The Watch Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to me they're a waste of time. Why, because they're based on val 7750 movement. so basically you're buying the omega branding.

go for the speedy pro, why cause cal 1861. at least its omega in house movement.
not the same movement as cal 321 or 861 but at least it stays true to the omega moon conquest.
There’s a bunch of 40mm Speedmasters, yep mostly using 7750.. But I think Reduced is considered more tricky even though it’s got the closest look to Pro, cos it uses ETA 2892? with a chrono module slapped on.

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so what makes you go up to AP straight up if its your first watch purchase?

have you done your research?

because many watch owners/lovers/enthusiast don't just go up to AP straight up.

wanna know what makes you do so

Nv research much lei, was looking for a 5711 back then cos i didnt know how hard it was to get one.. then led to the AP lol.

Nevertheless the royal oak is a very good watch for fengshui. As are the Patek 57xx, 516x etc. Theres the whole story about how Gerald Genta was partially influenced by the octogonial taoist/buddhist symbols while in Asia. Highly unbelievable but a charming tale anyway.

Plus, stainless steel watches have proven to hold value pretty well for the most part of 5 decades.. I also bought a 7118 for my partner on the same trip, and the collective value of these two watches (the 7118 for the most part), has risen well over 20% in the span of less than a year.

Sure the bubble may pop someday but you know, let the good times roll.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nv research much lei, was looking for a 5711 back then cos i didnt know how hard it was to get one.. then led to the AP lol.

Nevertheless the royal oak is a very good watch for fengshui. As are the Patek 57xx, 516x etc. Theres the whole story about how Gerald Genta was partially influenced by the octogonial taoist/buddhist symbols while in Asia. Highly unbelievable but a charming tale anyway.

Plus, stainless steel watches have proven to hold value pretty well for the most part of 5 decades.. I also bought a 7118 for my partner on the same trip, and the collective value of these two watches (the 7118 for the most part), has risen well over 20% in the span of less than a year.

Sure the bubble may pop someday but you know, let the good times roll.

Wow. Didn't know much about watches or ever owned anything prior and you straight go to AP and PP. A little unbelievable.
Most watch nut will start from something on the lower end and build up to the holy trinity. You go straight in.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There’s a bunch of 40mm Speedmasters, yep mostly using 7750.. But I think Reduced is considered more tricky even though it’s got the closest look to Pro, cos it uses ETA 2892? with a chrono module slapped on.

I think so. I think if someone wanna own a speedy.
Go for the speedy pro. The price difference isn't that much to start with.
That's the only speedmaster you will ever need to own if you only need one.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2nd JLC event with sincere watches.
Talked to the managing director of JLC Asia. Great guy! No airs or whatsoever. Even asked for a photo with us at the booth. He even went the extend to teach my friend how to set his jlc master compressor geographic.
Asked me to send him a link for uncle seiko tropic rubber strap because it's on my deepsea alarm and he thinks it's nice. Said it's a great watch and hard to find one at a great price. Keeper liao. JLC MD say Satki.
He say he's a watch lover and not only buy jlc becsuse he's with jlc, he is interested in all watchmakers, keeping a open mind and can learn more from other brands.

Then I got this after the event. Got it at a good price and it was available. No 3 months wait.
FqBB2gu.jpg

Last edited:

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know much about watches or ever owned anything prior and you straight go to AP and PP. A little unbelievable.
Most watch nut will start from something on the lower end and build up to the holy trinity. You go straight in.

The top end ones hold better value.. Not just as a % but in terms of absolute value I think ive mentioned before, my personal take is to firstly consider value retention or even potential, followed by asethetics, legacy, accuracy etc etc.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bpoeKss.jpg

For some reason, I find the Speedy quite comfy. Could be the weight.

Waiting for a few straps to arrive to pair with this piece. :)

Last edited:

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2nd JLC event with sincere watches.
Talked to the managing director of JLC Asia. Great guy! No airs or whatsoever. Even asked for a photo with us at the booth. He even went the extend to teach my friend how to set his jlc master compressor geographic.
Asked me to send him a link for uncle seiko tropic rubber strap because it's on my deepsea alarm and he thinks it's nice. Said it's a great watch and hard to find one at a great price. Keeper liao. JLC MD say Satki.
He say he's a watch lover and not only buy jlc becsuse he's with jlc, he is interested in all watchmakers, keeping a open mind and can learn more from other brands.

Then I got this after the event. Got it at a good price and it was available. No 3 months wait.

Nice! JLC servicing costs scare me though. :s13:

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
I think so. I think if someone wanna own a speedy.
Go for the speedy pro. The price difference isn't that much to start with.
That's the only speedmaster you will ever need to own if you only need one.

My exact sentiments as well. My personal advice - Go Pro or go home. :)

reikizi

Reaction score
bpoeKss.jpg

For some reason, I find the Speedy quite comfy. Could be the weight.

Waiting for a few straps to arrive to pair with this piece. :)

new hoot ah ? .. kong hee kong hee .. this is nice .. the only reason stop me from buying is "no date" :s13:

reikizi

Reaction score
massdrop Tissot look good buy … the airman no.1 40mm is very tempting

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The top end ones hold better value.. Not just as a % but in terms of absolute value I think ive mentioned before, my personal take is to firstly consider value retention or even potential, followed by asethetics, legacy, accuracy etc etc.

Why never buy as your first watch if value retention is your first consideration when it comes to timepiece?

Rolex wins AP and PP in value retention.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
new hoot ah ? .. kong hee kong hee .. this is nice .. the only reason stop me from buying is "no date" :s13:
Thanks! I actually prefer no date as I rotate a fair bit. But sometimes I buy watch with date cos I feel that most people like date, if want to sell it might be easier.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK la. Normal 2 hand 1k.plus.
Quite standard.
Ya, proportion is standard, just that the watch is expensive so absolute sum involved is also high. :)

Maybe in the future. I quite like the looks of the Reverso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.