Need some help, at a crossroad

ClearlyCryptic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like some thoughts and advice.

I'm 20 this year and I spent 2 years in ITE after completing 'N' Levels (I was in the DPP Programme) and graduated with a Higher Nitec in Events Management in 2017. Following which, I decided to follow my interests and enrolled in LASALLE's Diploma in Broadcast Media.(I tried for FSV in NP thru EAE but didn't make the cut)

However, few months into the first year of the course, I found myself struggling to cope with the modules as they were all foundation art modules. ie. figure drawing, acrylic paint colour mixing and matching, sculpture making. I myself am not an artistic person so my skills aren't there. (TL;DR, I couldn't cope with life in LASALLE.)

Anyways, one day I thought about my future and since Sec 4 (if i recall), I wanted to serve in the SPF. So as of now, I am wondering should I:

1. Drop out from LASALLE, sign on to the SPF and take up a part time diploma?

2. Drop out from LASALLE, apply for a place in a local poly, work hard for a Home Team Diploma Sponsorship (pays my school fees and secures me a job in SPF)

I'm sure most ppl would want be to complete my studies but to be frank, I feel wary of taking full time studies.
Probs from the bad experience I had in LASALLE but I feel I probs need some regimentation to learn to be more responsible.

So, what are your thoughts?

If there are any SPF Regulars, JPOs esp, I would greatly love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance!

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you thought of diploma in audio visual technology? Diploma in sonic arts? Those are courses on Audio Visual Lighting, sound engineering, professional light and sound.

After completing poly, i think my interest lies in the event management n audio visual tech. Those two quite useful. Can earn a living one. Regret didnt go there

Sent from Your Favourite Non-Biting Talking Pillow using GAGT

ClearlyCryptic

Reaction score
Have you thought of diploma in audio visual technology? Diploma in sonic arts? Those are courses on Audio Visual Lighting, sound engineering, professional light and sound.

After completing poly, i think my interest lies in the event management n audio visual tech. Those two quite useful. Can earn a living one. Regret didnt go there

Sent from Your Favourite Non-Biting Talking Pillow using GAGT

It would be nice to go into those courses but because my ITE Cert is Business linked, I most of the courses I can go into are Business courses and my GPA of 2.7 isn't good enough to get me into most of the courses.

Its either I didn't meet the min GPA (3.0) or the average JPAE intake for the course is way above my GPA (3.0-3.9)

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never think of getting a Sponsorship while serving as part of your plan for signing on. I only heard a very small number of servicemen who can 'jump queue' and get it within their 5 years but majorly did not get it.

Never think of studying part time while serving as part of your plan. I have help my classmates who are serving in SPF to sign class attendance for them to meet the requirement to attend exam. Sometime they are also unable to make it for exam and submission of assignments and have to defer it. They may have problem for attendance if school require to punch card for attendance.

This is because you will work around 14 - 18 hours unofficially during normal shift working hours (Official 12 hours timing. Eg: 8am - 8pm but report around 7am for drawing armed and briefing). You also still needs to attend grassroots activities like events and crime prevention within your charge outside your working hours. The best part that fall outside your working hours will be ambush to arrest suspect where there is no ending time (cause suspect may not turn up and depend on the in charge to call off the operation) for you to manage your time but you still needs to report to work on time the next day. These are the reason why it is hard to study part time.

So if you think you cannot graduated with a LASALLE's Diploma, don't waste your time and just sign on as SGT 1 (Wages: $1,820 - $2,170) cause Diploma only help you to sign on at SGT 2 (Wages: $1,970 - $2,620) but salary around the same (and the worst is around $450 different for starting salary).

There are a lot of servicemen who sign on as SGT 2 but did not promote to SGT 3 (used to known as SSGT) after 5, 8 or even 10 years of service. You may still a SGT after you left the force, so don't needs to think about career advancement. If you are really a performer, you will make it to A/Insp scheme or normal scheme from SI to Insp.

Hi all,

I would like some thoughts and advice.

I'm 20 this year and I spent 2 years in ITE after completing 'N' Levels (I was in the DPP Programme) and graduated with a Higher Nitec in Events Management in 2017. Following which, I decided to follow my interests and enrolled in LASALLE's Diploma in Broadcast Media.(I tried for FSV in NP thru EAE but didn't make the cut)

However, few months into the first year of the course, I found myself struggling to cope with the modules as they were all foundation art modules. ie. figure drawing, acrylic paint colour mixing and matching, sculpture making. I myself am not an artistic person so my skills aren't there. (TL;DR, I couldn't cope with life in LASALLE.)

Anyways, one day I thought about my future and since Sec 4 (if i recall), I wanted to serve in the SPF. So as of now, I am wondering should I:

1. Drop out from LASALLE, sign on to the SPF and take up a part time diploma?

2. Drop out from LASALLE, apply for a place in a local poly, work hard for a Home Team Diploma Sponsorship (pays my school fees and secures me a job in SPF)

I'm sure most ppl would want be to complete my studies but to be frank, I feel wary of taking full time studies.
Probs from the bad experience I had in LASALLE but I feel I probs need some regimentation to learn to be more responsible.

So, what are your thoughts?

If there are any SPF Regulars, JPOs esp, I would greatly love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance!

ClearlyCryptic

Reaction score
If you are really a performer, you will make it to A/Insp scheme or normal scheme from SI to Insp.

What is the difference between an A/Insp and Insp? I've seen other letters infront of other ranks like W/SGT.

What does it mean?

Other than that, I really appreciate your insight. Puts a lot of what is happening in perspective. Thank you. :)

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A/Insp (Acting Inspector) Scheme: It mean you can be any rank (SGT 1 to SI) holding your actual rank wages (Eg: SGT 1) but wearing Insp epaulettes and sign off as A/Insp ClearlyCryptic. Due to your A/Insp, you have the same power to hold Insp appointment like Team Leader (TL). Once you are able to perform, SPF will sent you to C course (A course shorter than OCT) where you will pass out as a P/Insp. If you cannot perform as A/Insp, you just go back to your actual rank like SGT 1 and carry on the normal Police Officer career path (SGT1 -> SGT2 -> SGT3 -> SSSGT -> SI -> Insp).

In short, A/Insp is just an acting rank. Probationary Inspector (P/Insp) or Probationary Assistant Superintendent of Police (P/ASP) is just a Senior Officer who is serving his probation period (1 year) as a new staff and after that he will be promoted to Insp1 (Inspector 1) or ASP1 accordingly. Most of them will not write their grade which is the reason why they will just put Insp (Inspector).

W/SGT = Woman / Sergeant. W/SO = Woman / Security Officer. A term used by SPF & Security Industry to determine if the person is a woman.

For SC / SGT = Special Constabulary / Sergeant. All SC are NSF.

What is the difference between an A/Insp and Insp? I've seen other letters infront of other ranks like W/SGT.

What does it mean?

Other than that, I really appreciate your insight. Puts a lot of what is happening in perspective. Thank you. :)

ClearlyCryptic

Reaction score
A/Insp (Acting Inspector) Scheme: It mean you can be any rank (SGT 1 to SI) holding your actual rank wages (Eg: SGT 1) but wearing Insp epaulettes and sign off as A/Insp ClearlyCryptic. Due to your A/Insp, you have the same power to hold Insp appointment like Team Leader (TL). Once you are able to perform, SPF will sent you to C course (A course shorter than OCT) where you will pass out as a P/Insp.

So does this mean that through this scheme, a good performing officer need not have a degree to be an Insp?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In short, there are 3 ways to become an Insp.

1) Normal Police Officer career path (SGT1 -> SGT2 -> SGT3 -> SSSGT -> SI -> Insp)

2) A/Insp

3) Normal Senior Police Officer career path (OCT -> P/Insp -> Insp)

To answer your question, the answer is yes.

However few will get the opportunity to be recommended for A/Insp scheme. To add on, you may get promoted and retired as A/Insp with your actual rank (Eg: SGT2) and never be promoted as Insp because you are not a performer at that level but you still needs to carry on to do the saikang as A/Insp.

Most will end up under Normal Police Officer career path but never become an Insp and end up retire as SSGT (SGT3), SSSGT or SI.

So the best way is always to get a Degree and directly become an Insp under Senior Officer Scheme.

So does this mean that through this scheme, a good performing officer need not have a degree to be an Insp?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.