Safest investment in Singapore?

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
Just started my working life and earned a few K... thinking of making some investments. I prefer low risk investments now since I have no knowledge in investing. Also, where to learn more?

Pesantkie

Master Member
Reaction score
Just started my working life and earned a few K... thinking of making some investments. I prefer low risk investments now since I have no knowledge in investing. Also, where to learn more?

Singapore Savings Bond.
Fixed Deposit

sleepingcat

Master Member
Reaction score
I am planning on investing in dividends as i heard they give monthly payouts. Is that a safe investment?

V_for_Vanilla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning on investing in dividends as i heard they give monthly payouts. Is that a safe investment?

If you read up and learn more you will realise there is no such thing as monthly payouts. Investing is a long journey. There will be necessary costly lessons along the way. It is good to start young and as early as possible.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bbcwarcher that bugger will ask u to put in cpf :s13:

This is another safe investment if you do not mind to wait for long time (until age 55). Keep in mind the interest rate is high and compounded.

Did that from young, not only you earn good interest, you save on income tax payment too.

jetblack

Banned
Reaction score
Precisely it's the long time. What's the point of getting a large of sum of cash when u are already 62

This is another safe investment if you do not mind to wait for long time (until age 55). Keep in mind the interest rate is high and compounded.

Did that from young, not only you earn good interest, you save on income tax payment too.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you read up and learn more you will realise there is no such thing as monthly payouts. Investing is a long journey. There will be necessary costly lessons along the way. It is good to start young and as early as possible.

If you invest in 12 different shares that pay dividends in different months you could get monthly payouts. But the reality is that companies prefer to pay dividends in certain months while avoiding other months like close of financial year, December holidays etc.

For those months, you can buy SSB that pay interest in those months without dividends so that every month you get something..

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
1.) Park in SSB for now.
2.) Read Shiny Things thread.
3.) Avoid speaking with bank RMs/sales or insurance agents/FPs

Resist the urge to take dramatic action, and manage your fear and greed. Learning is a lifelong process, so you need to balance between learning and taking some action to start investing, otherwise you risk never taking action. Don’t be a keyboard warrior, and never let perfect be the enemy of good. For eg after you’ve read the Shiny Things thread a while, you’ll start to think about opening POSB-IS for STI ETF and/or Stanchart brokerage. Above all, always start small; as a newbie, we all make mistakes. Starting small in terms of investment amounts ensure no one mistake becomes fatal. Good luck!

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To answer your question directly, the safest Singapore dollar denominated investments in Singapore are as follows:

#1: Yes, CPF, in its traditional form (not in the CPF Investment Scheme). It’s the absolute safest because it’s guaranteed by the AAA-rated Singapore government, operated by the same government, well protected against the world’s court judgments and creditors, and tax advantaged. There is no greater Singapore dollar safety available.

#2: Singapore Savings Bonds, other Singapore Government Securities (SGSes), and Singapore dollar deposits in banks in Singapore as long as the deposits are below SDIC limits. The bank deposits can be current accounts, savings accounts, and/or fixed deposits.

#3: Agency bonds. Singapore doesn’t have many of these, and they tend to be high denomination and difficult to access. But, for example, Temasek’s general debt obligations are quite safe. Note: NOT the recent series of “Astrea” securities which are not Temasek guaranteed.

The safest investments are also generally the lowest yielding and thus largely inappropriate for young adults saving for retirement (except for emergency reserve fund purposes, and for saving for other purposes). CPF is a unique exception. It’s the #1 safest and also unusually high yielding.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.