Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically it's the best Android tablet avaliable with the interesting Dex, but factor in the price it becomes very hard to swallow with the specs it's offering

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pentium Gold 4415Y found on Surface Go seeming have better CPU performance over Snapdragon 845. This is the only closest comparison i could find on web:

geek1.jpg

https://liliputing.com/2018/05/wind...to-40-percent-faster-with-snapdragon-845.html

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=4415y&sort=multicore_score

Of course, GPU department will be a totally different league on S4..

CPU really depends. If the processor is running an emulator, it will surely take a performance hit, whether its emulating Android or vice versa.

Also as you have rightly pointed out, the GPU on the Intel chip is just poor. So gaming is likely out of the question.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-review-891863/

The review seems bad, conclusion of the review, don't buy it.

In fact majority of the reviews are not good, i.e a middling score. Performance is not good too, especially even when compared to an iPad 2018, which cost less and still beating the S4.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically it's the best Android tablet avaliable with the interesting Dex, but factor in the price it becomes very hard to swallow with the specs it's offering

Personally, I feel DEX is good for mobile phones where you can dock and use it on a bigger screen. On a tablet, it is less useful.

Price wise, I feel the low demand really limits the economies of scale to build this. Therefore, it cannot be competitively priced.

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel DEX is good for mobile phones where you can dock and use it on a bigger screen. On a tablet, it is less useful.

Price wise, I feel the low demand really limits the economies of scale to build this. Therefore, it cannot be competitively priced.

Hmm, how come? Monitor, keyboard and mouse, which place is going to have all these in the absence of an actual PC? Not to mention you have to carry your Dex Station along.

On tablet with the keyboard cover however, it's true portability. And if you do want to use on a big screen, the tablet can be connected to one too without the DeX station.

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-review-891863/

The review seems bad, conclusion of the review, don't buy it.

The reviewer wanted to use as a laptop.
Today, the challenge for android tablet is the app suppor5...they are simply not suppprted (unlike apple)...which leads to the poor review....
It is not sammy issue...but rather android.
Thr desktop mode is to be use fot productivity..(thus uf the type civer has mouse pad would b great)

For me, i will switch between dex and std interface.
For the ms office, dex
For media and games, std interfacr

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think one big problem now is there is rumour you actually need to subscribe to MS Office in order to use it on Dex. If true, the DeX will be almost useless

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think one big problem now is there is rumour you actually need to subscribe to MS Office in order to use it on Dex. If true, the DeX will be almost useless
I hv the subscription already...
Again...its not Samsung issue. MS office (paid subsvription) allow edit blah blah

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hv the subscription already...
Again...its not Samsung issue. MS office (paid subsvription) allow edit blah blah

It isn't, but that's going to add one more thumbs down for people who are considering. MS Office is the saving grace of DeX at the moment when there are limited Dex optimised apps around now

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is not a rumor. To be able to use Office to edit documents for free, the device screen size cannot be greater than 10.1 inch. At 10.5 inches, the S4 and iPad Pro no longer qualifies for free use, i.e. Editing.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can still use ms office la...just the washed down version..

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That would make it no point to get this tablet anymore with the most useful productivity apps disabled in Dex

To be honest, I have never used MS Office on my mobile devices so far, whether they run on iOS or Android. For Android, I use OfficeSuite Pro, and Polaris Office on my iPad. They get the job done as well, though they are not free, they have a one time cost, and don't cost as much as a subscription based MS Office.

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have never used MS Office on my mobile devices so far, whether they run on iOS or Android. For Android, I use OfficeSuite Pro, and Polaris Office on my iPad. They get the job done as well, though they are not free, they have a one time cost, and don't cost as much as a subscription based MS Office.

Yeah, but depends if they are Dex optimised. The 2-in-1 feature on Tab S4 will be the main reason if I want to buy this, I definitely dun want to pay that price for a pure android tablet with such disappointing specs.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but depends if they are Dex optimised. The 2-in-1 feature on Tab S4 will be the main reason if I want to buy this, I definitely dun want to pay that price for a pure android tablet with such disappointing specs.

Out of curiosity, does the Tab S4 come with Dex, or is another separate purchase like for their mobile phones? I think it's a separate cost if I am not wrong.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.