Degree vs work - need advice

Peanut.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m asking on behalf of my friend who asked me this question last night and I didn’t know how to advice him.

So my friend graduated from SP with a GPA of 3.8/3.9(Triple E). His initial plan was to get a degree from NUS and he was hoping to achieve similar grades. For him, getting a degree is more of a self accomplishment as he plans to earn his income through forex.

Yesterday his qualifying english test results came out and he didn’t pass. He is using this as a benchmark to see how well he will do in uni and based on the results, he thinks that he won’t do well in uni and now wants to dropout completely and start working.

So my question is, would you advise him to study or work?

TL;DR - Friend failed NUS qet. Using it as benchmark to see how well he’ll do in sch. Now deciding between pursue degree or work.

j.wxr768

Reaction score
Hi bro.. same logic with you but i have bad gpa.. seeking advise here too. Coping with the uni is the one of the major difficulties here

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Failed QET as in which band? If band 2 still OK lah. Unless it's the worst band.??

Fearah

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m asking on behalf of my friend who asked me this question last night and I didn’t know how to advice him.

So my friend graduated from SP with a GPA of 3.8/3.9(Triple E). His initial plan was to get a degree from NUS and he was hoping to achieve similar grades. For him, getting a degree is more of a self accomplishment as he plans to earn his income through forex.

Yesterday his qualifying english test results came out and he didn’t pass. He is using this as a benchmark to see how well he will do in uni and based on the results, he thinks that he won’t do well in uni and now wants to dropout completely and start working.

TL;DR - Friend failed NUS qet. Using it as benchmark to see how well he’ll do in sch. Now deciding between pursue degree or work.

Lol its no big deal. QET result is the worst benchmarks for your core modules. Note that your friend has an upper advantage based on knowledge. But his lack of determination could be a huge obstacle for him to excel in the long run

darksiedluv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I*********m asking on behalf of my friend who asked me this question last night and I didn*********t know how to advice him.

Yesterday his qualifying english test results came out and he didn*********t pass. He is using this as a benchmark to see how well he will do in uni and based on the results, he thinks that he won*********t do well in uni and now wants to dropout completely and start working.

TL;DR - Friend failed NUS qet. Using it as benchmark to see how well he*********ll do in sch. Now deciding between pursue degree or work.
don't pwn your friend leh

You know how many Prof in Local Uni cannot even speak proper English anot? And you are advising him to dropout because he failed his QET ? Besides , Triple E place more emphasised on skill and you should know such courses have the most China scholar. Why should he be even afraid of his English skill in this case?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also had friend who wanna do forex, quit full time job to work on it but didn't work out for him. My buddy work and did part time degree with local ivy and was able to return after doing Forex for like 2-3yrs. He was a smart guy too, COM holder.

I have to say not everyone can make forex work and see that 5 digit income and retire early. Go get a paper qualification, it can become useful should forex not work out. Ask him if forex didn;t work out what he plans to do? what is his backup plan? go back to uni after 2-5yrs?

Beepok

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fail English test in nus just take es1101/1102/1103 as a Unrestricted elective module. No difference to everyone else. Everyone need to clear the same number of UE. Just your friend need to take one or two compulsory as a ue

Ocw655

Master Member
Reaction score
Just go and study la...

Nobody is using qet as benchmark..

got 1 JC friend need to take english module during my uni days... Now he study PHD at NUS..

I also take english module during my uni days and manage to graduate...

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

Peanut.

Reaction score
I also had friend who wanna do forex, quit full time job to work on it but didn't work out for him. My buddy work and did part time degree with local ivy and was able to return after doing Forex for like 2-3yrs. He was a smart guy too, COM holder.

I have to say not everyone can make forex work and see that 5 digit income and retire early. Go get a paper qualification, it can become useful should forex not work out. Ask him if forex didn;t work out what he plans to do? what is his backup plan? go back to uni after 2-5yrs?

Thanks for the reply. I have shown him this.

zeebrugge

Reaction score
Intentionally OT but with a tinge of truth here, why not skip forex and NUS, do a career as a religious guru and market legal tender as a universal good instead. Chances of failing gpa is much higher than chances of Singapore printing legal tender without a reserved Malay President on the dollar note. Chances of making losses at forex is much higher than chances of Singapore dollar note devaluing.

msyang

Reaction score
What major is he keen? By knowing the major, he can make a better choice. And sure, he can work for sometime and then go bk to studies. Nothing wrong with it!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.