Back from South island New Zealand

Reaction score
Oops the places (Te Anau, Milford Sound and Bluff) you mentioned I expect to reach in first week of Jun.

So did you put on the snow chain on the tyre?
It was light snow so I didn't need the snow chains. Just have to be careful of black ice.

Here are some pics
z0OPNo9l.jpg

YKpyqWNl.jpg

ffoGl3al.jpg

axelim.sg

Reaction score
Looks okay if your travelling pace is very slow and relaxed (e.g. you typically start the day late, you spend 2 hours chilling at a restaurant for lunch, etc). Otherwise, I think your itinerary is do-able in 7 or 8 days. Can consider this website for ideas on where to go.

I did the 5 hours drive to Wellington as well. On hindsight, I'll still go to Wellington. Hope this helps.

Edit: forgot to mention that you can consider the trilogy attractions package (experiencethetrilogy.com). It looks like you are going to all 3 attractions anyways. Buying the trilogy should save you some money.

Hi yxerin, thanks for your input!
Yes, prefer slower pace as we're traveling with our 3 years old. I also try to plan at least 2N overfor one place to minimize packing/unpacking our luggage's everyday.

Thanks for the tips on trilogy package!!

Sorry have to remove the link if not I cant reply!!

axelim.sg

Reaction score
@axelim.sg,

what is your purpose of going to NZ? At the rate you are driving, you will be tired, died tired.

Auckland trip - Auckland is not the right place for dolphins and whale watching. Don't waste your money.

If you want to see Hobbiton and Waitomo, I recommend stay one night in Hamilton to see both. Waitomo is nice, but it is a long drive from Rotorua.

Taupo to Tongariro and back to Taupo, you will be tired. I suggest on Day 8, either stay in Ohakune or Taihape. There is no way, you can take 5 hours to drive from Taupo via Palmerston North to Wellington. Going to Palmerston North is a big detour.

Then your drive to Wellington will be shorter. On the way to Wellington, just about 30 minutes from Samson, there is a Honey factory you can visit.

When you are in Wellington, forgot about the Picton crossing. That is a 7 hour journey to and fro. Unless you want to stay overnight in Picton. Then it is ok.

You can depart from Wellington using SQ. They stop over in Melbourne. That train from Auckland to Wellington could be interesting. But, with your 3 year old, I will not recommend the trip.

If you like wines and visit vineyard, then drive from Taupo to Napier/hasting and spend time there. Forget about Wellington.

Hi angy, thanks for your input. I thought what I plan is already a relax trip, I must be wrong.

Good qns on the purpose to visit NZ. I suppose it's my dream ever since LOTR. It's not possible until recently due to budget and time requirement.

Before posting here, I struggle between North, South or both. I eventually give up South because of my 3 years old.

I'll replan my itinerary before posting here for review again.

gumbokins

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
probably been asked before, but what's a good insurance plan for NZ? Driving + campervan, 15 days, not planning to do any extreme sports stuff.

liemsc

Reaction score
probably been asked before, but what's a good insurance plan for NZ? Driving + campervan, 15 days, not planning to do any extreme sports stuff.

This might be of some interest for you.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k11820917-Camper_Insurance_confusion-South_Island.html

foodieeee

Reaction score
overall i think ur itinerary is too packed. need to account for the time needed to drive from place to place, and for breaks in between long drives. and also take note of wat time it gets dark. will be safer to stick to driving in the daytime.

for example, day 7 u are driving from queenstown to milford sound. that is already a 4hrs drive, excluding breaks and sightseeing. milford sound cruise is 2-3 hours, and u still need to travel from milford sound back to te anau which is about 2 hours. quite difficult to squeeze all this into a day, and u wun have time to stop for sightseeing along the way.

if u dun have plans for anything in te anau, i suggest taking a day package for milford sounds from queenstown. that will save u quite a bit of time, and u can relax during the journey.

day 12 is going to be very tiring also. wanaka to fox glacier is at least 3+ hrs drive. it took me almost the whole day, stopping for lunch and sightseeing. if u going to visit lake wanaka and roy's peak, u probably can only set off from wanaka around noon. so by the time u reach fox glacier, it is already evening. wun have time for doing any sightseeing in fox glacier or franz josef glacier

my advice will be to take things easy and space out ur trip more. NZ is meant to be enjoyed at a leisure pace, to relax and immerse urself in nature

Thanks for the advice! Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin.
Between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, do we have to visit both? Or just one will do? Is it recommended to stay at FG/FJG?

Have you done skydiving too? Any recommendation? Thanks!

foodieeee

Reaction score
I think too ambitious to go North and South in 2 weeks. U probably spend more time travelling than doing any other thing.

2 weeks alone in the south doing standard loop also pretty rush Liao.

If u haven't book anything yet than I think best to replan everything again. Like the post above, consider the time needed to travel, rest, lunch, taking photo, sight seeing.
Unless u intend to drive without stopping at all, u need to add 30-90min to the timing provided by Google..

Personally, I do drive at night sometimes but it all depends on your comfort level.. and the area that u will be driving in.

Thanks for the advice! So far only flights from SIN-AKL and CHC-SIN are booked. The others are not booked yet.
Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin. Should we remove Coromandel too? since it's quite out of the way.

foodieeee

Reaction score
Hi. Me also planning to self drive there. I have never been to NZ but from what i observed. The typical normal airfare from SG to South island such as Christchurch is at least $1.3k per pax and Queentown is much more . One of the cheapest afre i seen is $788 that is to the north, Wellington at $788 by air NZ. Another "cheap" way is to fly to Melbourne at the cheapest fare,Then fly to Christchurch from there.

I feel Accommodation is not really very cheap. A good decent still cost at $100-120 and above. Car rental for 9-10 days by Apex at least $500.

I am not into heli hike as i have been to the glacier in iceland , tandem skydiving, bungee jump and flying fox type as i no longer young. Therefore i can actually save a lot cost from it. If mainly stick to sight seeing and scenery. My estimation is about $6k for 2 pax all inclusive.

I'll be travelling in group of 4pax, and is deciding between renting campervan to stay overnight at campsites/holiday parks or renting normal car + stay in airbnbs. Which option will you be doing?

For flights, managed to get SIN-SYD via scoot, SYD-AKL via jetstar, CHC-SIN via emirates at less than $1k per pax during promo.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin.
Between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, do we have to visit both? Or just one will do? Is it recommended to stay at FG/FJG?

i stayed 2 nights in FJG but it was only 1 full day there coz it took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG so only reach in the evening. and i had to leave early in morning on the 3rd day coz needed to drive all the way to christchurch.

i did helihike at FJG and it took half a day. so i only had time to visit the mirror lake near fox glacier after tt and didnt really go hike to fox glacier itself

i didnt do skydriving. but regardless whether skydriving or helihike, both are very dependent of weather conditions. so it will be good if u can cater more days there, so u can buffer for bad weather.

my plan for 2 nights is such that if i cant do helihike on day 2, day 3 morning will be my backup, then i will drop some of the places that i planned between FJG and christchurch.

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score

Nowadays the terminal face of these glaciers have receded so far there's not really much to see any more. But the walk up to the glaciers can be enjoyable and scenic. Just do either or both if time allows. The skydive at Fox is nice, with fantastic views of the snow capped mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

igarashi

Reaction score
i stayed 2 nights in FJG but it was only 1 full day there coz it took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG so only reach in the evening. and i had to leave early in morning on the 3rd day coz needed to drive all the way to christchurch.

i did helihike at FJG and it took half a day. so i only had time to visit the mirror lake near fox glacier after tt and didnt really go hike to fox glacier itself

i didnt do skydriving. but regardless whether skydriving or helihike, both are very dependent of weather conditions. so it will be good if u can cater more days there, so u can buffer for bad weather.

my plan for 2 nights is such that if i cant do helihike on day 2, day 3 morning will be my backup, then i will drop some of the places that i planned between FJG and christchurch.

Do you purchase online the Helihike ? or went there straight ?

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be going to NZ in late Nov for 10 days. As it is a short trip, I will be flying direct to Queenstown. What are the places to visit around Queenstown? Going to tour on a leisurely pace.

TIA

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you purchase online the Helihike ? or went there straight ?
Yah, purchase online in advance. Dun want to take the risk of not getting a slot.
If u already booked and the helihike canceled, they will try to reschedule u

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT

igarashi

Reaction score
Yah, purchase online in advance. Dun want to take the risk of not getting a slot.

oh ok. Planning to spent 2 night there just in case.

soxwork

Reaction score

Which tours you guys took ?

I notice there are at least 2 companies, helicopter line and franz Josef glacier guides

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which tours you guys took ?

I notice there are at least 2 companies, helicopter line and franz Josef glacier guides
Mine was Franz Josef glacier guides. They are located within town area, so a bit more convenient

soxwork

Reaction score
Mine was Franz Josef glacier guides. They are located within town area, so a bit more convenient

I notice helicopter line is also along main road. Cheaper but does not include the hot pool.

Do we really spend 3 hours on the ice ? If let’s say I urgently need to use the toilet, how ?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I notice helicopter line is also along main road. Cheaper but does not include the hot pool.

Do we really spend 3 hours on the ice ? If let’s say I urgently need to use the toilet, how ?
Actually the hot pool nothing much. Just a good to have, but really optional.

Need to go toilet before going for the helihike.
There is no toilet once u are up there.

soxwork

Reaction score
Actually the hot pool nothing much. Just a good to have, but really optional.

Need to go toilet before going for the helihike.
There is no toilet once u are up there.

The hotpool has time limit ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.