4K broadcasts in Singapore

Bondibeachboy

Reaction score
Are there plans for 4K broadcasts in Singapore? It would be great to watch the premier league and F1 in 4K.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even now only HD channels are, erm, HD

So many channels still in SD even though the carrier signal itself is 1080

Song boh most technologically advanced country in Asia.

wwh5210

Master Member
Reaction score
All TV contents in Singapore are in 1080i and not even 1080P.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U forgot that we are still not even in 1080p.

When I first bought my 1st full HD TV in 2008. Mediacorp Broadcast HD in 1080i. I believe most of the source now are in 1080p just that our infrastructure such aa our starhub TV points are unable to support.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U forgot that we are still not even in 1080p.

When I first bought my 1st full HD TV in 2008. Mediacorp Broadcast HD in 1080i. I believe most of the source now are in 1080p just that our infrastructure such aa our starhub TV points are unable to support.

In Korea, KBS is already in UHD.

Apex

Reaction score
This is something SG is lagging behind. National broadcaster doesn't feel a need to go into 4K because nobody watches their crappy drama except grandparents. They can't tell the difference between SD/HD/UHD and 4K. To them got image and sound means okey.

I personally feel that China has overtaken Taiwan in terms of the video image and sound recording for live or studio program. That "M" broadcaster if they can fight with Taiwan, don't talk about UHD.

Just my POV

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let me give u more details about our broadcast.

They are barely on 1080i resolution. But surprising no one mentioned that it's only in mpeg 2 format!!

Not even in mpeg 4 or avc/h264, let alone in hevc/h265!

Such antiquated format that existed more than 20 years ago

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is something SG is lagging behind. National broadcaster doesn't feel a need to go into 4K because nobody watches their crappy drama except grandparents. They can't tell the difference between SD/HD/UHD and 4K. To them got image and sound means okey.

I personally feel that China has overtaken Taiwan in terms of the video image and sound recording for live or studio program. That "M" broadcaster if they can fight with Taiwan, don't talk about UHD.

Just my POV

China has 14b of population, Taiwan is 230 millions of population . Singapore ?
Sure, we can always has the best technology in the world. But cost is one and how many people will work in this line is another.

xiangzeng

Reaction score
China has 14b of population, Taiwan is 230 millions of population . Singapore ?
Sure, we can always has the best technology in the world. But cost is one and how many people will work in this line is another.

China has only 1 point 4 billion people, not 14 billion people. Taiwan has 23.5 million people estimated 2018.

My thinking is maybe another 15 years (a guess only) before any incremental improvement to the resolution of the video recording and its broadcast to local viewers. There is need to add on storage capacity when increasing the resolution to 4K for every tv show and other related work which I don't know about first hand. Also the ability of the broadcast equipment to allow for 4K broadcast. All this cost money.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
China has only 1 point 4 billion people, not 14 billion people. Taiwan has 23.5 million people estimated 2018.

My thinking is maybe another 15 years (a guess only) before any incremental improvement to the resolution of the video recording and its broadcast to local viewers. There is need to add on storage capacity when increasing the resolution to 4K for every tv show and other related work which I don't know about first hand. Also the ability of the broadcast equipment to allow for 4K broadcast. All this cost money.

Thanks for correction.

bleonz

Reaction score
End of the day...it depends on who is going to pay the bill for setting up the infrastructure....mediacock, for sure will not foot the bill, no significant benefits to them (since they are our only sole national broadcaster)...but if IMDA or any govt bodies going to bear the costs...then we can move into 4K.
Btw, the current dvb-t2 specs and standard already supports 4K transmission...

mulderfox

Reaction score
Do you know how video compression works? H.264 and HEVC are definitely better and more efficient, but require more horsepower for the TV/digital receiver to be able to show. Not all sets will be able to show that content, and broadcasters will always attempt to serve their content to as many as possible.

They are barely on 1080i resolution. But surprising no one mentioned that it's only in mpeg 2 format!!

dexter9898

Reaction score

FYI - Starhub, SingTel and Mediacorp are all using H.264 now. H.264 chipset only available around 2005 and Mediacorp started HD5 broadcast in 2006 using H.264.:s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.