Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

khunjuno

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post. I owe 5 loan sharks and now am stuck coz I can't keep up with the repayments. The biggest I owe is $3k from one of them. Since I'm stuck & unable to repay, they asked me to open up an account or work for them which I definitely not going to do. I'm afraid they will come to my house and my family doesn't know about it. Please advise if I should go report police quickly as now that I refuse to "work" for them or open a new bank account, they have started to scream profanities and threatens to burn my house etc. I screwed up and loan from them and now really regret it. Please share your advise on my next steps.

Since I just recently got into this mess myself, let me help you.

1) Make a police report about their harassment and threatening messages, prepare all the dates, ah long names, contact numbers, bank accounts used to transfer to and from and amounts transferred. BE TRUTHFUL to the police. Even though they can't help 24/7 guard your house, you need to report to be as truthful as possible. Your employer may request for a copy of this report.

2) The ah longs WILL call your NOK and office after they know you are running their loan, so INFORM your NOK and office before that happens. If you have no time or can't muster up the courage to talk face to face yet, send out a WhatsApp message and say you'll explain it to them in person after you've made the police report. DO NOT skip this step, they need to know or else they will chua sai and do stupid things like transferring money to your ah longs to help you clear your loan (and then the cycle will never stop because the ah longs will latch onto you harder)

3) BRACE for the bombardment of calls, WhatsApp that will be coming your way. Block the ah longs WhatsApp, block their calls and inform your NOK to do the same. Inform your office to ignore or screen all calls that are for you.

4) Put a copy of the police report outside your house and install a CCTV camera if it makes you feel safe.

5) If your neighbours come asking about it, be truthful and let them know the situation. You need them on your side to be vigilant and help you call the police if they see suspicious characters loitering at your corridor.

6) Hope for the best and do expect to be splashed / locked a few times before they give up.

25chic

Reaction score
Its best for u to make a police report and get a cctv or IP camera as a first step. Let the authority know all the mobile numbers.. Acct numbers. Also do forward them sceenshots of your conversation with your AL. Other than that, brace urself for whats next to come. Only the AL knows..
Any recommendations for a cheap n good cctv? Btw, how to make police report nowadays...go to npc?

25chic

Reaction score
Since I just recently got into this mess myself, let me help you.

1) Make a police report about their harassment and threatening messages, prepare all the dates, ah long names, contact numbers, bank accounts used to transfer to and from and amounts transferred. BE TRUTHFUL to the police. Even though they can't help 24/7 guard your house, you need to report to be as truthful as possible. Your employer may request for a copy of this report.

2) The ah longs WILL call your NOK and office after they know you are running their loan, so INFORM your NOK and office before that happens. If you have no time or can't muster up the courage to talk face to face yet, send out a WhatsApp message and say you'll explain it to them in person after you've made the police report. DO NOT skip this step, they need to know or else they will chua sai and do stupid things like transferring money to your ah longs to help you clear your loan (and then the cycle will never stop because the ah longs will latch onto you harder)

3) BRACE for the bombardment of calls, WhatsApp that will be coming your way. Block the ah longs WhatsApp, block their calls and inform your NOK to do the same. Inform your office to ignore or screen all calls that are for you.

4) Put a copy of the police report outside your house and install a CCTV camera if it makes you feel safe.

5) If your neighbours come asking about it, be truthful and let them know the situation. You need them on your side to be vigilant and help you call the police if they see suspicious characters loitering at your corridor.

6) Hope for the best and do expect to be splashed / locked a few times before they give up.
Thanks so much for the detailed steps. NOK i gave them a spare sim card number so that part i hope im ok just that i have to brace myself n inform my family. Ok this part Im gonna be open...how to make police report? I never made one before.

khunjuno

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed steps. NOK i gave them a spare sim card number so that part i hope im ok just that i have to brace myself n inform my family. Ok this part Im gonna be open...how to make police report? I never made one before.

Use google maps and search neighbourhood police centre. Just go to the nearest one. Tell the officer that you are here to make a police report regarding harassment of debtor. They will give you a queue number. Wait for queue number, then verbal diarrhoea everything to the officer when it is your turn. They will assign a case officer to you. Case officer may or may not rope in your help to set up ambush for the ah longs. If you lazy or don't want to trouble yourself, just decline that offer. Anyway they mostly catch debtors like us, except those debtors more bodoh to work for the ah long.

Last edited:

ppclip

Reaction score
Yes u can go to ur nearest npc and inform them the whole sitiuation. I got my cctv install from carousell at $115

i borrowed mine from police but have to wait few days. While waiting I will go Sim lim look see look.
Police said recently too many cases.

Last edited:

25chic

Reaction score
Use google maps and search neighbourhood police centre. Just go to the nearest one. Tell the officer that you are here to make a police report regarding harassment of debtor. They will give you a queue number. Wait for queue number, then verbal diarrhoea everything to the officer when it is your turn. They will assign a case officer to you. Case officer may or may not rope in your help to set up ambush for the ah longs. If you lazy or don't want to trouble yourself, just decline that offer. Anyway they mostly catch debtors like us, except those debtors more bodoh to work for the ah long.
Any idea what time do they strike usually?

khunjuno

Reaction score
Any idea what time do they strike usually?

They will avoid peak period when people are going to and coming back from work. That's 6-8am and 6-8pm I think. I'm guessing most of the physical harassment happens in the wee hours of the morning.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cfm not clone i was so angry with her. I asked her again today why did she go lend the money? she didn't reply. I asked her where are the other maids who borrowed? She said some sent back to agent. Then those without agent she doesn't want to reply. Fuming! After reading all the advices, we decided not to pay too. But I live in fear loh. Changed my mobile no already.

i was reading that you planned to pay the licensed money lender...
and some ppl here also give you the wrong advise to pay the licensed money lender...

rule number 1.
if you didn't borrow the money... or become a guarantor ... why the hell are you even thinking to paying the license money lender.
do not pay anyone $$$....
else every known and unknown $$$ lender will know that you will pay something if they harass you enough...

the same stunt happen to my maid last year also...

first is 2 years ago... she say her father tio cancer and ask for $$$ advance from my wife...
we ask her to produce all the medical report and it seems real...
so my wife was kind enough to advance her about 2k for her to sent the $$$ back to piony land...

she did managed to repay all the money over the next few months...

after we renew her contract, she starting to ask for advance from my wife again... giving many reasons... as she managed to repay them last time...
my wife was kind enough to advance her pay...

this time round its greater than 2k in total...
and still keep on asking saying that she need to repay her urgent friend and i was kumgong to even go down ATM and transfer 300 to her friend...
she also say she did not borrow from ah long or money lender...

and my condition of transfer the 300 is that she need to work on sunday as a form to repay us since she own us more than 2k...

so that very sunday she was out... the following monday, my wife start to receive whatsapp message and call from money lender during work saying my maid borrow money from them...

we grill her that night and she confess that she borrow from money lender and not also own many friend money... each about a few hundred...

we jitao know the seriousness... with 2 primary skool kids... we straight away decide to sent her back...

the very next morning.. apply leave...

1. bring her to amk police station to make report. mata grill her and she ack that she actually own a few money lender..
2. her phone was also with a construction worker when mata call the number she gave... construction worker say she own 2k that why he retain her phone...

end up she at least own like 5 to 6k in total...

3. go home and ask her to pack her stuffs... even her luggage can lend to friend.. end up we spend a few $$$ buy those ah tiong big plaster bag for her to stuff her belonging.
4. bring her to maid agency....
5. spend another $500 to buy the evening air ticket
6. and finally sent her back the very day...

all in all, we lost near to 3k in total with this maid... that about 6 months of maid work...

my advice to all the ppl here who employ maid...
NEVER advance them a single cents...
even if their father or mother is going to die the very next day without the $$$....

after maid left..

we also went to SLS to check out the CCTV... what to buy...
in the end, i told my wife to monitor the situation first and see any action taken by ah loong or money lender...

the next few days, a few calls came in, all got block by my wife ... dun even bother to answer....
we always accompany our kids...
check our hdb areas for suspicious ppl
everyday, we were expecting paint splash when we reach home...

end up nothing, no paint, no runners, didn't even buy the CCTV and no further calls... i guess the own money is too small for each parties...

the only thing receive is a letter insert into our house door saying maid borrow $$$ own $600.... call this number to settle...
we just ignore it..

and after a few weeks, a registered letter addressed to our maid, we also ignore it...

after this, we naturally did not employ any maid currently....

so my advice here is to monitor the situation first...
no need to kan chiong like change mobile number, install CCTV, etc...
i know the fear, especially if you have young kids...

ppclip

Reaction score
i was reading that you planned to pay the licensed money lender...
and some ppl here also give you the wrong advise to pay the licensed money lender...

rule number 1.
if you didn't borrow the money... or become a guarantor ... why the hell are you even thinking to paying the license money lender.
do not pay anyone $$$....
else every known and unknown $$$ lender will know that you will pay something if they harass you enough...

the same stunt happen to my maid last year also...

first is 2 years ago... she say her father tio cancer and ask for $$$ advance from my wife...
we ask her to produce all the medical report and it seems real...
so my wife was kind enough to advance her about 2k for her to sent the $$$ back to piony land...

she did managed to repay all the money over the next few months...

after we renew her contract, she starting to ask for advance from my wife again... giving many reasons... as she managed to repay them last time...
my wife was kind enough to advance her pay...

this time round its greater than 2k in total...
and still keep on asking saying that she need to repay her urgent friend and i was kumgong to even go down ATM and transfer 300 to her friend...
she also say she did not borrow from ah long or money lender...

and my condition of transfer the 300 is that she need to work on sunday as a form to repay us since she own us more than 2k...

so that very sunday she was out... the following monday, my wife start to receive whatsapp message and call from money lender during work saying my maid borrow money from them...

we grill her that night and she confess that she borrow from money lender and not also own many friend money... each about a few hundred...

we jitao know the seriousness... with 2 primary skool kids... we straight away decide to sent her back...

the very next morning.. apply leave...

1. bring her to amk police station to make report. mata grill her and she ack that she actually own a few money lender..
2. her phone was also with a construction worker when mata call the number she gave... construction worker say she own 2k that why he retain her phone...

end up she at least own like 5 to 6k in total...

3. go home and ask her to pack her stuffs... even her luggage can lend to friend.. end up we spend a few $$$ buy those ah tiong big plaster bag for her to stuff her belonging.
4. bring her to maid agency....
5. spend another $500 to buy the evening air ticket
6. and finally sent her back the very day...

all in all, we lost near to 3k in total with this maid... that about 6 months of maid work...

my advice to all the ppl here who employ maid...
NEVER advance them a single cents...
even if their father or mother is going to die the very next day without the $$$....

after maid left..

we also went to SLS to check out the CCTV... what to buy...
in the end, i told my wife to monitor the situation first and see any action taken by ah loong or money lender...

the next few days, a few calls came in, all got block by my wife ... dun even bother to answer....
we always accompany our kids...
check our hdb areas for suspicious ppl
everyday, we were expecting paint splash when we reach home...

end up nothing, no paint, no runners, didn't even buy the CCTV and no further calls... i guess the own money is too small for each parties...

the only thing receive is a letter insert into our house door saying maid borrow $$$ own $600.... call this number to settle...
we just ignore it..

and after a few weeks, a registered letter addressed to our maid, we also ignore it...

after this, we naturally did not employ any maid currently....

so my advice here is to monitor the situation first...
no need to kan chiong like change mobile number, install CCTV, etc...
i know the fear, especially if you have young kids...

wah ur one also same as mine... omg...no lah we decided not to pay. she didnt tell me she borrow money until i received the sms from LS then i know. She didnt admit too and said its her friend who borrow blah blah check her phone then realised its so many. Fuming. now i everyday also look out for suspicious people. i already changed my number lol. fast leg fast hand.

same like u everyday i open door first thing is see if tio paint. si bei sian fuming fuming

Last edited:

25chic

Reaction score
Actually my friend recently educated me that even old school ah long have a few types.

1) Daily loan (loan 1k, repay 1200 spread over 30 days, each day pay 40)

2) weekly loan (loan 1k, repay 1200 in 7 days, which is 1k loan + $200 interest)

3) instalment loan (loan 1k, repay 300 every week for 4 weeks)

4) "chop head" loan (loan 1k, cash back 800, repay 1k in 7 days)

Also, the standard old school ah long rate outside is $200 interest for every $1000 loan. So you can keep paying only the interest every week if legit cannot come up with the $1000 to clear the loan.

Got a few types lah, but old school ah longs don't ask you to make defer payment when you can clear, because either way they will get their "interest" when you clear. It's the WhatsApp ah longs that keep asking for defer payment because that's where they earn money from. All the so called clearance payment just goes to other borrows so they don't earn any from there.

I’m just wondering how much loan is considered big in their context? Also, I noticed the ones I deal can speak english well, not the typical ah bengs kind. When i first told them I’m jam with the repayments, they even offered a monthly loan provided I can clear at least near half of my loan. In the end, I got tricked again and again before I finally think its enough. Initially I thought ok I will take up the monthly loan so i can pay them monthly rather than every 3-7 days and they even offered table talks. Coz a loan is a loan and I want to repay at least the principal loan. But then, all of a sudden they asked me to open a new bank account or work with them and when I declined, they started all the threatenings. Now they are silent, so I’m afraid they might have something up their sleeves. Im gonna make police report later tonight. Very stressful and unfortunately I put myself in this and I have no one to share with until I saw this forum.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys what you mean by defer payment ? How will it caused the loan to snowball

Bamster78

Reaction score
I think they short of acct to let ppl loan or return?
Will the police inform bank to stop the account if its being reported?

I’m just wondering how much loan is considered big in their context? Also, I noticed the ones I deal can speak english well, not the typical ah bengs kind. When i first told them I’m jam with the repayments, they even offered a monthly loan provided I can clear at least near half of my loan. In the end, I got tricked again and again before I finally think its enough. Initially I thought ok I will take up the monthly loan so i can pay them monthly rather than every 3-7 days and they even offered table talks. Coz a loan is a loan and I want to repay at least the principal loan. But then, all of a sudden they asked me to open a new bank account or work with them and when I declined, they started all the threatenings. Now they are silent, so I’m afraid they might have something up their sleeves. Im gonna make police report later tonight. Very stressful and unfortunately I put myself in this and I have no one to share with until I saw this forum.

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
How much yr total loan...pay how long liao

25chic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and find this thread helpful, I got read some of your posts and gives me positive outlook beyond honest mistake. I also got a loan from this JOVAN. Yesterday is my supposed payment date. The other days never give me account number, only today and want me to pay 500 sgd from the initial 300 sgd loan.
He started to bother my NOK today but I told to just block the number.
Sounds redundant but is it really okay not to pay?
This Jovan (for those who know him), what is the worst thing he can do?

Hope someone will give advise. Thank you.
Hi! I borrowed from the same guy...what was the worst thing that can happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.