AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singboy

Reaction score
At load, I suspect the Intel based E480/580 may experience shorter battery life as it needs to supply the dedicated GPU with additional power.

erm... depends on what kind of load you are talking about. CPU load? Games? Videos Transcoding?

If doing heavy gaming or video transcoding, I doubt anybody will expect more than 2.5 hours on either the e485 amd or e480 intel with graphics, which makes the discussion on battery life irrelevant. An extra 20 mins of battery is not going to bring much value. The dedicated graphics don't kick in unless the IGP cannot handle.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this model really isn't selling well.. not even a single youtube review so far..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this model really isn't selling well.. not even a single youtube review so far..

This model E485 is not sold worldwide, only certain country have.
Which shockingly SG is among them to have it.
Most Thinkpad user will opt for Intel than AMD.

Review may come like from Notebookcheck website.
But I think maybe within the next 6 months or so.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

In 6 months, this model will be considered obsolete

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

Reaction score

aiya most consumers have been brainwashed that AMD CPU is inferior and heat up.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
erm... depends on what kind of load you are talking about. CPU load? Games? Videos Transcoding?

If doing heavy gaming or video transcoding, I doubt anybody will expect more than 2.5 hours on either the e485 amd or e480 intel with graphics, which makes the discussion on battery life irrelevant. An extra 20 mins of battery is not going to bring much value. The dedicated graphics don't kick in unless the IGP cannot handle.

For heavy gaming, I am pretty sure it won't last for more than an hour and a half unless it throttles both CPU and GPU. Some laptops do that when running on battery.

While dedicated graphics don't kick in at idle, the GPU still needs power to allow it to switch quickly. Also in this case, we are looking at an AMD GPU in the E480 with Intel processor. The last I heard, AMD drivers to allow iGPU and dGPU switching is not as refine as what we find with Nvidia.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at Lenovo website now still have promo code "amd18".

Now option for Ryzen 3 and 7!

Ryzen 3 minus $90
Ryzen 7 plus $80.

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UPS same as other couriers, delivery window whole day. Ever they delivered an item at 10pm before. Only one which can schedule specific window and date in my experience is DHL.

so far dhl and fedex or even shunfeng has been kind to me, can schedule like morning or afternoon slot.

UPS did not come on Friday night, called them on Sat morning, CSO say don't know why never deliver, say will ask warehouse delivery side to call me to explain. Then when i ask them to deliver on Sat, they say cannot, must call 1 day in advance to arrange, now can only arrange to delivery on Monday. wtf..lan lan just gotta accept.

best part warehouse delivery side call me and say they didn't receive any instructions at all to do evening delivery...the lady checked the system and tell me i scheduled for monday delivery already, I told her that is the earliest timing CSO can schedule, she said NO, can delivery on SAT afternoon if i want......

i just wanna say...their whole system is just fked up.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at Lenovo website now still have promo code "amd18".

Now option for Ryzen 3 and 7!

Ryzen 3 minus $90
Ryzen 7 plus $80.
But the base price increased by 100.

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok i got the laptop already, sorry i didn't do any in depth testing, was busy installing the necessary software and get it delivered to my aunt to use.

Heat issues - Its running cooler than my current 4 year old Asus Intel laptop for sure. The Fan is also quieter.

Battery life - didn't have the chance to fully test it. Charging was pretty fast, full charge was about 1 hr + on the 45W charger. There are different modes (4 modes i think) for you to choose while on Battery, I was on better performance mode(2nd best) and battery indicated it will last about 5hr +.

Oh ya, talking about the battery, it is built in, non removable.

Overall the laptop is smoother and faster than my 4 year old asus, watching 1080 p youtube videos is alright.

Overall, quite pleased with price paid and quality of it.

*oh ya love the numpad keyboard.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh
Didn't noticed that as I don't need a replacement yet.
Previously was 790. They shouldn't start at that price to begin with unless they are offering the 2700 as a standard configuration now.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the 2700u option a better one over the 2500u?

Personally, I feel the R7 2700U is likely not much better than the 2500U even with the higher end GPU and clockspeed. Problem boils down to the power limit set by the manufacturer. If they keep it strictly at 15W and 25W(boost), then I would expect the R7 to throttle more when it hits the limit.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i presume previously clearing old stocks thats y offload them cheap but cant do cpu config.

I don't think they are clearing old stock. Anyway, I suspect it could be (1) GSS and (2) to entire tertiary students buying new laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.