The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Kcusts

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes it is different, the white/transparent one portrudes more thus pushing the frame further from your face as compared to the other black one. I doubt they will be able to fit, I just called Oakley and they said no as the pin size is different.. but depending also on which model you are talking about. But I highly doubt it can fit....
Please Correct me if I am wrong. If not head down to your usual optical shop and they should be able to get you replacement parts at a small cost

Thank you very much for the confirmation!! Really appreciate it!! Are you a retailer? I want to get the Asian size white nose pad from you if you have it. You can PM me the place and price if you are not allowed to do it openly. :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I think you mean Cyl which also stands for cylinderical power or astigmatism. It should be a -ve. Your +50 probably is SPH power which is your spherical power=myopia(-) or hyperopia(+). If your cyl is + it could be that a process called transposition is not done yet. But most or all optical shops usually transpose the value before letting their customers know.

in the prescription, CYC should be +ve or -ve values?

just realised mine new prescription is +50 whereas the old one was -50,
which is correct :s11:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Can I check whether Did you purchase your oakleys online? Or from a regular optical shop?

Thank you very much for the confirmation!! Really appreciate it!! Are you a retailer? I want to get the Asian size white nose pad from you if you have it. You can PM me the place and price if you are not allowed to do it openly. :)

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you mean Cyl which also stands for cylinderical power or astigmatism. It should be a -ve. Your +50 probably is SPH power which is your spherical power=myopia(-) or hyperopia(+). If your cyl is + it could be that a process called transposition is not done yet. But most or all optical shops usually transpose the value before letting their customers know.

thanks

my SPH is -1.50-1.75 for as long as I can remember

Cyl all along -0.50, but axis do change a little over time
surprised to see a +0.50 this time, hope there is no mistake, I don't want to end up cock eye :s22: :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the prescription? Is the +50 part of presbyopia? Or maybe some anti fatigue power? Because from -1.50/-1.75 to +50 in a period of 1-2 years is not really common..

thanks

my SPH is -1.50-1.75 for as long as I can remember

Cyl all along -0.50, but axis do change a little over time
surprised to see a +0.50 this time, hope there is no mistake, I don't want to end up cock eye :s22: :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It won’t be an issue for me helping you get the replacement. But any reason why you did not go back to that shop? Is it still under warranty? If yes, the shop might be able to waive off the cost of it too.

I got it locally from a regular shop.

Kcusts

Master Member
Reaction score
It won’t be an issue for me helping you get the replacement. But any reason why you did not go back to that shop? Is it still under warranty? If yes, the shop might be able to waive off the cost of it too.

No particular reason. :o How long is the standard warranty? 2 years? Not sure if the warranty can be claimed at the shop or have to be at the service center? I don't want make a trip to the shop and then be told to go somewhere else.

My initial intention is to change the nose pad to black, don't really like white cause it will eventually become yellowish, black can last longer? Since that is not possible, guess I will have to get a new white pair. By the way, what is the "standard" price for a pair of nose pad?

shannen

Reaction score
I can help you to check if the supplier still has stock for this nosepad and how much will it cost to get a pair of replacement.

Is that alright?

Hi GANGSTERKIA, no worries, just drop me a pm or I'll check this thread and I'll drop by to collect if you are able to get it. Thanks for your help.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Right now it’s one year on manufacturing defects and on the rubber sock at the back. If I rmb correct it’s 15 dollar. Must check again😅

No particular reason. :o How long is the standard warranty? 2 years? Not sure if the warranty can be claimed at the shop or have to be at the service center? I don't want make a trip to the shop and then be told to go somewhere else.

My initial intention is to change the nose pad to black, don't really like white cause it will eventually become yellowish, black can last longer? Since that is not possible, guess I will have to get a new white pair. By the way, what is the "standard" price for a pair of nose pad?

Kcusts

Master Member
Reaction score
Right now it’s one year on manufacturing defects and on the rubber sock at the back. If I rmb correct it’s 15 dollar. Must check again😅

Thank you very much for all your help. You will definitely be the 1st person I approach for all my future glasses needs.

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the prescription? Is the +50 part of presbyopia? Or maybe some anti fatigue power? Because from -1.50/-1.75 to +50 in a period of 1-2 years is not really common..

no picture
will ask for a copy of the prescription when I collect my specs next week

another question: what are intermediate distance lens used for computer work? how do they work ?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
no picture
will ask for a copy of the prescription when I collect my specs next week

another question: what are intermediate distance lens used for computer work? how do they work ?

Those are lenses meant for computer distance depending on your habitual habit. Usually its an arms length away, But that are other factors that affect the degree that is supposed to be prescribed. E.g. even though its one arm lengths away, some individuals like to lean/rest back more thus the power will be different too, some like to sit straight and come closer to the screen at times thus all these habits have to be let known to the Optom/Optician(though we usually will ask you guys about this)

An office lens has 2 viewing area, the top area is more for intermediate/room distance kind of degree, while the lower area is adjusted for reading thus when you are in an office you can consider using that. You can also walk *short* distance with it but not too long as it's still meant for a sitting down position kind of glasses.

Finally a progressive which is what most of us are familiar with. Top for distance, middle for intermediate and bottom for reading. But for a progressive the intermediate zone is still limited thus IF you do not need a glasses to see distance/far by natural but need to use a glasses for near/computer i would advise you against a progressive and use a office lens instead. Or else you will find yourself still needed to tilt your chin up when you are using a desktop. Laptop still will be fine!

Hope this helps for now!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Might be cheaper but servicing-wise....?

OP I believe around 400-700. Made In Italy models are cheaper whereas the vintage made in japan ones are more costly. Prices subject to shop pricing...

What is the price like for OP in Singapore? Is it a lot cheaper to buy online?

DaFeiLong

Reaction score
Hi all,
Due to worsening myopia, I will need to change my lenses on my Silhouette rimless frame. Can anyone advise on where I can change my lenses?

Thanks
SK

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Due to worsening myopia, I will need to change my lenses on my Silhouette rimless frame. Can anyone advise on where I can change my lenses?

Thanks
SK

Hi DaFeiLong, where do you usually change your lenses/get glasses fitted at? Is there a preferred location you would like to do it at? Generally, you can do it at any optical shop. If you need some recommendations on somewhere convenient i can try suggesting :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks
SK

Do also take note to go to an optical shop that sells silhouette as the clip used to hold the lenses for silhouette rimless is different from the other brands of frameless too! They have the Soft ones and the hard ones for low and high power respectively. Normal ones will not fit as well.

DaFeiLong

Reaction score
the gardens3b,
I changed my lenses about 5 years ago at Kwong Shin near Bras Basah. I don't have a preferred location but I am worried if the frame may snap when it is not handled properly.

gangsterkia,
Do you have any recommendations on the optical shop and also the type of lenses i should get?
I am hopping to get something light so that the spectacles do not slide down my nose bridge.

Thanks, everyone

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there any location that is convenient/preferred for you?

the gardens3b,
I changed my lenses about 5 years ago at Kwong Shin near Bras Basah. I don't have a preferred location but I am worried if the frame may snap when it is not handled properly.

gangsterkia,
Do you have any recommendations on the optical shop and also the type of lenses i should get?
I am hopping to get something light so that the spectacles do not slide down my nose bridge.

Thanks, everyone

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.