50 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yah true. If u go harvey norman millenia walk can see a whole wall of different tvs all look almost the same haha.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ended up with Q7F. Seriously can’t tell its “inferior” even though not full array. Some more it looks sexier. Lol

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ended up with Q7F. Seriously can’t tell its “inferior” even though not full array. Some more it looks sexier. Lol

Try to play with the smart remote. I think it is one up compared to many other models.
Example, I have Xiaomi STB connected thru HDMI. After pairing, basically you only need the Smart remote.
At first, I though you have to use back Xiaomi remote to at lease power up the STB. No, when you select the HDMI port of STB connection. The STB get power on at the same time. AND, if u power off the TV. STB also power off !

Very clever design.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try to play with the smart remote. I think it is one up compared to many other models.
Example, I have Xiaomi STB connected thru HDMI. After pairing, basically you only need the Smart remote.
At first, I though you have to use back Xiaomi remote to at lease power up the STB. No, when you select the HDMI port of STB connection. The STB get power on at the same time. AND, if u power off the TV. STB also power off !

Very clever design.
Will see if it works with singtel tv box. Lol

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new UHD TV to replace my current Living Room one which is having vertical lines all over now and seems like the built-in speaker is now bad as when tune up volume a bit can hear those "coarse" noise.

3 Samsung LED TVs were bought back in 2012 when we shifted house from Serangoon to AMK. 1 in Master Bedroom "broke down" and got the motherboard replaced while only in the 2nd year so warranty fully covered by Samsung. 1 in my Bed Room started to have dim upper left and right arcs since a year plus ago.

Wonder if it is worth to get those "Extended" warranty if buying via Courts or Harvey Norman?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new UHD TV to replace my current Living Room one which is having vertical lines all over now and seems like the built-in speaker is now bad as when tune up volume a bit can hear those "coarse" noise.

3 Samsung LED TVs were bought back in 2012 when we shifted house from Serangoon to AMK. 1 in Master Bedroom "broke down" and got the motherboard replaced while only in the 2nd year so warranty fully covered by Samsung. 1 in my Bed Room started to have dim upper left and right arcs since a year plus ago.

Wonder if it is worth to get those "Extended" warranty if buying via Courts or Harvey Norman?

Not sure if these extended warranty covers regarded panel vs defect. You may want to double confirm it before purchase as usually this is some kind of insurance plan.

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure if these extended warranty covers regarded panel vs defect. You may want to double confirm it before purchase as usually this is some kind of insurance plan.

The one from Courts Enhance Protection reads:

Accidental damage
(one-time claim; up to 3 years)

* Covers damage caused by physical impact or liquid spillage

* Covers cracked screen, lenses and glass panels

https://www.courts.com.sg/guru/warranties-tvs-entertainment

etoilebiscuit

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten what to check for when getting display sets?

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten what to check for when getting display sets?

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

For OLED, never get a displayed unit. For LED/LCD, some brand can display power on hours. Never take salesman words of unit just put up a few days ago.

icheb

Reaction score
For OLED, never get a displayed unit. For LED/LCD, some brand can display power on hours. Never take salesman words of unit just put up a few days ago.

I tend to be skeptical when it comes to display set. You never know how they treat the display set and how long it has been left there. Imagine having the tv switched on, running through the same video sequence for close to 12 hours a day.

However I made an exception when they told me that the tv model that I wanted to buy, they had an open set with a further discount on the set. They told me that someone bought it, wanted to mount it at home but realised it was too big. In the end the buyer had to return the set and get a smaller one. The opened set was left in the store for 3 days at a discount before it caught my attention. I asked for proof of the purchase that it was just 3 days ago and sure enough they had a copy of the invoice. So I snapped it up at a lower cost. So far so good.

icheb

Reaction score
Yah true. If u go harvey norman millenia walk can see a whole wall of different tvs all look almost the same haha.

The main question is; how much of a premium are you willing to pay for a small, incremental increase in specs and performance? Minor spec bumps from model to model with improved picture quality usually have diminishing returns, in a sense that you have to pay so much more for an added feature that adds very little benefit.

Always good to stay within your budget and critically ask yourself; how much more will you enjoy with the improvement you will ultimately get for the price you are going to pay?

A good example will be TVs of the same model, but released last year and this year. For most cases, the improvements are so minor that you won't see a difference, yet you can potentially get a good deal with discounts due to clearance of old stocks or models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.