Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Will This Be A Game Changer For Samsung?

kiryu86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but i recall there was an interview with a Samsung representative many months ago and he said Samsung is pricing their phones based on how Apple is pricing their phone, ie, it gets more and more expensive with each new generation of phone. The price of the phone will never go down. It will just go up and up.

no wonder so many are going for xiaomi now, they came out with so many phone, and duplicate alot of spec and design from other phone, and make it cheaper. and nv had much saga abt their product either.

it is seriously atrocious and ridiculous to charge a consumer >$1000 for a general common purpose pocket device.

tanjimmy

Reaction score
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but i recall there was an interview with a Samsung representative many months ago and he said Samsung is pricing their phones based on how Apple is pricing their phone, ie, it gets more and more expensive with each new generation of phone. The price of the phone will never go down. It will just go up and up.
I believe Samsung Rep will not mentioned the price, cos they will not know, and even they want to follow iphone, they will not admit openly.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
last time smartphones above $1200

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

daewood

Reaction score
no wonder so many are going for xiaomi now, they came out with so many phone, and duplicate alot of spec and design from other phone, and make it cheaper. and nv had much saga abt their product either.

it is seriously atrocious and ridiculous to charge a consumer >$1000 for a general common purpose pocket device.

But so far no competitor have the S-PEN......if got i will switch liao

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score

That is true, but there is one thing for sure that changes when you go to those cheaper devices like Asus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei and Vivo. Their software is crap... Utter crap.

If you are an Android Dev, you will learn to hate Chinese OEMs and their software. They have modded Android so bad that the basic theming within Android is broken. A stock android color white theme can be the made into color blue. Way too aggressive power saving, making the app unable to listen for notifications or just purely killing the app for no reason. The performance is BLOODY inconsistent.

It might seem all nice and cool, but as a person who has used and had a lot of friends holding all sorts of devices. These Chinese phones always start failing faster than Samsung's, LG's and Moto's.

Software bogs down faster, you will see and feel the lag and if you think you want updates. You also have to way just as long or even longer than Samsung.

The only Chinese company that does it right, Oneplus.
The rest are still decent. LG just need to modernize their UI. Sony needs to ACTUALLY work on their software more. It is a bug fest and their camera is usually half-assed as well
HTC is alright but rare now. Dying company.

You have to actually step to the other side to actually start to appreciate. Samsung has done quite well with its devices. Sure the update cycle needs to be shorted but asides from that. The SW and HW works.

Last edited:

benny888

Reaction score
But so far no competitor have the S-PEN......if got i will switch liao

Right - Spen is main reason why the note is always my main working phone. Other androids I hardly kept beyond 6 months and bad habit of changing then every 4 to 6 months

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is true, but there is one thing for sure that changes when you go to those cheaper devices like Asus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei and Vivo. Their software is crap... Utter crap.

If you are an Android Dev, you will learn to hate Chinese OEMs and their software. They have modded Android so bad that the basic theming within Android is broken. A stock android color white theme can be the made into color blue. Way too aggressive power saving, making the app unable to listen for notifications or just purely killing the app for no reason. The performance is BLOODY inconsistent.

It might seem all nice and cool, but as a person who has used and had a lot of friends holding all sorts of devices. These Chinese phones always start failing faster than Samsung's, LG's and Moto's.

Software bogs down faster, you will see and feel the lag and if you think you want updates. You also have to way just as long or even longer than Samsung.

The only Chinese company that does it right, Oneplus.
The rest are still decent. LG just need to modernize their UI. Sony needs to ACTUALLY work on their software more. It is a bug fest and their camera is usually half-assed as well
HTC is alright but rare now. Dying company.

You have to actually step to the other side to actually start to appreciate. Samsung has done quite well with its devices. Sure the update cycle needs to be shorted but asides from that. The SW and HW works.

Is the Huawei one so bad??? I thinking of getting a P20 Pro to try since the price has dropped a lot.... TouchWiz has been good with my Note 8 so far. No frustrations or whatsoever.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is always custom launchers mah. I used the p20pro with nova launcher and the experience was very good. Similarly I load the same on my Sammy phones andi disable Bixby completely. In the days of custom launchers I think the main differentiators are the hardware

Is the Huawei one so bad??? I thinking of getting a P20 Pro to try since the price has dropped a lot.... TouchWiz has been good with my Note 8 so far. No frustrations or whatsoever.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score

Never really liked or enjoy them. You can give it a try for yourself. Just the experience using it is bad. It will kill apps in the background without good reason to save your battery life so you are likely to miss or not get notifications. VLC has blacklisted all Hua wei devices cause al their bug reports so far has been about their app failing to keep their background play on.

The SOC is not as great as it sounds. It can barely handle 4K or anything around 60 FPS. The recent update to bring slow mo recording to keep up with other flagship is fake slow mo
The p20 pro is incapable of 960 fps video recording. It is just an frame interpolation technique. It may be recording only in 240 fps or 480 fps. So their recent and current ad about being able to record 960 fps is a big lie.

If you plan on taking videos. I hope you have steady hands. No OIS and No EIS for 1080p@60fps cause the SOC can barely handle the amount of data.

Custom launchers can only go so far to help improve looks. But it is mostly the u deleting software that is bad.

Stick with Samsung devices for familiarity and best all rounder features and experience. That is what Samsung devices are really good for.

Last edited:

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but dxo mark for p20 pro higher than s9+

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
don't understand

it's not upon 100

The problem with DXO is.

They adjust their weight age according to new things like zoom and Bokeh which is why P20 got so high even tho the camera is just average. Something older phones no not have as Primary features. Zoom made P20 Pro score so well.

manufacturers have figured out how to score well in DxOMark. Looking at other tests, it's not too difficult to figure out which aspects are the focus of the company's attention, like zoom and bokeh as I mentioned, as well as contrast and sharpness.

Important factors such as wide lenses, black and white photos and RAW format are not considered in the running, although they are important for the photographic quality. Because these important aspects don't carry that much weight in the scoring, good cameras are unable to score highly, and manufacturers are paying attention only to the factors that are rated, and could even be using software that DxO sells itself to analyze cameras.

DxOMark is not an NGO: it's not just a camera analysis company. The main activity of the company is consulting for companies that work with cameras, so the tests and ranking are nothing more than an advertisement for their own primary service, which is to advise hardware companies to improve their cameras. Do companies that receive advice from DxO get better places in the ranking?

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you should be a writer for hwz

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.