Defect new acer swift 5

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a new swift 5 on this tues. Found out few defects.

1) can hear noise coming from the keyboard, like static sound. Confirm its not fan sound.

2) after 2 days of usage, the paint on the top of the lip starts to peel. Very lousy paint job.

Intending to go down jurong to have it check. Do you think they will do anything? Or what can I do?

Please advise me bro.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you going down to the shop or service center?

If going down to service center then let them do what they do. Shop wise not sure but should the same as service center.

But u can do your backup your data and take pictures of the paint job.

zhtan10

Banned
Reaction score
Got a new swift 5 on this tues. Found out few defects.

1) can hear noise coming from the keyboard, like static sound. Confirm its not fan sound.

2) after 2 days of usage, the paint on the top of the lip starts to peel. Very lousy paint job.

Intending to go down jurong to have it check. Do you think they will do anything? Or what can I do?

Please advise me bro.

Can also try to go back to shop and ask for exchange?

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought it from Qoo10 acer offical store. Requested for a 1-1 exchange.

2nd time to the store. Damn DL.

Will need to see their mood if they will exchange or repair, even though it's within 7 days

Can also try to go back to shop and ask for exchange?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Will need to see their mood if they will exchange or repair, even though it's within 7 days

LOLOL :s13:

maybe its the last time u buying from them lei :s22:

bunnypangsai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
See whether you can return and get a refund, then do another order?

obichacha

Reaction score
Why bought from Q10?

Harvey Norman can exchange within 7 days, if your warranty still didn't register yet.

Otherwise you may bring back to Acer service center in Jurong east.

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Q10 was selling at 1798 n there's a 150 discount with coupons. I paid 1648 eventually, for i7, free office home edition, Bluetooth mouse, acer sleeve, 3yrs anti virus.

Good deal.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So what is the outcome of the issues with your Acer laptop?

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just like to share on my experience for acer swift 5 and acer service center.

Managed to change a new laptop with acer. Same model n colour. Unfortunately, when I brought back home and play with it, the static sound returns on the new laptop.

Also need to work on some presentation, I had no choice but to continue using it. I brought it back recently, last week for servicing. Front desk heard the sound n agreed that they too heard the static buzzing sound.

This week, got a call from acer, the tech guy, who was very good BTW, good in customer service and very understanding. He said acer Taiwan mention that the static buzzing sound is common issue and the acceptable range is 30-40 decibels. So I was like common issues doesn't mean its acceptable. I dont see my 7 years old macbook air having this issue, I don't see my lenovo laptop, ssd has this issue. I don't see any of my gadget has this static buzzing sound issue.

The technician agreed and he offered me another replacement of new set. But if the sound still persists, they can't do anything else n I need to accept the problem. So I requested for full refund instead n they agreed after one day.

Conclusion: the service center is kind of customer oriented. Totally unexpected outcome. The laptop is light, touchscreen n cost less than 1.7k. Good budget for these specs. But too bad, I can't stand the static buzzing sound. I would surly get a laptop with a onsite service next. Save all the hassle in travelling.

Anyone has any recommendations of a similar laptop? Thanks for reading.

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about HP envy ah0035 or ah0050? Think it's going about 1.7k too. But no precision touchpad.

Otherwise, Lenovo IdeaPad 720s 13, but some people complain about fan noise (I find it ok and it's real value for money with TB3 at that price point).

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. Will check it out. Looking at

1) less than 1.2kg
2) 13-14"
3) touch screen
4) 512ssd
5) fingerprint scan
6) around $1.7k will be good

How about HP envy ah0035 or ah0050? Think it's going about 1.7k too. But no precision touchpad.

Otherwise, Lenovo IdeaPad 720s 13, but some people complain about fan noise (I find it ok and it's real value for money with TB3 at that price point).

narkizy

Reaction score
Thanks man. Will check it out. Looking at

1) less than 1.2kg
2) 13-14"
3) touch screen
4) 512ssd
5) fingerprint scan
6) around $1.7k will be good

Aftershock P-14. 1.4k for i7-8550u, 512gb SSD, has thunderbolt 3 port. Cheaper than any of the laptops listed here by the other users.

0.7in thin, 1.3kg light. Build quality is comparable/better than the other budget ultrabooks listed here. Only lacking point is no touchscreen.

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow. Worth considering. Its even better yen Asus zenbook.. How's aftershock after sales service like?

narkizy

Reaction score
Wow. Worth considering. Its even better yen Asus zenbook.. How's aftershock after sales service like?

I cant say for the rest, but till now Aftershock's service for me has been really good. AS Service is definitely alot faster than other brands as with Aftershock you'd get to talk directly with the technicians themselves, not like Acer or other brands where you only usually can talk to the receptionist.

I can go down to Aftershock HQ, and no matter how crowded can have a tech looking over my laptop with me within the hour or less. I had to do so a few times to check the fans/normal servicing/colour calibration. No need to wait for service center to call a tech or send out the unit to a factory elsewhere.

The main diff basically is the speed by which you can get your problems attended to, and my personal stand is the AS techs are extremely helpful and genuine ppl(based on my experience). Offers a more personal touch compared to the major brands imo.

Last edited:

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Hp envy x360 Ryzen (Harvey Norman exclusive) or LG gram if you want something as light as the Acer.

narkizy

Reaction score
Hp envy x360 Ryzen (Harvey Norman exclusive) or LG gram if you want something as light as the Acer.

Both are extremely overpriced and way beyond TS's budget rofl. The x360 with similar specs as a P-14 is 2.7k SGD. Might as well get a XPS13 alr.

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Both are extremely overpriced and way beyond TS's budget rofl. The x360 with similar specs as a P-14 is 2.7k SGD. Might as well get a XPS13 alr.

Where are you finding envy x360 Ryzen for 2.7k SGD?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.