Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

lesnar88

Reaction score
I realised Ah Long always looking for young person to do all the dirty works.
Young age person will be sentenced lighter ? :s11:

If AL knows our law well, below 18 or 21 is lighter sentence. But of coz if the trend continues, the law will change. Just takes a bit of time

Bobohuhu

Reaction score
NEWS
Teen charged for setting fire to flat in alleged loanshark harassment act

Yahoo News Singapore10 August 2018, 5:19 AM GMT

A teen who allegedly set fire to a flat in an act related to unlicensed moneylending, causing hurt to another resident who tried to put out the fire, was charged in court on Friday (10 August).

Singaporean Lu Ming Duo, 19, was charged under the Unlicensed Moneylenders Act with one count of unlicensed moneylending harassment by setting fire, causing hurt and damage.

On Wednesday (8 August), around 5pm, Lu is said to have set fire to a flat on the sixth floor of block 401 Jurong West Street 42 by throwing a bottle of thinner at the flat’s door, causing it to catch fire.

According to court documents, Lu committed the act on behalf of a loanshark known only as “Sunny”, and likely was done to cause annoyance to the occupant of the flat, who is apparently related to the debtor.

Upon sensing the fire, Chua Kim Leng, 51, who lives in the flat above, tried to put out the flames. In attempting to do so, he burned his hands before running downstairs to escape the blaze. He was conveyed to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital for his injuries.

The police were alerted to the incident at about 5.17pm.

Lu, who received his charge via video on Friday, was unrepresented. The bespectacled teen was dressed in a white shirt and had his hands cuffed.

The prosecution applied to keep Lu in remand for a week for further investigations, involving tracing the unlicensed moneylending syndicate.

Lu will next appear in court on 17 August. The charge he faces carries a maximum jail term of five years and a fine of between $5,000 and $50,000. If convicted, Lu may also be caned between six and 12 strokes.

In a statement, the police said: “The police have zero tolerance against loanshark harassment activities involving fire. Those who commit such acts of harassment, causing damage and endangering lives of innocent victims will be arrested and dealt with severely in accordance with the with the law.”

Haizzzz. Why? Haizzzz

khunjuno

Reaction score
NEWS
Teen charged for setting fire to flat in alleged loanshark harassment act

Yahoo News Singapore10 August 2018, 5:19 AM GMT

A teen who allegedly set fire to a flat in an act related to unlicensed moneylending, causing hurt to another resident who tried to put out the fire, was charged in court on Friday (10 August).

Singaporean Lu Ming Duo, 19, was charged under the Unlicensed Moneylenders Act with one count of unlicensed moneylending harassment by setting fire, causing hurt and damage.

On Wednesday (8 August), around 5pm, Lu is said to have set fire to a flat on the sixth floor of block 401 Jurong West Street 42 by throwing a bottle of thinner at the flat’s door, causing it to catch fire.

According to court documents, Lu committed the act on behalf of a loanshark known only as “Sunny”, and likely was done to cause annoyance to the occupant of the flat, who is apparently related to the debtor.

Upon sensing the fire, Chua Kim Leng, 51, who lives in the flat above, tried to put out the flames. In attempting to do so, he burned his hands before running downstairs to escape the blaze. He was conveyed to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital for his injuries.

The police were alerted to the incident at about 5.17pm.

Lu, who received his charge via video on Friday, was unrepresented. The bespectacled teen was dressed in a white shirt and had his hands cuffed.

The prosecution applied to keep Lu in remand for a week for further investigations, involving tracing the unlicensed moneylending syndicate.

Lu will next appear in court on 17 August. The charge he faces carries a maximum jail term of five years and a fine of between $5,000 and $50,000. If convicted, Lu may also be caned between six and 12 strokes.

In a statement, the police said: “The police have zero tolerance against loanshark harassment activities involving fire. Those who commit such acts of harassment, causing damage and endangering lives of innocent victims will be arrested and dealt with severely in accordance with the with the law.”

Haizzzz. Why? Haizzzz

Hope the law doesn't go lenient on him. Many of such runners claim to be debtors themselves who are "forced" into working for the AL. Let's make things clear. The AL never "force" them to do anything. They have just been sucked into believing that these faceless AL have any sort of real control of the debtors. If they allow someone to do all sorts of things just because of a few harsh words and shouting, they deserve to be sitting inside jail and have their butts split open.

I hope he gets a good few strokes of the cane even if he's just 19.

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
So my friend only came to his bloody senses and decided to stop feeding those bloodsuckers.

Also installed CCTV and lodged police report. He told me he still worried at night or mid afternoon. He got a CCTV ehich detects any motion activity and straight away record and sent alerts to his phone. But what he gained back are few nights of sleep and decided to brave through whatever they want to do or send people up.

He owe about $8k and 8 AL. He have read and been incognito while reading on some of the advices here. He paid so much close to 20k and forever never able to pay off. So he woke up already and rather face the whole shít than no money and still owe them money.

So stop funding those bloodsuckers. You pay to buy peace only. They will never stop.

Sent from Sometimes A.K.A Jimmy using GAGT

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
His sentence will confirm be very long amd heavy. 19 or not, for few hundreds, he could kill someone with his reckless acts. I hope he tio heavy charges and lock in for a long time. This one if i am not wrong, 5 years and above one.
Hope the law doesn't go lenient on him. Many of such runners claim to be debtors themselves who are "forced" into working for the AL. Let's make things clear. The AL never "force" them to do anything. They have just been sucked into believing that these faceless AL have any sort of real control of the debtors. If they allow someone to do all sorts of things just because of a few harsh words and shouting, they deserve to be sitting inside jail and have their butts split open.

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
38813805_1835184403217611_7506682636664832000_o.jpg
Bump this. Let all the youngsters and runners see. Chao AL don't have guts to do it themselves and send stupid scapegoats to do the job. And in the end, all these dumb farks kennah. Post big big for them to see. Few hundreds to buy their way to prison. Serve them right.

khunjuno

Reaction score
So my friend only came to his bloody senses and decided to stop feeding those bloodsuckers.

Also installed CCTV and lodged police report. He told me he still worried at night or mid afternoon. He got a CCTV ehich detects any motion activity and straight away record and sent alerts to his phone. But what he gained back are few nights of sleep and decided to brave through whatever they want to do or send people up.

He owe about $8k and 8 AL. He have read and been incognito while reading on some of the advices here. He paid so much close to 20k and forever never able to pay off. So he woke up already and rather face the whole shít than no money and still owe them money.

So stop funding those bloodsuckers. You pay to buy peace only. They will never stop.

Good on your friend. Now just need to endure the harassment that will happen on and off and go back to living his life. He can do it one, just don't relapse and scare himself

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
Good on your friend. Now just need to endure the harassment that will happen on and off and go back to living his life. He can do it one, just don't relapse and scare himself
He scared of harassment. But I told him if he keep paying them and end up with more accumulative debts also back to square 1. Don't pay those AL and at least he can have some money for himself and family.

He now more stable and calm in his thinking. At first he was panicked and will not listen to anything cos his mind too messed up and freaked out over those unnecessary worries.

cw3007

Reaction score
He scared of harassment. But I told him if he keep paying them and end up with more accumulative debts also back to square 1. Don't pay those AL and at least he can have some money for himself and family.

He now more stable and calm in his thinking. At first he was panicked and will not listen to anything cos his mind too messed up and freaked out over those unnecessary worries.

You more brave then him.

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
You more brave then him.
I am not the one borrow so I have nothing to worry. Just that i happened to see this forum and I keep telling him to come and read on everyone's past experience and advices. He didn't want to heed my advice at first until paid for few more weeks and he cannot tahan. Now then invested on a good CCTV and he can at least sleep peacefully.

Sharuu

Reaction score

It's a bit rich to hope that a 19 year old gets mutilated for life when we were the ones who allowed this to happen in the first place.

Loan sharks also "never force us to do anything". We were also "sucked into believing that these faceless AL have any sort of real control" over us and yet we continued to fund their illegal activities.

The law categorically refers to such acts of vandalism and arson as "unlicensed moneylending harassment" instead of the individual offences because it implies that for the harassment to take place, something else (illegal borrowing) must have happened before. Just because the borrower isn't charged doesn't mean they're innocent little angels and should be protected from errant teenagers.

Most likely, there will be an enthusiastic young lawyer willing to represent him who will tell the court that his mother is ill or he has depression or is remorseful or is a good student and he will get off with a fine and community service. Personally, I'm happy with that status quo because all it takes is one person higher up to lose his sh!t and decide that they've had enough of this nonsense, review the law and make everyone culpable of an offence. Then all of us will also kena jail or fined (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but can you imagine all that paperwork?!).

P.S. I don't know the sentence for mischief by arson, if there's such a thing, but I'm like 70% sure it's more harsh than UML harassment.

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
So day 3 of my friend's awaken moments and stopped paying those AL. He told me they keep calling his phone and created whatsapp group with NOK. So all numbers are changed except for his. Told me he can at least know what they are up to. So good idea or bad idea on keeping his current phone number?

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Loan shark runner jailed for ferrying $701,000 to Malaysia

Deputy Public Prosecutor Kenneth Kee said that Ong started borrowing money from a loan shark, who operated under the name Tristan, when he was facing financial difficulties in 2012.

Ong borrowed money from Tristan several times up to 2015 when he was no longer able to repay his debts. In mid-2015, Tristan approached Ong and asked if he wanted to work as a runner for the syndicate.

Ong was told that his total debt would be capped at $36,000 without further interest being charged, and he would also be given a monthly salary of $3,000.

Ong agreed to work for Tristan and did so until his arrest on March 25 last year. He managed to earn about $63,000 while working for the syndicate, the court heard.

DPP Kee said that Ong's job was to meet other runners in Singapore to collect various sums of monies. He was also told to travel to Malaysia after collecting the cash.

It show that those so called loan shark are from Malaysia.
That's why they don't dare to come out meet you when you jio them to meet up.
Go to jail is Singaporean and not those Malaysian loan shark.
Hope Singaporean wise up.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...runner-jailed-for-ferrying-701000-to-malaysia

khunjuno

Reaction score
So day 3 of my friend's awaken moments and stopped paying those AL. He told me they keep calling his phone and created whatsapp group with NOK. So all numbers are changed except for his. Told me he can at least know what they are up to. So good idea or bad idea on keeping his current phone number?

If he can tahan reading their messages, and legit wants to know what they are up to (although I am not clear what he can do with that information), then by all means, keep his current phone number.

If he cannot tahan reading their messages and would rather have a peaceful life and a phone that doesn't ring 24/7, then just change his number.

cw3007

Reaction score

Block n block. No need to read their message. Why want to effect yr daily with nonense message. Why u need to know what is their next move? The best is change number.

Jamie aka Ashley Ng

Reaction score
Block n block. No need to read their message. Why want to effect yr daily with nonense message. Why u need to know what is their next move? The best is change number.
I would think he might be paranoid. After all, took him a long time to finally not pay those AL. Now his CCTV will send alert whenever there is motion detected.

Frankly I agreed with you to change his number and once and for all, no disturbance. Slowly let him overcome this bah. He paid 20k over and now he decided not to pay. Considered he woke up abit and taking baby steps lah.

Aphazel

Reaction score
For lml, can go to silver lining for help. They will help you nego with them for a monthly repayment schedule. But be prepare that the lml will slap the max permitted amount of late charges. Iirc, it is 50% of the principle amount. Also, they are not obliged to agree with the payment schedule but will usually agree to it since they know this is the fastest way they can their money back vs the legal route.

I am thinking of seeking help from silverlining as cant cope with my payments really like ah long sucking my weekly earnings till cant spend on my kids and their daily school expenditures. Seek advise for drs but the Fees i cant afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.