Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask if it's worth to upgrade from my current PC setup to ryzen

Xeon x5680
x58 motherboard
16gb ddr3 ram
500GB SSD
2TB HDD

If i upgrade to ryzen, probably looking at ryzen 1600 or 1700 since got as many cores as my xeon processor. And DDR4 very expensive now. Will i see any performance improvements?

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can list out the application you using. Then others will probably give you more advice?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If electricity and heat are no issue to you, and your usage have no concern regards multi threading, then not much diff.

But for a quieter, cooler system, with multitheaded usage and heavy multi tasking, you will see quite a lot of improvement actually :)

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

kuma-mon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can list out the application you using. Then others will probably give you more advice?

Application commonly use:

Chrome with many tabs open
Spotify
Programming related apps like android studio, intellij, putty, vmware
Photoshop for designing
MS Office
Steam (Rarely)
Crypto trading apps like binance

Nowadays i mostly do productive stuff on my computer coz busy working. Got play games but only when got lots of free time or when my favourite games come out. I need multiple cores coz of vmware. I am also planning to install hackintosh to use xCode

If electricity and heat are no issue to you, and your usage have no concern regards multi threading, then not much diff.

But for a quieter, cooler system, with multitheaded usage and heavy multi tasking, you will see quite a lot of improvement actually :)

Actually right now i think im okay with the performance of my PC, it can handle the heavy tasks I throw at it, not lag or whatsoever. I dont know man just itchy to upgrade i guess lol.

Last edited:

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Multithread stuff like VM is significantly better with ryzen 1700(x) or 2700(x)

Also, higher IPC things load faster.

Though I gotta say, your old xeon is very capable and served you very well given the mobo until now haven't give way haha

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Directly go TR and then 2 years later drop in upgrade TR3...maybe from 12 cores to 48 cores..

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask if it's worth to upgrade from my current PC setup to ryzen

Xeon x5680
x58 motherboard
16gb ddr3 ram
500GB SSD
2TB HDD

If i upgrade to ryzen, probably looking at ryzen 1600 or 1700 since got as many cores as my xeon processor. And DDR4 very expensive now. Will i see any performance improvements?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5690-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/m16752vs3917

Based on Benchmark,
you get 10% performance gains for Single Core and Quad Core.

Please go ahead if your backside itchy and you got monies to burn.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.