real world difference between fibre 500mbps vs 1gbps

quarkz

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to recontract soon and I wonder if I should choose starhub 500 mbps or 1gbps fibre, price diff $10 /mth. m1 also got 300 mbps.

Is there any real world difference?

btw, I usually use the internet to check email,web surf, http download from upload.net etc, occasional torrent thru vpn.

thanks for the advice.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
real world differences depends on your usage. checking email and surfing internet no differences.

download maybe but such file sharing is still largely depends on their server and the account u using (paid or free) affects the max limit speed.

torrrent, also depends on server, peers etc?

overall, its quite hard to give u a good est, as everybody have different usage as well.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
See what is your priority.

If you are the kiasu type who wants top speed, then go for 1G.

I prefer to go for the slowest speed by paying less subscription.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Its overkill for 1 gbps.
If you don't need the router that comes with the subscription, then go for 300/500mbps

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your router can transmit 1gb wireless and there are multiple users who are heavy streamers and downloaders, it can make a difference.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to recontract soon and I wonder if I should choose starhub 500 mbps or 1gbps fibre, price diff $10 /mth. m1 also got 300 mbps.

Is there any real world difference?

btw, I usually use the internet to check email,web surf, http download from upload.net etc, occasional torrent thru vpn.

thanks for the advice.

Take the 1Gbps based on your usage with torrent, vpn and always online.

Btw.. what is your current ISP and plan... and any problem.

quarkz

Reaction score
Take the 1Gbps based on your usage with torrent, vpn and always online.

Btw.. what is your current ISP and plan... and any problem.

Now starhub 1gb, no problem. Nowadays, too busy with kid, so not much time to be online and download like b4...

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get the 300mbps one.

I used to use the 60mbps connection from Viewquest. With a 802.11n wireless access point at that time, it made no difference to go any higher

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now starhub 1gb, no problem. Nowadays, too busy with kid, so not much time to be online and download like b4...

If there is no issue then continue to use or renew/recontract.

If you do plan to move house or relocation which there will be a charge, then continue as it is as there will not be any change in subscription after contract expired.
Once relocation just recontract/sign-up with free installation and no relocation charges.

Unless you want to renew/recontract to same 1Gbps where currently Starhub is giving free new Linksys router;
> [News] Starhub will be the world's first to offer Linksys' new EA8100 AC2600 router
Where you can keep the router as spare, give away or sell.
That's if current routers are still stable and fine.

As you are busy it is best to remain as it is... no change in plan as maybe renew/recontract on existing plan.
Any change in plan or ISP may have additional sets of problems as not sure it would be smooth or not.

quarkz

Reaction score
Check with the customer service, relocation charges are $60 and $120 for M1 and starhub respectively. there's a chance I might shift. but m1 got registration fee of $60.

Btw, there's a pc show in early Sep. Is there a chance the registration fee will be waived? Or got some freebies or promo during that time?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check with the customer service, relocation charges are $60 and $120 for M1 and starhub respectively. there's a chance I might shift. but m1 got registration fee of $60.

Btw, there's a pc show in early Sep. Is there a chance the registration fee will be waived? Or got some freebies or promo during that time?

Depends. Some does some dun. But iirc, I think no more of such.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get the 300mbps one.

I used to use the 60mbps connection from Viewquest. With a 802.11n wireless access point at that time, it made no difference to go any higher

It is because you are using wifi and wifi do have its limitation. If on cat. 5e cable and multi users, then there is a bit of different.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if 5 devices on wireless ac, will 500mbps works

It will work but it will be slower a bit like around 100Mbps because for wifi the limit is about 400 to 500 Mbps if all the devices are good. I am referring to the normal AC standard. For further new standard the speed will be faster a bit in the near future.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Would suggest to sign-up when you are moving to new flat.

Usually there would not have any waiver on relocation charges as this involved NetLink Trust & ISP.

Beside consideration on registration fee there is activation fee for new sign-up.
Either may be waived as this depend on promotion and ISP, but unlikely.

When my recontract was due and happened was ready to move to new flat soon.
What i did was recontract/sign-up to new flat as there are no additional charges, whatsoever.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if 5 devices on wireless ac, will 500mbps works

For 500mbps plan means that your gateway (ONT) for all devices at that point can have connection up to 500mbps.. shared among all devices.

If all the wireless clients are actively uploading & downloading at the same time each wireless clients may have different connection speed.
But in total it cannot be exceed 500mbps.

Each wireless clients, unless all same models, may not be able to achieve 500mbps or even 300mbps, unless with latest/high-end models.

To put it this way, non of these wireless clients may even achieved close to 100mbps as streaming may need about 25mbps max depend on resolution.
Even surfing do not reached that high connection speed.

alex22

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 500mbps plan means that your gateway (ONT) for all devices at that point can have connection up to 500mbps.. shared among all devices.

If all the wireless clients are actively uploading & downloading at the same time each wireless clients may have different connection speed.
But in total it cannot be exceed 500mbps.

Each wireless clients, unless all same models, may not be able to achieve 500mbps or even 300mbps, unless with latest/high-end models.

To put it this way, non of these wireless clients may even achieved close to 100mbps as streaming may need about 25mbps max depend on resolution.
Even surfing do not reached that high connection speed.

Agree much

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.