Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Without being specific to MS Surface (because I think the QC is really poor), hybrids are actually very good alternatives to tablets. Sure they are not as finger friendly as compared to the likes of iOS and Android, but they are very versatile machines. They are very compact which is good for travelling, and the ability to use it without the physical keyboard is a nice feature. Only downsides are the poorer battery life and heat.

Yes, but my question is whether Windows tablet mode is even useful at all, given there's almost no windows mobile devices anymore. Are apps still developed for it? If not the 2 in 1 is really more of just a compact Windows laptop with a rather useless tablet mode

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's exactly why it's annoying that Samsung dun use the latest processor and a higher ram for its "premium" tablet, knowing this disadvantage compared to iPad. Yet they are trying to compete with iPad at the same pricing level

To be fair to Samsung, they can only play catch up. With the onslaught of Chinese phones that are pushing things like number of cores, amount of ram, etc on their mobile phones, people will start to feel that these tablet specs are outdated very quickly.

For a start to make things better, Samsung should remove whatever features they have added to the stock Android. That should bring back some performance.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lucky for me only buy it to buy movies, hate watching on my iPad Pro. Tbh 120hz or not it’s the same, after awhile don’t really feel it
The problem with the 120Hz feature is that we don't know when it is working. It is dynamically controlled by the SOC and I don't think it is working when using it for movies. I will try and see if I can see any difference between my old and new iPad.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, but my question is whether Windows tablet mode is even useful at all, given there's almost no windows mobile devices anymore. Are apps still developed for it? If not the 2 in 1 is really more of just a compact Windows laptop with a rather useless tablet mode

I think it depends on your usage. For me, the lack of apps on the MS Store is not an issue. The main apps I use are iTunes and Netflix which fortunately, are available. Other than that, I only need MS Office and a photo editing software on my hybrid. The device also allows me to do some light gaming from either Steam or games from GOG.

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on your usage. For me, the lack of apps on the MS Store is not an issue. The main apps I use are iTunes and Netflix which fortunately, are available. Other than that, I only need MS Office and a photo editing software on my hybrid. The device also allows me to do some light gaming from either Steam or games from GOG.

Ic, then that's probably different requirement. I want primarily a tablet with desktop function (best is full desktop function of course) rather than a full desktop with some tablet function (Windows is probably a full tablet but the current state is just too pathetic)

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem with the 120Hz feature is that we don't know when it is working. It is dynamically controlled by the SOC and I don't think it is working when using it for movies. I will try and see if I can see any difference between my old and new iPad.
Probably the most important function for this is for the Apple pencil input to have almost zero lag when writing. Even though Samsung Note is not bad, sometimes I still feel very sight lag when I'm writing

RLWZ21

Reaction score
Ic, then that's probably different requirement. I want primarily a tablet with desktop function (best is full desktop function of course) rather than a full desktop with some tablet function (Windows is probably a full tablet but the current state is just too pathetic)

What u want is like chrome OS/remix OS of such?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iPads are superior mainly because Apple controls both hardware and software. Thus, giving them a huge advantage. On the flipside, Samsung just gets an off the shelf SD 835 and Android OS for their tablets, and furthermore, introduced more "extra features" on the OS. These basically will have an impact on performance.

The main cons of Apple is of course the walled garden ecosystem. So much so that it gets pretty annoying since a simple task of transferring photos from my camera to iPad is quite a pain.

In my book, making something as simple as file transfer in this year 2018 as difficult to execute on a iPad, is unforgivable and trumps anything other benefits the iPad may have. We buy a tablet first and foremost for convenience... it should not obstruct or hinder what we want to do with it or restrict how you could use it. Then it becomes pointless... just like spending time scrolling through dozens of apps to look for one app is just a waste of time for what is a productivity device...

Last edited:

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What u want is like chrome OS/remix OS of such?

Which ia why the dex mode would be interesting. Attached keyboard + mouse, a desktop like experience.
When using excel, could edit the cell for formulae.

Ppt could "lost" theme template (as need to adopt company)

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably the most important function for this is for the Apple pencil input to have almost zero lag when writing. Even though Samsung Note is not bad, sometimes I still feel very sight lag when I'm writing

Oh? I thought the Apple Pencil has no lag vis-a-vis the standard stylus? The Samsung S-pen on my Note 8 is almost lagless. It exhibits lag nearer the edges of the screen. Granted that the screen is very small, the pen is not so useful for writing more than a few lines. I use it to write answers which include drawing diagrams. Works but not the same precision as pen on paper. Never tried the Apple Pencil on an iPad but reviews seem to indicate zero lag... but I don't need a stylus for my tablet...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dex seems to be your answer... won't the Note 8 with Dex give you the horsepower you're looking for? Then don't need an overlapping device right?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which ia why the dex mode would be interesting. Attached keyboard + mouse, a desktop like experience.
When using excel, could edit the cell for formulae.

Ppt could "lost" theme template (as need to adopt company)

I agree... I would use that if I didn't need some specialized software for Windows... it's probably good enough for email, surfing, and perhaps some types of games...

Is there any lag in the input from mouse and keyboard in your experience.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be fair to Samsung, they can only play catch up. With the onslaught of Chinese phones that are pushing things like number of cores, amount of ram, etc on their mobile phones, people will start to feel that these tablet specs are outdated very quickly.

For a start to make things better, Samsung should remove whatever features they have added to the stock Android. That should bring back some performance.

Hmmm... I don't think this is a matter of catch up but rather their strategy where they're holding back the tablets so that they do not cannibalize their phone sales? There's really no reason not to stick the best processor in your flagship tablet...

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dex seems to be your answer... won't the Note 8 with Dex give you the horsepower you're looking for? Then don't need an overlapping device right?

Seriously Dex on phone dun really make sense to me. Need monitor, keyboard and mouse (dun mention Dex Station), chances are there's already a pc around if I have all these.

But Dex in-built into Tab S4 is really enticing and make a lot of sense to me.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It seems only to work when in using the tablet's interface... running the screen at 120 Hz permanently would probably just destroy the battery life...

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh? I thought the Apple Pencil has no lag vis-a-vis the standard stylus? The Samsung S-pen on my Note 8 is almost lagless. It exhibits lag nearer the edges of the screen. Granted that the screen is very small, the pen is not so useful for writing more than a few lines. I use it to write answers which include drawing diagrams. Works but not the same precision as pen on paper. Never tried the Apple Pencil on an iPad but reviews seem to indicate zero lag... but I don't need a stylus for my tablet...

Technically there's 20ms lag or something, but it will probably appear as zero lag to us when using.

1000fist

Master Member
Reaction score
2 weeks old samsung galaxy tab s3 wifi with full box cover and screen protector 550 can buy?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.