How to be admitted into SIT Occupational Therapy

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi, if you want to be an OT student at SIT, but missed this year's application because you were not shortlisted, this message is for you.

I applied in 2017 but did not get into it too, but after working at a hospital, I used my relevant experience to qualify for the course.

Now the reason I'm putting this here for the world to see is because now that I am leaving my workplace to begin the course in September, I need someone whom I can pass the baton to. That person will need to want to be an OT, and therefore will go the extra mile to learn all he/she can to benefit himself/herself, and subsequently, the hospital. I have been passionate about what I have done at this job, and leaving this place might cripple some of the workflow. I'm somewhat guilty for leaving the place that has provided me the means to continue my education, and therefore I'm looking for possible candidates to take over my work.

I cannot guarantee you success, but I can guarantee you that if you are willing to be humble enough to serve, you can learn so much about Occupational Therapy, because I know I did. There are people who can teach you what you need to know to ace the applications.

This is for those who are absolutely sure this is the path you want. If this is you, I can help recommend you for the job so that the HR processing is faster, and we waste no time.

If this message speaks to you and stirs up hope to continue, please PM me directly and I'll be happy to share more details with you.

MoonLight555

Reaction score
Much Respect to you my Friend,ur passion to help patients had paid off.now ur taking a step further to help and motivate others.you are truly inspiring👍👍👍

sally29

Reaction score
Hi there I am unable to PM as I am new to this forum. I know of someone who needs this and is very much deserving:).Is the offer still available?

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi there I am unable to PM as I am new to this forum. I know of someone who needs this and is very much deserving:).Is the offer still available?

Post is always open, but do PM when you can so I can contact whoever needs to be contacted

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi is the position still available?:) I'm unable to private message you..

Hi, my exact position has been taken. But that doesn't mean you can't join. Then that'll be up to you to forge your own path because I won't be able to hand over my tasks to you, and it'll be up to the management where they wish to place you. Do you have an email I can contact you via?

Otstudent

Reaction score
Update: Thanks for all the correspondence! Some people from this forum have already gotten jobs where I am at, but I realise that we can make this place better with more like-minded people, with more people that believe in OT.

So even though my position is filled, I'd still like to extend an invitation to everyone, who believes that you want to be an OT and are willing to work hard for that future, to come and join. PM me if you want in on this!

Bodohpe

Reaction score
Pathing my own way to get into SIT OT

Hi, if you want to be an OT student at SIT, but missed this year's application because you were not shortlisted, this message is for you.

I applied in 2017 but did not get into it too, but after working at a hospital, I used my relevant experience to qualify for the course.

Now the reason I'm putting this here for the world to see is because now that I am leaving my workplace to begin the course in September, I need someone whom I can pass the baton to. That person will need to want to be an OT, and therefore will go the extra mile to learn all he/she can to benefit himself/herself, and subsequently, the hospital. I have been passionate about what I have done at this job, and leaving this place might cripple some of the workflow. I'm somewhat guilty for leaving the place that has provided me the means to continue my education, and therefore I'm looking for possible candidates to take over my work.

I cannot guarantee you success, but I can guarantee you that if you are willing to be humble enough to serve, you can learn so much about Occupational Therapy, because I know I did. There are people who can teach you what you need to know to ace the applications.

This is for those who are absolutely sure this is the path you want. If this is you, I can help recommend you for the job so that the HR processing is faster, and we waste no time.

If this message speaks to you and stirs up hope to continue, please PM me directly and I'll be happy to share more details with you.

Hello. I am very relieved to hear that there are some people out there that are able to get in after working in relevant field. I just graduated from poly this year with a GPA of 3.09 and i was rejected for this year's intake. Hence i decided to take a gap year. Now, i am studying in HMI Institute of Health Sciences (Therapy) to be a certified therapy assistant. From there n-wards, i would be working in hospital under therapists and plan to apply again next year. However, the lecturers here have been very dis-encouraging, because only few managed to get in. Based on statistics, only 2 students with GPA 3.5 and above with Diploma in Sport Sciences managed to get in after 2 tries. (Worked for 2 years) May I know how long did it take (how many years you worked) you to get accepted for an interview? And, was there any special thing you did that increased your chances for an interview? Would love to know more about your journey! Thank you so much in advance :)

help_98

Reaction score
Hi, I am keen to pursue my career on occupational therapist as I have read alot about it and also since my mum was admitted in the hospital she helped me to find out abit more by speaking to the occcupational therapist. I am aware that SIT offers a degree in OT, and I am extremely keen to go for it, but eventhough my gpa is not out yet I don't think my culmutive GPA will be sufficient enough to get into SIT, Since you have worked as an OT, I would be glad to talk to you to find out more about OT as well as your admission into SIT, I look forward to your email adress particulars so as to pm u, Thank you

SunnyAa

Reaction score
Update: Thanks for all the correspondence! Some people from this forum have already gotten jobs where I am at, but I realise that we can make this place better with more like-minded people, with more people that believe in OT.

So even though my position is filled, I'd still like to extend an invitation to everyone, who believes that you want to be an OT and are willing to work hard for that future, to come and join. PM me if you want in on this!

Hello otstudent, do you mind sharing your email so i can contact you? I am a student who is currently not studying ot, but would very much like to in the future.

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi, I am keen to pursue my career on occupational therapist as I have read alot about it and also since my mum was admitted in the hospital she helped me to find out abit more by speaking to the occcupational therapist. I am aware that SIT offers a degree in OT, and I am extremely keen to go for it, but eventhough my gpa is not out yet I don't think my culmutive GPA will be sufficient enough to get into SIT, Since you have worked as an OT, I would be glad to talk to you to find out more about OT as well as your admission into SIT, I look forward to your email adress particulars so as to pm u, Thank you

I think I'll speak for all, for those asking for my email, instead of answering individually, I'll speak here.

Before you choose what you want to do, firstly ask yourself why this is good for you, why do you want to be an OT? And teh second question is, why are you good to be an OT, or why should you be an OT? I'm currently learning this is what it means to be Occupationally Fit. Haha, that's OT theory for you.

Get to know the profession better, not the school you want to go to. As an OT student, we are told to anchor ourselves to why we are here, is it because we want the title of a medical professional, or do we want to be a good person to help others, or we do this for the relationships we forge with our patients? Have your own philosophy and chase the passion, don't chase the degree.

With regards to GPA, just know that GPA is just one small part of the admissions. If your GPA is small, get something else that speaks bigger. This isn't just about having job experience, job experience means nothing if you learn nothing. You must show that you have the PERSONALITY and the PASSION and the SKILLS for this. Seek out tasks to do, like volunteer weekly at a nursing home, go learn how to communicate with people with disabilities, learn sign language, help your community write letters at MPS, do everything you can to chase what you want.

Also, age is not a problem for admission, there are people in late 40s who are year 1s. That's okay, it's tough, but no one will stop you from trying to be an OT just by your age.

If you have a passion in people, and you recognise that OT is just but a means to an end, go all out for it.

If anyone has anymore questions, just speak here or PM me if you can. Thanks, all the best!

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hello, may I ask you a few questions. I have just graduated from poly this year with gpa 3.9+. I am intending to take a gap year to work as a therapy assistant before enrolling into sit occupational therapy.
May I know how long did it take you to get accepted for an interview and why inspire you to do OT? Would love to know more about your journey:) thank you for sharing.

Hello friend. That GPA is already going to open many doors for you, but do note that grades alone won't get you in, for I know also of a few high flying academics who did not get in! So I'm glad you're going the extra mile to get that extra bit of experience, every bit helps.

How long it took me to get an interview? If you're counting from the time I first got rejected, I suppose that would be one year? Or if you're asking from the second time I applied, I was invited for the interview in one of the last few slots for the MMI because I applied quite late (was busy trying to make sure my application was spotless), that waiting period was quite nerve wrecking while I fretted if I fell through the cracks again, so do yourself a favour and apply as early as you can.

My inspiration for OT is constantly evolving, from being a wannabe, to being a TA, and now being an OT student. Initially, I just didn't like what I was doing prior and I wanted something that I could enjoy, and I like interacting with people. And when I finally get into the job, I see that OT does so much good for people, to incorporate the biopsychosocial needs of people, and communion with full fledged OTs and the heart they give. And now as an OT student, where I'm learning the mechanisms of what OT really is, which I had a very small view of before. My inspiration is the wonder I see in this profession, and for the things that I can do for others. It's a beautiful vocation, and I love it.

Just wanna encourage you for wanting to take a job, because that's not the norm for the young, some even find it embarrassing (I know I did). I'd suggest you find a TA job in the community sector, not the acute (not stopping you if you want to though) because I feel the community is where the OT can truly manifest. All the best!

Pigmentandtoast

Reaction score
Hello friend. That GPA is already going to open many doors for you, but do note that grades alone won't get you in, for I know also of a few high flying academics who did not get in! So I'm glad you're going the extra mile to get that extra bit of experience, every bit helps.

How long it took me to get an interview? If you're counting from the time I first got rejected, I suppose that would be one year? Or if you're asking from the second time I applied, I was invited for the interview in one of the last few slots for the MMI because I applied quite late (was busy trying to make sure my application was spotless), that waiting period was quite nerve wrecking while I fretted if I fell through the cracks again, so do yourself a favour and apply as early as you can.

My inspiration for OT is constantly evolving, from being a wannabe, to being a TA, and now being an OT student. Initially, I just didn't like what I was doing prior and I wanted something that I could enjoy, and I like interacting with people. And when I finally get into the job, I see that OT does so much good for people, to incorporate the biopsychosocial needs of people, and communion with full fledged OTs and the heart they give. And now as an OT student, where I'm learning the mechanisms of what OT really is, which I had a very small view of before. My inspiration is the wonder I see in this profession, and for the things that I can do for others. It's a beautiful vocation, and I love it.

Just wanna encourage you for wanting to take a job, because that's not the norm for the young, some even find it embarrassing (I know I did). I'd suggest you find a TA job in the community sector, not the acute (not stopping you if you want to though) because I feel the community is where the OT can truly manifest. All the best!

Hi, did you go for a course to become at TA or just applied for a position. If it was a course, which institute?

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi, did you go for a course to become at TA or just applied for a position. If it was a course, which institute?

Hi there. No, I did not take up any course. But I would not take myself as a yardstick for that, because I received some training as an EMT when I was a bit younger, so that could have been what helped me get a job.

There is a course that can help you secure a TA job however, most TAs go through this. It's the WSQ Higher Certificate in Healthcare Support (Therapy Support) by HMI. You can search that up, at the end of the course you'd be attached to a healthcare setting for a few weeks, and many times they accept the HMI students as TAs. All the best!

jasmine.sg

Reaction score
hi! I'm actually thinking of getting into OT.. and am wondering if i will even be successful in my application to 2019's wsg pcp's intake. can i check what job should i be looking for if i want to pursue a career in this? and r u sponsored by your company or paying for your current course yourself? and one more qn. i hv never done biology before, will that be a potential problem? thanks for the help!

sry i cant pm yet as i do not hv enough posts yet.

Otstudent

Reaction score
hi! I'm actually thinking of getting into OT.. and am wondering if i will even be successful in my application to 2019's wsg pcp's intake. can i check what job should i be looking for if i want to pursue a career in this? and r u sponsored by your company or paying for your current course yourself? and one more qn. i hv never done biology before, will that be a potential problem? thanks for the help!

sry i cant pm yet as i do not hv enough posts yet.

Hi there! For PCP you almost will get an interview, and that'll be the biggest hurdle for application. If you're wondering what job can help you get an interview, most jobs, as long as you have at least 2 years of working experience, can help you get an opportunity. If you're asking about a job that can help you ace the interviews, I think it's more the personality you show that determines the outcome. My top would be to at least know what OT is about, why you want to be an OT and why you should be an OT.

Yes I am under scholarship, my school fees are taken care of and I get a monthly allowance too, but if you do get the PCP, you'll also receive your own stipend, though I can't quote you the details. Many course mates too did not have biology backgrounds; a bio background is good to have, but a lack of would not cripple you if you're willing to go the extra mile to overcome the learning curve. There's lots to memorize and lots to understand, it would be good to get a headstart before the course if you can. (Hint: Focus on the muscular and skeletal system, you'll thank me later)

All the best!

jasmine.sg

Reaction score
Hi there! For PCP you almost will get an interview, and that'll be the biggest hurdle for application. If you're wondering what job can help you get an interview, most jobs, as long as you have at least 2 years of working experience, can help you get an opportunity. If you're asking about a job that can help you ace the interviews, I think it's more the personality you show that determines the outcome. My top would be to at least know what OT is about, why you want to be an OT and why you should be an OT.

Yes I am under scholarship, my school fees are taken care of and I get a monthly allowance too, but if you do get the PCP, you'll also receive your own stipend, though I can't quote you the details. Many course mates too did not have biology backgrounds; a bio background is good to have, but a lack of would not cripple you if you're willing to go the extra mile to overcome the learning curve. There's lots to memorize and lots to understand, it would be good to get a headstart before the course if you can. (Hint: Focus on the muscular and skeletal system, you'll thank me later)

All the best!

Thanks so much! hope to see ya next year at school!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.