NIKON's new CoolPix P1000 has 125X Optical Zoom Lens

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With a ridiculous 83x zoom, people have used the super long lens on Nikon’s Coolpix P900 to snap pics of Saturn or pull off the kind of shots you normally only see in spy movies. But apparently that wasn’t good enough, so today, Nikon is announcing the new Coolpix P1000 featuring frankly ridiculous 125x zoom, which is now the longest lens of any superzoom camera on the market.

For anyone wondering what that translates to in old-school camera terms, the 16-MP P1000 is listed with a 25-3000 35mm equivalent lens, which can be expanded up to 250x when using the camera’s digital dynamic fine zoom. Now as you’d expect, with an aperture of f/2.8-8, this thing is mostly a daylight shooter when zoomed out to max. Though, when compared to the P900's f/2.8-6.5 aperture and significantly shorter range, the P1000 doesn’t give up much, if anything when it comes to image quality.

In person, the biggest difference between the P1000 and its predecessor is size. Weighing in at three pounds two ounces, the P1000 is more than a full pound heavier than the one pound 15 ounce P900, and measuring 5.8 x 4.7 x 7.2 inches versus 5.5 x 4.1 x 5.5 inches for the P900, it’s noticeably larger too. But the real eye-opener is when you use the P1000's power zoom to extend its lens all the way out, at which point that 125X zoom lens really shows its dominance.

Unfortunately, because I was checking out a preview unit, I didn’t have a chance to test the P1000's full zoom range for myself. However, I was able to play around with the camera’s snapback feature, which uses a dedicated button to quickly zoom the camera out so you can find and reframe your subject before jumping back to the magnification you were using before. It’s a feature that’s pretty much a necessity, since at its full 125X zoom, even the tiniest camera shake translates to big shifts in the viewfinder.

Additionally, on the barrel of the lens, there’s a dedicated focus ring that works with camera’s focus peaking feature to help make sure pics look as sharp as possible, even when that subject is miles away. And to make sure things stay shake free once you’ve got everything framed up and in focus, the P1000 sports what Nikon claims is five stops worth of dual-detect optical vibration reduction.

Other specs for the P1000 include 1/2.3-inch BSI sensor with an ISO range of 100-6400, a mic in jack, 4K UHD video recording and clean HDMI out for sending pics and clips to an external monitor. On the top of the camera, there’s also a new built-in hot shoe, a feature not available on the P900.

As for the future of Nikon’s superzoom Coolpix cameras, the P900 wion’t going away, but for those looking for the longest zoom you can get on a camera, the P1000 will be available for $1000 sometime in early September. And if you still think a 125X zoom isn’t good enough, it’s probably time to starting looking into telescopes.

https://gizmodo.com/nikons-new-coolpix-p1000-has-a-bananas-125x-zoom-lens-1827449391

Unclemun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sensor is really small but if it can take good daylight photos, it is a consideration.

I checked the YouTube video and the focus peaking mode makes taking sharp photos easy.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Small sensor is good to fill up the frame for distance objects like moon.
Almost equivalent to FF with 500mm.
Now can reach further to Saturn. :D

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel the zoom is cool, but will have very limited use.

whatmeworry

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am saving up to get this camera.
Voyeuristic dream come true.

t2BaOOt.jpg

Papermate

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you go and find one DSLR with big sensor that can shoot so far, so light and so cheap comparatively, ok?

:D

The most profitable camera sector was the compact camera that was sold at ALL IT Shows. When smartphones started to incorporate better and better cameras to beat the competition, the compact camera market went into STEEP decline.

There are still some second hand pieces at Cash Converters which even a lowly paid Bangala road digger or Indonesian maid would not buy, not to mention affluent Singaporeans.

The traditional camera makers like Nikon (and some others) tried to offer "zoom" to pull customers back.

It's really like fitting a tube with 100% pure oxygen into the nose of a dying man in the ICU.

People who do photography for a living or as a serious hobby still go for the real professional stuff and they do lug heavy cameras and lens and various cumbersome paraphenalia along.

Of course, they know the all-in-one Nikon x times zoom camera is so much more convenient...but do they use it? No.

I bought a Nikon with 60x zoom and other than for voyeurism like shooting people living in the opposite block, I really cannot think of any reason for having the zoom. I am not into wildlife photography where I need to keep my distance, and if I were, I would not use this level of cameras either.

But I did not buy it for that reason (voyeurism). I bought it because I could afford it, it was available, the advertisement said that everybody should buy one, and I regretted it eversince. My wife sold it away for RMB 600 - in China last year.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why I am interested in such cameras?

It is kind of vague now, but as I recall, I was unable to optimally put on record when someone at the opposite block threw lighted material out of the window and some floated down thru a window of the household below and something caught fire.

Oh yeah, also to be able to take a clear pic of the moon and perhaps saturn.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.