Adult Circumcision [Singapore experience]

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
I am writing this for the benefit of people who are deliberating about going for this procedure as I realized there wasn't much information online as far as SG is concerned. This is my experience. I did mine at 19 during National Service.

Why: Tight foreskin. Urologist recommended the surgery.. claimed it has future benefits.. lowers cancer risk, infection etc etc. I had time to burn so I decided to do it.

Where: NGTF Hospital. Went to polyclinic first then refer to hospital. You can choose your hospital. Depending on your choice of hospital, the waiting time for your surgery. I visited Urologist in May but surgery day was in July. Dr said many people with same procedure in June since it was school holidays.

How: Laser circumcision. General + local anaesthesia. 1 injection to the hand for IV drip and another at private area (while asleep)

How much: After all deductions, damage was SGD $5/USD 3.67 for surgery arnd $20 for meds [ antibiotic + chlorohexidine wash]

I was given 2 week hospitalisation leave. [ Yes, people strategically do this during NS.]
Prior to surgery, have 2 go two appointments. Bloodtest by nurse. Visit another nurse for anaesthesia appointment.

OP day

What to bring: NRIC/Identity card. Bag for personal belongings. Recommend sarong or loose pants. Material for the clothing is important. Avoid rough fabric. Get those silky/smooth kind

Op can go alone.Need 1 person to fetch. There are meds to be collected. You won’t want to be walking to pharmacy post op. Trust me.
Surgery takes 10-15min.Discharge after 5hrs. The passing test for discharge is that you must be able to urinate ( with the nurse by your side lol ). The nurse will change your bandage if it is stained with blood. Unfortunately for me, there was a hot chinese nurse (.)(.) in charge of my ward. It was challenging to say the least.
Highly recommend personal transport or atleast grab/relative car. Any hasty movement oozes more blood from stiches.

Post OP:
For first 3 days, I laid naked on my bed/ sitting on comp desk. Night/morning erections are your toughest opponents.Then the stiches. Have someone cook 4 you/buy food/delivery. First week was tough.

My learnings/recommendations:
1. Tell the surgeon that you want it bandaged after ops. When I woke up, I was shocked.. the wound was w/o any bandage. It was a bloodbath when I walked to toilet
2. Tell the surgeon how you want it cut. If you're doing private,research the surgeon too. Some have bad reviews.
3. Invest in good underwear. Tight underwear to avoid poking by stiches.
4. Use Vaseline when apply gauze. Easier to remove.
5. Minimise water intake after 6pm to avoid night erections.
6. Sleep with pillow under legs to elevate area so that the lymph (I think its called) fluid can flow back, reduces swelling. Try to walk abit everyday to circulate blood
7. I took zinc tablets/multivitamins to aid repair. Fruits + vege+ 3L water etcetc
8. Always wipe off accumulated pee at the bottom/change bandage if need be.
9. For first 5 days, I left the area open for 2-3hrs after wash. I use that hair dryer to dry the area after wash.
10. Another tough part is refraining from sexual/physical activities atleast 4-6 weeks. Ask your GF/wife/nondominant hand to cooperate.
11. Underneath the head is the v impt part to clean. Rather go thru some pain then get infection.
12. Call the Dr to ask if you have complications/questions.
13. Full shave on Op area night before OP. Easier to clean after op.
13. Do not use any other liquids/oilment on area. Declicate and sensitive area.
13. If you need go out of house [a few days after op], to overcome sensitivity, I cover gland with gauze and coban tape.
13. Regrets? Should have done it sooner. Gf loves the new lollipop. :D

All in all, recovery shd not be hastened. Keep it off your mind. Complete recovery took 1-2 month 4 me [ back to running/ bed aerobics] What I have learnt is that the faster you let area heal, faster u return to normal. If u step out of your house and move about, you will prolong it. As my Dr said, shd to be bedbound/deskbound for atleast 1-2 week. Best to plan your op at a time of long vacation.

I hope I help people by writing this post. God bless.

Last edited:

seePyou

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Trying to pee after operation was the most painful experience i had in my life

xeelee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
had it done when i was a kid for a long time i thought every penis looked like mine

easyippt

Reaction score
For the young readers tight foreskin = phimosis (medical term). If the circumcision process sounds uncomfortable and you have tight foreskin, you can try to manually stretch your foreskin over the glans daily or something till it loosens. But take care that it doesn't get stuck past the glans or you'll end up with para phimosis. Going under the knife isn't easy and appreciate you sharing your experience!

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
For the young readers tight foreskin = phimosis (medical term). If the circumcision process sounds uncomfortable and you have tight foreskin, you can try to manually stretch your foreskin over the glans daily or something till it loosens. But take care that it doesn't get stuck past the glans or you'll end up with para phimosis. Going under the knife isn't easy and appreciate you sharing your experience!

Indeed. there are stretching kits you can get/ steroid cream. However, if you were like me, where the foreskin is attached to the gland, then no choice.

PS: Appreciate the 1000+ views and PMs

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
Received a couple of PMs revolving around the same questions. I will share here for benefit of all.

UPDATED

.........Just curious dude, how the surgery has impacted your life?
Frankly, when I was uncut, I was afraid to approach/interact with women due to this problem. I do have interest from girls but I shun away. After OP, better overall self esteem, confidence,more female friends etc.. I just came back from overseas uni exchange actually, managed to taste some local "chicken". If i was uncut, i def would not have the guts to...

............bro, did u feel like u take longer to ejaculate after ur circumcision? Like there is less sensitivity?
Personally yes. The sensitivity will decrease over time after OP. But I see it positively as I can last longer in bed. Overall, very happy I make the move to cut.

......... will u lose sensitivity as opposed to uncircumcised?
I spent 19yrs uncut. After cut, def lose some sensitivity for me Sex/oral 100% took longer to finish, easier to clean, easier to wear condom etc...

........ did they remove the frenulum
Mine was removed. There or not, doesnt make much diff to me. My penis can now 180 deg easier though lol...

.....thanks for sharing. I want to get my newborn cut soon
Some may claim circumcision for babies is barbaric cruel etc.. Let your sons make the decision to be circumcised when they're 18???

....how long before I can wear pants?
It took my until Day 19. U will need a tight underwear , that will help with the rubbing.

.......Dude can I see pic? I want to see the cut style
Sorry no.

........How long u wait before sex/masturbation?
My tolerance level was untill Day 23. Most stiches were out and healed abt 80%. I only did oral with GF..sex was on day 35. My biggest load ever in my life on Day 23.

.........Is the op painful?
Only pain for me was the injection to the hand. Dumb young nurse inject me 3 times for the IV drip, she seemed like a novice to me... Then a Dr came in, and in one attempt, settle everything. My hand was sore after that. When peeing for first time, expect some pain/blood...

........how long u take to heal bro
Really depends on u. I was meticulous in my cleaning and care and stayed at home for 1st 2 weeks. By week 3, I was back to my gym routine. Be aware that if an infection arises, you will need more healing time...

....... Are the stitches dissolvable or must manually take out?
Dissolvable. What helped for me was that on week 2, I went inside the jacuzzi. After that, only had 1 left.

- How's your scar line. Straight and neat or jagged? I'm worried about permanent disfiguring of my dick
For laser, it would be a neat cut. Expect some swelling post OP but will eventually subside.

- High, low, tight, loose. Did the doc say sg guys usually are circumcised what style? Do they remove the frenulum?
During my consultation appt, the DR showed me pic of the cut style. I was ok with it. The usual style is low with just head exposed. If u want sth else, raise it up.

Last edited:

freewilly5000

Reaction score
My Friend had to have this done: he said downtime was difficult but benefits outweighed. For him his skin was too tight to get erection without pain - so the procedure changed his life :s22:

AhJohn

Reaction score
How long does it takes before the glans woundnt be so sensitive to fabric

WorldpeaceX

Reaction score
if u go polyclinic how are u going to tell doctor? DR i want to cut my kuku skin. can refer me to hospital?

WorldpeaceX

Reaction score
Where are the alternative beside going to polyclinic then to hospital. Anyone know any gp around the east side doing this and don't cost a bomb ?

StuffToy

Reaction score
Anyone have any doctors from public hospital that you would recommend or avoid? Planning to get it done and need to find a doctor from public hospital.

TIA

Last edited:

StuffToy

Reaction score
Where are the alternative beside going to polyclinic then to hospital. Anyone know any gp around the east side doing this and don't cost a bomb ?

I believe you can go straight to hospital urology clinic but that would be private rate. More expensive. Not sure but I don’t think GP can perform on adults due to the requirement for GA

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
How long does it takes before the glans woundnt be so sensitive to fabric

Depends on your situation. Do u have phimosis? If yes , expect arnd 1-2months.

if u go polyclinic how are u going to tell doctor? DR i want to cut my kuku skin. can refer me to hospital?

I remember my visit vividly.....

" Doctor, I have tight forskin around my penis, I wondering whether to get surgery."
"Ok lie down here, let me take a look" [Better Pray u get male GP ]
" Ok, I will refer to a urologist in hospital. Which hospital u want? Blah blah blah. U sit outside, i will prepare a referral "

10min tops.

Anyone have any doctors from public hospital that you would recommend or avoid? Planning to get it done and need to find a doctor from public hospital. TIA
If you can find a Doctor, good.But the bloke that does consultion vs does the surgery can be different due to their hospital scheduling etc.For my case, I had another surgeon from NUH iirc

TIA[/QUOTE]

I believe you can go straight to hospital urology clinic but that would be private rate. More expensive. Not sure but I don’t think GP can perform on adults due to the requirement for GA

Yes there are private clinics. Around 1000+/- SGD I rmb when i did my research back then. Word of caution is to check reviews for surgeon
I knew friends who did at clinics in geylang/malaysia also.
But if u NSF, best is prolly thru polyclinic

Last edited:

AhJohn

Reaction score
I’m on day 10 of recovery, wearing boxers at home. However whenever the fabric touches the stitches it would be slightly uncomfortable and sometimes stinging

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m on day 10 of recovery, wearing boxers at home. However whenever the fabric touches the stitches it would be slightly uncomfortable and sometimes stinging

I experienced the same thing.Nothing you can do about sensitivity. Just have to give it time.

Hope my post helped.Speedy recovery dde

AhJohn

Reaction score
I experienced the same thing.Nothing you can do about sensitivity. Just have to give it time.

Hope my post helped.Speedy recovery dde

Thanks man, your post really helped me get ready before I got the surgery

WorldpeaceX

Reaction score

how much are the cost? its so frustrating when your skin keep tearing..

Rand19

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting haha but I'm considering getting circumcised for quite some time now and came across this thread. Is the polyclinic route the most common? Since private clinics tend to have mixed reviews also

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
how much are the cost? its so frustrating when your skin keep tearing..

I paid $5 for surgery and abt $50 for medicine??. Cant remember exactly. Its subsized under gov hospital.

Hi, first time posting haha but I'm considering getting circumcised for quite some time now and came across this thread. Is the polyclinic route the most common? Since private clinics tend to have mixed reviews also

Most common?Hmm.. not sure. When I was 19, I went polyclinic as its a go-to place to NSF boys for subsidized healthcare... in Singapore, that is. See the Dr. and ask for his opinion if u rqe this surgery.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.