what is the most efficient way now to build a new home automation house?

Cost effective, reliability and future-proof wise? If next time wish to link up main door lock, motion sensors, robot vacuum, which option is better?

Thanks in advance...

Option 1: Broadlink CT2 wall switch (lights) >> Broadlink RMpro+ (TV, set top box, aircon) >> Google home mini (voice)

Option 2: Xiaomi Aqara wall switch (lights) >> Xiaomi gateway >> Logitech Harmony Hub (TV, set top box, aircon) >> Google home mini (voice)

if you want to integrate main door lock as well, you will be limiting yourself to

1.Zigbee/Z Wave
2. Bluetooth with proprietary bluetooth hub.

That's pretty much it for now on the DIY scene.

Shock!

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you want to integrate main door lock as well, you will be limiting yourself to

1.Zigbee/Z Wave
2. Bluetooth with proprietary bluetooth hub.

That's pretty much it for now on the DIY scene.

Hmm thanks for your reply. Would this be a more futureproof ecosystem then?

1. Xiaomi Aqara wall switches (lights) ->
  2. Samsung Smartthings hub (Z wave, Zigbee) ->
  3. Samsung/Yale Z-wave door lock + Logitech Harmony Hub (TV, STB, AC) ->
  4. Google Home mini (voice)

tazy_tazy

Reaction score

Interested to know too

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score

that's almost what i am doing now actually.
I am using XiaomiAqara switches
Hooked up Smartthings hub to August Lock via Z wave
I use Google Assistant / Home Mini to control the lock.

Usually i will take the lift up to my place, step out of lift, say "open sesame" to my phone and the door opens.

CONS
the xiaomi switches dont seem very lasting.

Smart locks are still in their infancy. DIY ones are mostly restricted to deadbolts. Mortise is more popular in SG. Local models are expensive. Korean models arent compatible.

Samsung/Yale models with Z Wave are limited and potentially not compatible with our region. Plus the biggest lock player locally have sales staff who are totally incompetent in product knowledge, have lock installers who only know how to install, not configure them. Total facepalm.

The Xiaomi locks have great value, uses Zigbee / Bluetooth (depending on model), but only restricted to MiHome app, hence proprietary in nature. Also, its only for monitoring lock activity and status, not remote control.Somewhat lame i would say

tazy_tazy

Reaction score
that's almost what i am doing now actually.
I am using XiaomiAqara switches
Hooked up Smartthings hub to August Lock via Z wave
I use Google Assistant / Home Mini to control the lock.

Usually i will take the lift up to my place, step out of lift, say "open sesame" to my phone and the door opens.

CONS
the xiaomi switches dont seem very lasting.

Smart locks are still in their infancy. DIY ones are mostly restricted to deadbolts. Mortise is more popular in SG. Local models are expensive. Korean models arent compatible.

Samsung/Yale models with Z Wave are limited and potentially not compatible with our region. Plus the biggest lock player locally have sales staff who are totally incompetent in product knowledge, have lock installers who only know how to install, not configure them. Total facepalm.

The Xiaomi locks have great value, uses Zigbee / Bluetooth (depending on model), but only restricted to MiHome app, hence proprietary in nature. Also, its only for monitoring lock activity and status, not remote control.Somewhat lame i would say

You are using neutral wire configuration for aqara switches? August lock for main door, how about gate? I saw Yale YDR50G seem like able to use zwave.

So for IR control like TV, media player etc, we use Logitech harmony or there is better choices outside?

aishitexq

Reaction score
Anyone using Alexa having issues this morning?
Woke up this morning and realized my Echo is down. Alexa says “Sorry, I’m having trouble understanding you right now. Please try a little later”

Tried to launch my Amazon Apk on phone but wasnt able to connect. Then tried to reinstall and after log in it shows a page displaying amazon page not found.

Is it just me or others are having issues as well.

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, i also trying the same thing (for Fun) ... haha, but so far havent try the RM PRO thingy , but i somehow manage to add the RM PRO device and can check its... ''temperature'' . LOL ....

i manage to pi-control my AUGUST lock though... click the GUI button...locked... press again unlock.....

still alot to readup n explore....

I didn't have time to explore also
been reading too much i guess that it confuses me over and over

bluez

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Getting my house renovation underway. Interested to invest in home automation scene. Should I start from the electrical work (pull the neutral line) or I just slowly get all those smart devices over the period.

Thanks!

Just wondering what's the final decision?
In the same situation now and am thinking should I just get the neutral wire since easier to choose not to use it after pulling than wanting to rewire after renovation right?

I read that with neutral is better than non neutral. Why is that so?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.