Manchester United - Theatre of Dreams - Part 33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
'He is the first choice,' added Mourinho. 'The thinking is he is a very good penalty taker and likes the responsibility of it.

'Of course, we have second or third choice in case he is not confident or for some reason doesn't want to take it.

'But he was ready and practised lots of penalties during the World Cup.'

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The perfect midfield partner? Paul Pogba rates Fred’s Manchester United debut

Although Pogba admits there is still plenty for both he and Fred – as well as youngster Andreas Pereira – to work on, he is happy with their first outing together and the potential their partnership possesses.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/11/the-...-manchester-united-debut-7825985/?ito=cbshare

Pogba, Fred & Andreas Pereira could form a very good partnership & run the Man Utd midfield. 1 very good advantage are these 3 are young & they can play together for many yrs.

Last edited:

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Michael Carrick, Kieran McKenna and Jose Mourinho.
DkQx7f-XsAAbmdP.jpg

vitaminc1231

Master Member
Reaction score
Luke Shaw fantasy league one person with Captain was 33 points, wow. A bit shocked to learn that was his first ever goal too.

Anyway what is the quote for the forum here? Didn't see anyone post it.

TakKiu

Master Member
Reaction score
Luke Shaw defensive ability buay sai... He started his career as a defender or midfielder? Too casual and doesn't tackle... Play as centre back with him in a team sure pui chao nua.

:spin:

Last edited:

19dino

Master Member
Reaction score
zhun bo? 100 debuts, first goal....ya emotional

the lad came a long long way...glad he didnt give up

From being rumour to buying him... to seeing him snatched from then Chelsea... to seeing him link up with Memphis...till that leg break... Till being in and out of the team... Ya.. That's a personal victory for the lad...

TOKARA

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Luke Shaw fantasy league one person with Captain was 33 points, wow. A bit shocked to learn that was his first ever goal too.

Anyway what is the quote for the forum here? Didn't see anyone post it.

that english chap triple capt him lol

thenakedshades

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s the first time we see Baily and Lindelof partner up if I’m not wrong.

Not bad, had nervy moments but will be a good partnership if both start fit and Jose plays them together

WhiteHunter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s the first time we see Baily and Lindelof partner up if I’m not wrong.

Not bad, had nervy moments but will be a good partnership if both start fit and Jose plays them together

i prefer every week bailly and lindelof playing together rather than jones and smalling. with matic back our defence will be stronger.

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jose Mourinho finds some harmony at last - Dublin

'This is Old Trafford, and we are United - this is how we play'
Mourinho said after the game that his side showed glimpses of what they are capable of, and they certainly made an impressive start.

Yes, they went ahead inside the first three minutes through Paul Pogba's penalty, but what was important was the way they went after Leicester right from the off.

United were outstanding in the early stages and I think the Foxes were in shock at the way they came out of the blocks and took control of the game.

It was almost as if they were saying 'look this is Old Trafford, and we are United - this is how we play'.

There was a fantastic atmosphere inside the ground because United were playing the kind of football their fans want to see and showing them something they had not seen for a long time, which was a bit of a spark.

Their first thought when they got the ball was always to get it forward and they were trying to get their wide players high up the pitch, which is the United way.

It was very exciting to watch for the first 20 or 25 minutes but, when they took their foot off the gas, Leicester came right back into the game.

Pogba responds to being given responsibility
Things were a lot more even for the rest of the match but I also think Mourinho will be happy with the way his side managed the game when Leicester were posing a threat.

I know they had a lapse right at the end when Jamie Vardy pulled a goal back for the Foxes but, otherwise, they had the kind of focus they needed.

That was down to the organisation and discipline of the senior players that Mourinho could call upon, and how hard they worked together as a unit when they did not have the ball.

It was telling that he made Pogba his skipper in the absence of the injured Antonio Valencia, after all the speculation that the France midfielder is unhappy and wants to leave.

Mourinho got it right. Pogba responded with a strong all-round performance, as well as scoring the opening goal after what I have to say was a very strange run-up for his penalty.

Jose is the type of manager who gives someone the captaincy for the right reasons and I think he decided to give Pogba some responsibility for managing the game and the players around him, which was a very clever move.

'Shaw is the best left-back at the club'
Pogba was not the only United player to impress me. Juan Mata was brilliant at picking the right pass and Andreas Pereira was also very steady.

On his United debut, Fred did well at what I would call the ugly work, which was winning the ball back and not trying to be too clever when he had it, and I thought Alexis Sanchez's work without the ball was superb too.

There are some attacking players who might as well not be in the side if they are not scoring or creating, but Sanchez does all of that and also works hard and breaks up the opposition play when United do not have possession.

Sanchez ticks all the boxes you want from your forward, so it is very hard to leave him out.

And I was delighted for Luke Shaw to get his first goal in senior football.

Mourinho has been critical of Shaw in the past but he was full of praise for him afterwards, and rightly so.

Luke made one mistake - towards the end of the game when he was caught in possession inside his own area by Vardy - but he will not need to be told about it.

He is the best left-back at the club when he is fit and flying so I am glad he has got his goal, because it should take a bit of pressure off him.

Lindelof and Bailly - together at the back?
Mourinho did not get the new centre-half he wanted in the transfer window and, from the comments he made after the Leicester match about being a head coach instead of a manager, he is still not happy about it.

But considering Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly had played so little together in their time at United - just 99 minutes in total before Friday's game - they looked pretty solid and sturdy at the back.

Bailly can be a bit rash and possibly needs a voice in his ear as he is about to dive into a tackle to say 'stand up, stand up' but he got away with it against Leicester and is clearly a good defender.

As I was saying on BBC Radio 5 live on Friday, United have a very strong squad. If you have round pegs in round holes, and all of them are doing the right job at the same time, then you are going to do well.

The best news for Mourinho is that it looks like there were will be a few battles going on for places in his first XI over the next few weeks, all over the pitch.

And I don't think there were any negatives for him on Friday,

Yes, Marcus Rashford missed a couple of half-chances, but there was nothing clear-cut, while Romelu Lukaku should have scored when he was clean through but Kasper Schmeichel made a superb save.

That's not surprising, because I know from experience that everyone is a bit rusty for the first game back.

United still got the win despite probably only being at 70%, and everyone who was involved is going to be fitter next time. I am looking forward to seeing how their season progresses from here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45137148

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.