Copy of Windows 10 OS

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider crucial ssd if u know how to buy on lazada. As there is promo for this drive.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks thanks. Appreciate once again.

Youtube video > How to install SSD in Asus ZenBook UX303 | Hard Drive replacement

Seem a number of screws to handle.. and notice it dis-connect the battery wires before proceeding.

Remember on how you remove and when re-fix it will be in reverse order.

Other related > This video shows how you can replace your HDD with another one or SSD in Asus UX310 Series
Google for more..

Don't worry as you may be better this.. in 2 parts;
> Asus Zenbook ux303u-SSD Samsung Evo Upgrade, Part1
> Samsung SSD Upgrade - Asus Zenbook ux303u, Part2

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update: just finished replacing the SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows.

When I open up to unscrew and replace it was extremely tough. There were 2 screws on each side of the metal plate at the side when I screw it back the screws was slanted and not fit in nicely.

The battery was at the side of the SSD making it very hard to reach the screws at the SSD, I had to hold the battery up and put my screwdriver in to try and unscrew. E SSD given by Asus was covered in silver wrapping. I had to plug out the SSD and remove it instead of like the video where you just have to move a bit to take it out

After installing windows it did not ask me for my laptop serial number to activate the OS.

UFprwhT.jpg

Not sure what the sticky strip was for on the old SSD thus I did not remove and put on my new SSD.

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
If by sticky strip you mean the top horizontal 'bar' on the image you attached, it's an EMI gasket. Used to connect two conductive metals together to reduce e/m emissions from the laptop. Shouldn't make much difference if you left it out.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes yes I meant that and I left it out. If the screws are slanted by abit when I screw it to my new SSD would it be an issue?

If by sticky strip you mean the top horizontal 'bar' on the image you attached, it's an EMI gasket. Used to connect two conductive metals together to reduce e/m emissions from the laptop. Shouldn't make much difference if you left it out.

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't left out the cushion strip, it act as a cushion to prevent direct hard impact when the laptop taking a knock. It also act as a vibration adsorb when using the HDD.

Everything comes with a cost, if it's not necessary, do you think Asus will bother to put it there in the first place?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes yes I meant that and I left it out. If the screws are slanted by abit when I screw it to my new SSD would it be an issue?

Congratulation on successful replacement of SSD and Windows 10 activation!

If the SSD is unable to move about it should be safe enough.

As for that piece of sticky strip it is best to put it as it is since it could be design for a specific purpose.

My laptops do not have such strip as the SSD location is independently covered & secured, unlike yours.

rvyne7

Reaction score
I been re-installing countless of times of my macbook bootcamp once installed the key already tied up with your laptop..

so when you install it you dont need to key in serial number just skip that process and connect to an internet so long as no major changes on hardware it should get activated (If im right)

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Hi my laptop has an faulty 256 GB SSD.

I have already paid $60 to do a diagnostic with the service centre and now they came back with a quotation of $328 to replace.

Should I get a new SSD from SIM LIM and change it myself? But for the new copy of windows 10 is there any way I can download using my serial number of my laptop etc? I need more detail help thanks

you can buy a copy of recovery CD from the sevice ctr

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can buy a copy of recovery CD from the sevice ctr

The last time i buy a copy of recovery CD from Toshiba as quote:

(1) Make CD copy by staff cost $100.00 per model set.

(2) Provide you the recovery CD and you DIY at the service center.
Cost $35 with blank CD(s) provided.
Require own laptop to do the copying.. to be done in the service area.. at your own sweet time.
Need to provide the actual local model laptop for the correct recovery disc and will keep your NRIC while having their recovery disc.

I selected option 2 which take me 2 days for 2 Toshiba laptops different model.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I remove and paste the strip back onto my new SSD?

Congratulation on successful replacement of SSD and Windows 10 activation!

If the SSD is unable to move about it should be safe enough.

As for that piece of sticky strip it is best to put it as it is since it could be design for a specific purpose.

My laptops do not have such strip as the SSD location is independently covered & secured, unlike yours.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks ...

I been re-installing countless of times of my macbook bootcamp once installed the key already tied up with your laptop..

so when you install it you dont need to key in serial number just skip that process and connect to an internet so long as no major changes on hardware it should get activated (If im right)

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to remove the EMI Gasket and paste on the new SSD? As well as the Magnetic strip? The new SSD looks ok without those.

Between what is EMI Gasket?

Anyway I have not discard my old SSD and the magnetic strip cushion and that silver covering is still available should I take it off and transfer to my new Samsung SSD? The new Samsung SSD already has new body.

QFT.

The EMI gasket is something you shouldn't leave out either... can always get some cheap cheap one from china :D

Last edited:

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter whether using SSD or HDD, put the cushion strip back to the default location.

Although the SSD does not vibrate, the strip is there to take out the space and cushion the drive in the event of hard knock. Without the cushion, the strain will concentrate at the screw holes and probably crack the plastic stub holding the brass nut.

That strip is not function as EMI shield.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok ok. The horizontal cushion strip was pasted on the old SSD I did not remove it at all when I took out the SSD, u meant to take it out from the old SSD AND paste it on my new SSD?

The silver wrapper do I need to remove it and paste on the New SSD as well? It’s quite sticky for both strip n wrapper.

vFdmDGM.jpg

Doesn't matter whether using SSD or HDD, put the cushion strip back to the default location.

Although the SSD does not vibrate, the strip is there to take out the space and cushion the drive in the event of hard knock. Without the cushion, the strain will concentrate at the screw holes and probably crack the plastic stub holding the brass nut.

That strip is not function as EMI shield.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am stupid. What is EMI Gasket? The horizontal cushion strip?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I remove and paste the strip back onto my new SSD?

Yes do paste the strip back to the new SSD.

And do the same for the silver wrapping to simply paste/sticky on the new SSD too.

Your laptop cover is one big one as no individual covers for each components.
Hence items like strip & silver wrapping are means to protect.
If you notice in one of the video the SSD is in protected case where yours do not have which in place it use the silver wrapping thing.

That's why what you remove and then need to put back accordingly.
This is basic understanding.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noted not that i don't understand I'm just a very novice and my first. i am alsl afraid it won't stick properly to the new SSD when removing from the old SSD and it is very sticky.

v tough piece.

i read online that the Samsung SSD has shock protection is that true? thanks for your advice once again.

Yes do paste the strip back to the new SSD.

And do the same for the silver wrapping to simply paste/sticky on the new SSD too.

Your laptop cover is one big one as no individual covers for each components.
Hence items like strip & silver wrapping are means to protect.
If you notice in one of the video the SSD is in protected case where yours do not have which in place it use the silver wrapping thing.

That's why what you remove and then need to put back accordingly.
This is basic understanding.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m taking the used condom and fit it over another dickhead. Jokes aside thanks for the advice. I’m just thinking if I am able to remove e tough wrapper and cushion and stick it on the new SSD.

I will try and do it slowly.

just return everything to the same position for best protection.

srsly, it's like learning to fit a condom over your dic*head

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.