Second hand conti

unclebutcher

Reaction score
Hi all, my Civic expiring end of this yr and planning to get a second hand Conti, first one, KIV extend COE if maintenance ok. Don't want to pay the ridiculous down payments and forced loans for a new car
Looking at about 2011:
1. MB C180
2. BMW 320i
3. Audi A4
4. VW scirocco

Not looking at Lexus IS because the 2500cc road tax is frankly not worth paying. And it's ugly. (The pre 2016 IS)

Pros for MB:
Best resale value out of the lot
Average ARF at $38000
Cons:
Most expensive depreciation out of the lot

Pros for BMW:
Cheap depreciation, alot of examples at sgcm for 7000-8500 per annum
Lower ARF than MB... about $35000. Lugi less at renewal

Cons for BMW
Sketchy engine reliability
Dated looks
2L engine road tax adds up with the surcharge for >10 yr old vehicles

Pros for Audi
Best looking out of the trio

Cons for Audi
Worst resale value of the trio

Also kiv scirocco ...
Chio, cheap, small engine, but no badge

Performance not important to me. I'd prefer fuss free motoring. Yes yes, I know Japanese cars are fuss free but I'd like a little more luxury for my daily commute.any thoughts?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most ppl hong kan already after buy used conti, still die die want used conti. Can u afford the repair or not? Prepare chao chao 10k, and 50% weekends spend at workshop u ok?

Its better u renew coe of your car. C180 is your best bet if u want conti but u need to bring foreman to inspect and waiting to chop your carrot.

But ultimately its your choice. Have fun!

Sent from Old Man Pressing For Retirement using GAGT

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My relative civic mileage 300k, not much problem. Scrap ten years

unclebutcher

Reaction score
My relative civic mileage 300k, not much problem. Scrap ten years

Yes my 235k 9.5yrs has been going strong. Hardly any trouble. Just past half engine oil leak 2L but didn't go diagnose. But it's not the most fun to drive or look at

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most ppl hong kan already after buy used conti, still die die want used conti. Can u afford the repair or not? Prepare chao chao 10k, and 50% weekends spend at workshop u ok?

Its better u renew coe of your car. C180 is your best bet if u want conti but u need to bring foreman to inspect and waiting to chop your carrot.

You hear say hear say or yourself has the experience with conti?

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score

They start learning to be a dua kang from scratch like from computer ah beng first then upgrade to what they say ricer then subsequently old beng who dabble in the cheapest of the range branded watch

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have owned a bmw 3 series, fiat coupe, alfa 145 and sillyco. All gave me nightmares except the bmw which i used for 5 yrs then start giving problems, which i quickly dump it.

These are beautiful cars but spending so much time in the workshop and causing massive jams on sg highways due to breakdown is not fun. Conti only can buy new and must let go once start giving problems. There is a reason ppl sell their conti cars at a high lost...Losing 50k to 100k after 3 to 5yrs is no joke. :(

TS want to buy and repair, by all means go and buy. Just be prepared.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I have owned a bmw 3 series, fiat coupe, alfa 145 and sillyco. All gave me nightmares except the bmw which i used for 5 yrs then start giving problems, which i quickly dump it.

These are beautiful cars but spending so much time in the workshop and causing massive jams on sg highways due to breakdown is not fun. Conti only can buy new and must let go once start giving problems. There is a reason ppl sell their conti cars at a high lost...Losing 50k to 100k after 3 to 5yrs is no joke. :(

That is also how you learn about different parts of the car mah. : o

tweety_piyo

Reaction score

cant blame anyone else but yourself if you want to choose all the unreliable conti brands then come and whine that conti brands are unreliable.

If you have chosen Merc all along, you wont be whining about conti anymore

tweety_piyo

Reaction score
Hi all, my Civic expiring end of this yr and planning to get a second hand Conti, first one, KIV extend COE if maintenance ok. Don't want to pay the ridiculous down payments and forced loans for a new car
Looking at about 2011:
1. MB C180
2. BMW 320i
3. Audi A4
4. VW scirocco

Not looking at Lexus IS because the 2500cc road tax is frankly not worth paying. And it's ugly. (The pre 2016 IS)

Pros for MB:
Best resale value out of the lot
Average ARF at $38000
Cons:
Most expensive depreciation out of the lot

Pros for BMW:
Cheap depreciation, alot of examples at sgcm for 7000-8500 per annum
Lower ARF than MB... about $35000. Lugi less at renewal

Cons for BMW
Sketchy engine reliability
Dated looks
2L engine road tax adds up with the surcharge for >10 yr old vehicles

Pros for Audi
Best looking out of the trio

Cons for Audi
Worst resale value of the trio

Also kiv scirocco ...
Chio, cheap, small engine, but no badge

Performance not important to me. I'd prefer fuss free motoring. Yes yes, I know Japanese cars are fuss free but I'd like a little more luxury for my daily commute.any thoughts?

consider a W212 E200 or E250, you might be surprised the depreciation between a C180/200 is quite similar to a E250 CGI , both are 1.8L turbo with different state of tune ...road tax still cheap enough to consider renewal

At least that was the case for me when i got my E250 few months ago

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cant blame anyone else but yourself if you want to choose all the unreliable conti brands then come and whine that conti brands are unreliable.

No way! No more used car. Good luck with ur used merc!

teddy_97

Master Member
Reaction score
Would choose the C180. Personally, family owned a 320i and C200 before. The 320i gave a hell lot of problems towards the end of the COE. Merc is a far more reliable and solid car compared to the BMW.

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not so jia lat lah.
Depend on what car u buy.
50% weekends maybe for u, not everyone.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

merc is not immune too. Being a 9 yr alfa owner, i think it's generally ok but it would be better if i had a good old manual. not sure wat went wrong with his fiat and Alfa. have seen ppl own such cars for 20 years and running well.

but ive to agree parts are less robust compared to jap. and the depreciation is steep. just look at toyota how the used market still gets a pretty decent depreciation. The other conti besides merc and bmw all suffer huge losses.

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
merc is not immune too. Being a 9 yr alfa owner, i think it's generally ok but it would be better if i had a good old manual. not sure wat went wrong with his fiat and Alfa. have seen ppl own such cars for 20 years and running well.

but ive to agree parts are less robust compared to jap. and the depreciation is steep. just look at toyota how the used market still gets a pretty decent depreciation. The other conti besides merc and bmw all suffer huge losses.
Awesome for used car buyers though.

It's hilarious how Fiats and Alfas have such a huge initial depreciation and then relatively low annual depreciation as compared to Japanese cars.

It's just that for these kinds of cars (including Peugots and Renaults), you don't expect to throw it at the workshop and be charged the same. You really need to know what you're doing. But most Singaporeans know jack sh!te about their cars and only know how to dump them at the workshops

I've driven 1 Peugeot and 2 Fiats and despite these being the most poorly rated European brands here, it's not been a problem. It's not expensive to fix them. And I certainly don't spend 50% of weekends at the workshop.

If I had the cash, I'd get a Renault Megane RS. Fastest Hot hatch (tied with the Ford Focus RS)

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea tats y pros n cons to getting used conti. Usually the steep depreciation more than offsets the repair costs

I order parts overseas and this helps bring down cost a lot

Awesome for used car buyers though.

It's hilarious how Fiats and Alfas have such a huge initial depreciation and then relatively low annual depreciation as compared to Japanese cars.

It's just that for these kinds of cars (including Peugots and Renaults), you don't expect to throw it at the workshop and be charged the same. You really need to know what you're doing. But most Singaporeans know jack sh!te about their cars and only know how to dump them at the workshops

I've driven 1 Peugeot and 2 Fiats and despite these being the most poorly rated European brands here, it's not been a problem. It's not expensive to fix them. And I certainly don't spend 50% of weekends at the workshop.

If I had the cash, I'd get a Renault Megane RS. Fastest Hot hatch (tied with the Ford Focus RS)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.