Copy of Windows 10 OS

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi my laptop has an faulty 256 GB SSD.

I have already paid $60 to do a diagnostic with the service centre and now they came back with a quotation of $328 to replace.

Should I get a new SSD from SIM LIM and change it myself? But for the new copy of windows 10 is there any way I can download using my serial number of my laptop etc? I need more detail help thanks

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup just buy a new ssd and fresh install a new one with your laptop own factory disk or just normal install with Windows Media creation tools.

And what do u meant by your laptop s/n? Like downloading a windows OS with the laptop OS serial number?

If this is so. U can try and see.(by right should work since u are changing just the ssd)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have already paid $60 to do a diagnostic with the service centre and now they came back with a quotation of $328 to replace.

Should I get a new SSD from SIM LIM and change it myself? But for the new copy of windows 10 is there any way I can download using my serial number of my laptop etc? I need more detail help thanks

DIY..
For 256 GB SSD you can get it under $200 or even better as able to get 500 GB SSD available in Sim Lim.

Windows 10 is using digital license from your laptop BIOS exist upon activated.

Do download this to your (any) computer > Download Windows 10
Once download run the file.

There are 2 options, use the 2nd option to save to either USB thumb/flash drive or ISO file.

For USB option you need to insert a USB thumb/flash drive at least 8GB size, which it will detect; note that it will delete any files/data inside.
It will save and make the USB drive as bootable Windows 10 Home installation setup, in 1 step process.
Whereas ISO file you need to save and later make/create image Windows 10 installation to DVD disc, a couple of steps.

Avoid the 1st option Upgrade which mean it direct upgrade on it and if you are running from another computer.

To fresh install insert the USB/DVD to run in the booting, F2 or F12 select USB/DVD in BIOS.
As for product key do skip as if the laptop had already installed & activated the Windows 10.

Run the Windows Updates after installation.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Truly appreciate your very detailed explanation. This is really what I needed. I will go buy a new SSD soon.

Am I stupid to let the service centre run a diagnostic and paid $60?

Currently I do not have a spare laptop to create a usb drive.

Sorry I don’t really understand this:

[ Avoid the 1st option Upgrade which mean it direct upgrade on it and if you are running from another computer.

To fresh install insert the USB/DVD to run in the booting, F2 or F12 select USB/DVD in BIOS.
As for product key do skip as if the laptop had already installed & activated the Windows 10.]

DIY..
For 256 GB SSD you can get it under $200 or even better as able to get 500 GB SSD available in Sim Lim.

Windows 10 is using digital license from your laptop BIOS exist upon activated.

Do download this to your (any) computer > Download Windows 10
Once download run the file.

There are 2 options, use the 2nd option to save to either USB thumb/flash drive or ISO file.

For USB option you need to insert a USB thumb/flash drive at least 8GB size, which it will detect; note that it will delete any files/data inside.
It will save and make the USB drive as bootable Windows 10 Home installation setup, in 1 step process.
Whereas ISO file you need to save and later make/create image Windows 10 installation to DVD disc, a couple of steps.

Avoid the 1st option Upgrade which mean it direct upgrade on it and if you are running from another computer.

As for product key do skip as if the laptop had already installed & activated the Windows 10.

Run the Windows Updates after installation.

Last edited:

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I sent it in before 27 July wanted to ask for second opinion and not trust them fully so asked here.

I am just curious besides my system that always hang when I boot into windows, my wireless network card has issue but through their diagnostic it was only my SSD that was faulty.

U15Js9J.jpg

After the fresh installation of the Windows OS i would also need to download all the relevant drivers for the network card, graphics card etc right?

Even without you sending to service center, already told you on 27 July its faulty hard disk. Just buy an ssd, download iso https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and use the key on your laptop

Last edited:

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Truly appreciate your very detailed explanation. This is really what I needed. I will go buy a new SSD soon.

Am I stupid to let the service centre run a diagnostic and paid $60?

Currently I do not have a spare laptop to create a usb drive.

Sorry I don’t really understand this:

[ Avoid the 1st option Upgrade which mean it direct upgrade on it and if you are running from another computer.

As for product key do skip as if the laptop had already installed & activated the Windows 10.]

Nvm about the $60 now that you know there are 2 main issues on your laptop.

Sorry to confuse you ...

You can use another computer running Windows either your family/friends/office, if any; to create the USB bootable Windows 10 setup.

The link provided earlier will download this file > MediaCreationTool1803.exe

Then when you run this file there are 2 options: What do you want to do?
(1) Upgrade to this PC now.. obviously not.
(2) Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another computer.
Hence it is better to choose the option on USB flash drive.. as 1 step process.
While DVD or ISO file may take a few steps to download the ISO file and make/create to DVD disc.
Once done.. the first step to have the Windows 10 setup is ready.

Next is the SSD.. now the prices are reasonable as for 500 GB SSD may able to get for under $200, depend on brand.. like Samsung EVO 850 with guarantee; if failure.. as i had done replacement 1 to 1 free after a couple of months.
Btw the current failed SSD which brand and any warranty or not as most come with at least 3 years.

Installation of SSD to the laptop should not be difficult or complicated as i am doing it very often nowadays.
You may search for YouTube video on how to do replacement of SSD/HDD of the laptop, may depend on brand but most are quite standard/common.

Once the SSD is installed and it is ready for Windows 10 setup.
Insert the USB flash drive to USB port of the laptop.
Upon the power on the laptop & booting.. immediately keep pressing the F12 function key of the keyboard.
This F12 will indicate to select the boot option.. select USB with the flash drive.
The Windows 10 installation process start and follow the instruction.
As for the Product Key you can either use the Key on the laptop sticker or Skip option as it would detect for previously installed Windows 10 digital license from the computer BIOS.

Since laptop do have RJ45 port do use ethernet cable to have direct wired to router lan port.
If you do this before the start of installation of Windows 10 it will go online to update all the necessary drivers of the laptop.
My 2 laptops upon installation of Windows 10 did detect and update the drivers including the network adapters (including wireless).
Also it would include windows updates and any others while online.

Not to worry to fail can repeat the process.. as take it as experience in handling this task yourself.

Alternately you can pay another $60 for the shop to do all these for you.
You can watch and "learn" from the technician as this process take less than an hour to complete.
Sometime i did this method to learn at the same time as if i encountered problems that unable to resolved myself.

Hope this help you.. learning process.

I do have make 2 USB bootable Windows 10 without any issue.
And do have standby USB wireless adapters & plenty SSD/HDD in case if need.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am a novice. Any YouTube videos or guide on replacing SSD? I search but they are like 2-3 years back

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Eric3743 no worries you have been a excellent and great help in this. Really appreciate your sharing and expertise for novice like me

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just went sim Lim. Saw that they have e Samsung evo 860 and 860 Pro.

The pro version comes in 512gb while e normal evo is 500gb

Do we need the pro or the normal version is good enough?beside higher read write speed is there any more significant benefits of the pro vs the normal?

Why does the SSD Comes in 500gb or 250gb? I thought the convection way is 128, 256 and 512?

Thanks

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Did you create a recovery USB flash drive for recovery when laptop is new?
You should use SSD from Sim Lim or buy from internet. I bough 480G at $180 only.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know I’m stupid I did not create one. Now I am having problems finding another laptop to run as admin and create a usb flash drive for recovery.

Did you create a recovery USB flash drive for recovery when laptop is new?
You should use SSD from Sim Lim or buy from internet. I bough 480G at $180 only.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus ux303

Youtube video > How to install SSD in Asus ZenBook UX303 | Hard Drive replacement

Seem a number of screws to handle.. and notice it dis-connect the battery wires before proceeding.

Remember on how you remove and when re-fix it will be in reverse order.

Other related > This video shows how you can replace your HDD with another one or SSD in Asus UX310 Series
Google for more..

Don't worry as you may be better this.. in 2 parts;
> Asus Zenbook ux303u-SSD Samsung Evo Upgrade, Part1
> Samsung SSD Upgrade - Asus Zenbook ux303u, Part2

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just went sim Lim. Saw that they have e Samsung evo 860 and 860 Pro.

The pro version comes in 512gb while e normal evo is 500gb

Do we need the pro or the normal version is good enough?beside higher read write speed is there any more significant benefits of the pro vs the normal?

Why does the SSD Comes in 500gb or 250gb? I thought the convection way is 128, 256 and 512?

Thanks

Use the normal version as i am using 500GB Samsung EVO 750 for 1+ year.

Different brand do have different varies size as like SanDisk 480GB.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.