Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning solo trip late Sep early oct Tokyo > Nagano > Kyoto, would it be too early for autumn scenery?

Tokyo and Kyoto too early
Nagano also. Might need to go even colder like Hokkaido up the mountains to see autumn leaves.
Cities area in Hokkaido also too early

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone taken the NEX train to and from Narita? how's the experience like? thinking of trying this out as previously, i took the normal Keisei airport line and changed at one station to Ikebukuro.

it's good. comfortable with good leg room.

oarfish72

Reaction score
JR passes are to cover the expensive trips on shinkansen and limited express trains. for travelling within the city, u dun need the JR pass. so for ur case, it will be to cover the trip from osaka to takayama, and takayama to tokyo. so likely a 7-day pass will suffice.

depending on ur itinerary, single trip tickets may be cheaper. or some combination of regional pass and single trip tickets.

some possibilities:
7-day JR pass: 29110yen
osaka-takayama + takayama-tokyo single trip: 11k + 15K yen
takayama horuriku area pass + nagoay-tokyo: 14k + 11k yen

also, note that kyoto is nearer to takayama while osaka is nearer to kix airport if u are flying into kix. so u may want to do sin -> osaka -> kyoto -> takayama

Thank you very much !

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi planning a trip for next April 19th till May 1st. Slight overlap with Golden week but I hope to finish all my long train journeys before that and spend last few days in Tokyo.

For the weekend before golden week, April 27 and 28th, would it be very crowded at hitachi seaside park? I am trying to arrange my itinerary. If I need to visit on the Friday 26th, I will have to cut out one day from my Takayama section.

I plan to cover Alpine route, pink moss and nemophilia in this trip. If weather condition or blooming not ideal, I may skip but the hotels would have been booked and fixed. Thanks.

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi planning a trip for next April 19th till May 1st. Slight overlap with Golden week but I hope to finish all my long train journeys before that and spend last few days in Tokyo.

For the weekend before golden week, April 27 and 28th, would it be very crowded at hitachi seaside park? I am trying to arrange my itinerary. If I need to visit on the Friday 26th, I will have to cut out one day from my Takayama section.

I plan to cover Alpine route, pink moss and nemophilia in this trip. If weather condition or blooming not ideal, I may skip but the hotels would have been booked and fixed. Thanks.

Yes, it would be. I’ve done it few years ago (also flew back on 1 May) and it was massive jam all the way to Fuji Shibazakura Festival over the weekend. Took the bus from Kawaguchiko Station before 9am, the ride was supposed to be a 30 min journey and we were stuck on the bus for more than two hours. Your choice.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If jam like this, then I will remove Kanazawa and return to Tokyo one day earlier. Or go to nagoya’s nabana no sato on the same day I arrive in Nagoya. This way I will be hitting the pink moss on Thursday and nemophilia on Friday. The weekend before golden week just stay in Tokyo.

Yes, it would be. I’ve done it few years ago (also flew back on 1 May) and it was massive jam all the way to Fuji Shibazakura Festival over the weekend. Took the bus from Kawaguchiko Station before 9am, the ride was supposed to be a 30 min journey and we were stuck on the bus for more than two hours. Your choice.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

it is definitely going to be crowded at the peak of pink moss bloom in shibazakura park and nemophilia in hitachi seaside park, regardless whether it is golden week or not. best to cater more time for travelling, and buy park/transport tickets in advance.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be using JR Tokyo wide pass so transport won’t be an issue except for the final local bus segment. I was thinking to leave my itinerary flexible that if not at peak bloom, I will just skip the park. So should I still buy tickets first? And I am unaware both shibazakura and nemophilia can buy park entrance tickets online.

it is definitely going to be crowded at the peak of pink moss bloom in shibazakura park and nemophilia in hitachi seaside park, regardless whether it is golden week or not. best to cater more time for travelling, and buy park/transport tickets in advance.

thwysg

Reaction score
I will be using JR Tokyo wide pass so transport won’t be an issue except for the final local bus segment. I was thinking to leave my itinerary flexible that if not at peak bloom, I will just skip the park. So should I still buy tickets first? And I am unaware both shibazakura and nemophilia can buy park entrance tickets online.

Just to add on, I also went to Alpine Route during that period, very crowded because it just opened for the first week. Just be aware of the queues in every segment along the Route. Lots of Asian tourists armed with selfie sticks. They just swung the sticks around without thinking that they might injure someone.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous. What time do you start on the route? I am hoping the first train from
Toyama would help. I still have to make my way to Matsumoto after the route.

Just to add on, I also went to Alpine Route during that period, very crowded because it just opened for the first week. Just be aware of the queues in every segment along the Route. Lots of Asian tourists armed with selfie sticks. They just swung the sticks around without thinking that they might injure someone.

thwysg

Reaction score
Sounds dangerous. What time do you start on the route? I am hoping the first train from
Toyama would help. I still have to make my way to Matsumoto after the route.

We only managed to catch 7am train from Toyama station despite reaching there slightly after 6am. Tickets were sold out for the earlier timing. By then, it was already quite crowded.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tickets could not be bought earlier? I will stay the night near Toyama station. Planning to use the alpine takayama Matsumoto pass. Supposed to cover the train from Toyama.

We only managed to catch 7am train from Toyama station despite reaching there slightly after 6am. Tickets were sold out for the earlier timing. By then, it was already quite crowded.

thwysg

Reaction score
Tickets could not be bought earlier? I will stay the night near Toyama station. Planning to use the alpine takayama Matsumoto pass. Supposed to cover the train from Toyama.

We didn’t buy any pass as it would not cover our 3-week trip. Open jaw tickets - flying into Nagoya and out from Haneda.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is some highway bus + shibazakura combo ticket that can be purchase in advance. But I think tt is for traveling from shinjuku. Not sure if there is such tickets from Kawaguchiko.

Highway bus tickets itself can be bought online, so at least get tt one, since seats are limited. Park tickets at most just queue loh

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.