learning japanese

iolanthe

Reaction score
May I ask whether you will use English or Chinese to study Japanese language?

Chinese is my weaker language, so I'd use English. Though I believe if your Chinese is good, it'll help you alot more in kanji. Are you learning Japanese using Chinese?

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chinese is my weaker language, so I'd use English. Though I believe if your Chinese is good, it'll help you alot more in kanji. Are you learning Japanese using Chinese?

Yes.

Initially I was using English to learn. but after intermittent level, I found that it was better to use Chinese to learn instead.

If you were learning through Chinese language, I can recommend a Taiwanese who's teaching Japanese.

He's quite good in Japanese grammar / vocabulary, and can explain quite well (in Chinese language). In fact, he will explain or teach on some areas of which other textbooks don't teach but students are expected to know.

As for the pronunciation, it will be handled by a Japanese.

Usually He will do live on Sundays at 9 pm to explain on Japanese grammar / vocabulary, but will stop for these 2 weeks.

BTW, he's in Taiwan, not in Singapore, but I have bought Japanese course from him. If good, I might continue learning from him.

Idme231

Reaction score
Yes.

Initially I was using English to learn. but after intermittent level, I found that it was better to use Chinese to learn instead.

If you were learning through Chinese language, I can recommend a Taiwanese who's teaching Japanese.

He's quite good in Japanese grammar / vocabulary, and can explain quite well (in Chinese language). In fact, he will explain or teach on some areas of which other textbooks don't teach but students are expected to know.

As for the pronunciation, it will be handled by a Japanese.

Usually He will do live on Sundays at 9 pm to explain on Japanese grammar / vocabulary, but will stop for these 2 weeks.

BTW, he's in Taiwan, not in Singapore, but I have bought Japanese course from him. If good, I might continue learning from him.

So i wasnt the only one that use chinese to learn japanese... LOL
I always use my textbook to do revision but i am not sure if i am really learning enough ..

Indeed Learning kanji is useful by using chinese due their familiar dialect. And i did watch youtube channels previously from them teaching grammar, which i am weak in understanding them for the usage. But i am not sure who is that.

Btw, off topic , do you peeps also realized japanese do speak chinese here?

Last edited:

piaget

Reaction score
Hi

Can advise which school to go for conversational Japanese course, not interested in taking any JLPT exam. As long as I can understand Japanese drama/anime I'm happy :)

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can advise which school to go for conversational Japanese course, not interested in taking any JLPT exam. As long as I can understand Japanese drama/anime I'm happy :)

You need to understand the language in order to converse. I would say at least get a strong foundation. Ikoma pre-advance levels has quite a bit of conversation. Bunka from pre-advance onwards are purely conversation.

HY_2304

Reaction score
Looking for recommendation

Hi,

Please recommend good Japanese language school in order to start learning Japanese language. I am the beginner and know nothing about the language yet. Is there any government funding for Singapore PR for the course?

For self study, what would be the recommended book and CD to start with?

Many thanks in adv for the advises.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please recommend good Japanese language school in order to start learning Japanese language. I am the beginner and know nothing about the language yet. Is there any government funding for Singapore PR for the course?

For self study, what would be the recommended book and CD to start with?

Many thanks in adv for the advises.

There are many good schools around. I would personally recommend JCS and IKOMA.

If you know Hiragana / Katakana script, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People for self study....

Good luck and God Speed....

AzureSunshine

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to ask if there are any schools with a flexible schedule as I work retail shifts and can't really commit to a fixed schedule. I really want to achieve like N1 for professional reasons so it would be good to have a school to learn from. Thanks in advance!

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to ask if there are any schools with a flexible schedule as I work retail shifts and can't really commit to a fixed schedule. I really want to achieve like N1 for professional reasons so it would be good to have a school to learn from. Thanks in advance!
You can try Ikoma.

Idme231

Reaction score
There are many good schools around. I would personally recommend JCS and IKOMA.

If you know Hiragana / Katakana script, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People for self study....

Good luck and God Speed....

How is the book like?
been deciding which book is suitable for me.

i will be taking the N4 in 4 months... grammar and listening is still abit of issue to me..
Is reading simple novels another way of learning kanji?

Last edited:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is the book like?
been deciding which book is suitable for me.

i will be taking the N4 in 4 months... grammar and listening is still abit of issue to me..
Is reading simple novels another way of learning kanji?

I used the books (1~3) for self study when I started learning Japanese.
For Kanji, the fastest way to learn is drilling.

For grammar, understanding the concepts and forms are needed.
For listening, practice is norm. Usually I train listening with Japanese drama.

For N4, other than understanding and putting effort, you may need more practice for N4. Are you currently in any prep class for N4?

Lastly, may I ask what is your score for N5?

Idme231

Reaction score
I used the books (1~3) for self study when I started learning Japanese.
For Kanji, the fastest way to learn is drilling.

For grammar, understanding the concepts and forms are needed.
For listening, practice is norm. Usually I train listening with Japanese drama.

For N4, other than understanding and putting effort, you may need more practice for N4. Are you currently in any prep class for N4?

Lastly, may I ask what is your score for N5?

Back then it was a fail score 2 years but i did not take any test then, just practicing the foundations and the rest so i decided to take the test.

Nope. Normally i self study and ask my friends questions. Prep class alittle expensive. I repeat the doing of questions, research the dictionary online when in doubt.

Last edited:

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Back then it was a fail score 2 years but i did not take any test then, just practicing the foundations and the rest so i decided to take the test.

Nope. Normally i self study and ask my friends questions. Prep class alittle expensive. I repeat the doing of questions, research the dictionary online when in doubt.

Self study is challenging as you may not have a proper learning route and structure. That being said, it is still not so bad at N4 as there are still materials that guide you. Pass that I will advise to take a class.

Anyway for JLPT prep class, I like the ones at Ikoma. Pace is fast and cover the essential grammar points, drills vocab, reading, and provide a lot of material for practice including listening. Many mock tests in between as well and the homeworks force you to really make an effort.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.