*Official* BBCWatcher club

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So I presume parking the money in my multiplier for the 3 years is the best course of action?
You're describing something different now. Are you going to take the loan, park all the funds somewhere for 3 years, then repay the loan? Or are you going to take the loan, use it, and try to save $X/month? Those are two very different scenarios.

Edwardtzy

Reaction score
You're describing something different now. Are you going to take the loan, park all the funds somewhere for 3 years, then repay the loan? Or are you going to take the loan, use it, and try to save $X/month? Those are two very different scenarios.

Hi, I'm referring to the former.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm referring to the former.
OK, in that case the Singapore Savings Bond beats DBS rather solidly since it's a sure bet. When you buy the SSB, the interest is guaranteed. You might have a slight difficulty placing the full amount into the SSB in one go due to oversubscription, but it shouldn't take any longer than two months.

For a non-guaranteed rate (direct competitor to DBS Multiplier), Citibank's MaxiGain account would be expected to do better. Currently the interest rate starts at 1.31%, but then (at equal SIBOR rates) it'd rise to 2.41% by the 12th month. So that should beat 1.85%...unless Citibank changes the rules, which is the same problem with DBS.

If your timing is simply lucky, an insurance company might offer a 3 year endowment plan. Great Eastern had one, briefly, that was 2.2%/year for 3 years ("GREAT 220"). Keep an eye out for that.

....Anybody have any better ideas?

Reaction score
Hi BBC,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

That's typically why you'd have a U.S. bank account (or U.S. credit union account), to receive U.S. dollar payments, such as a (legal) salary, commission, royalty, rental payment, etc.

Another possible reason is to pay bills in the U.S., such as rental payments, especially to billers that don't accept credit card payments. Most U.S. bank and U.S. credit union accounts include a "Bill Pay" online service, which is often free. That'll either electronically or via paper check/postage send U.S. dollar payments domestically. You can even use Bill Pay to send a payment to yourself, such as to make a U.S. dollar deposit to your U.S. brokerage account.

There's also greater safety in U.S. accounts for U.S. dollars, because they are FDIC (or NCUA) insured up to US$250,000, with higher limits possible with modest effort. There is absolutely zero deposit insurance for any non-Singapore dollar funds held at banks in Singapore. A deposit at a state chartered savings bank in Massachusetts (not Bank of America) has that U.S. federal government deposit insurance plus unlimited state deposit insurance, too.

Bank of America isn't a great bank in terms of its products' value, for the record.

vegavega25

Reaction score
Is this a good legitimate way to transfer personal US$ funds from a bank account in the US to a US$ bank account in Singapore?

Why would you ever want to do that? The safety decreases (no deposit insurance), and the costs go up (bank fees, etc.) What am I missing?

For one, I don't factor the insurance into my calculations. It would take a cataclysmic event for a bank to fail in Singapore, and there would be enough signs along the way seeing which I would move the money in a jiffy. On the other hand, I am less confident about US banks, except for the ones 'too big to fail', where the interest rates are not very attractive.

I agree that there is a cost involved in bringing the money over to Singapore. I do not have a Citibank account in Singapore. Which is why I am wondering if the Transferwise borderless account is a fairly low-cost way to do it. Sending the US$ back to the US is free.

The advantage as I see it is having the money here, with me in Singapore where I now live, still available to use as US$ if I need to, outside the remit of IRS and your own 'asset seizure' possibilities (remote, but nonetheless). Until now I hadn't thought of doing so but the interest rates on forex deposits here are decent enough.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it is much more efficient to convert it to SGD and keep it in SG. Why do you want to keep it in USD, unless you are speculating about the FX rates? If you need USD to spend, you can do the conversion just in time, use credit cards or one of the multicurrency accounts.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

PROblemz

Reaction score
Hi BBW, been following your post on ST thread and would like to seek your opinion. Am following advice to buy ES3 for etf. However for bond, I have yet to commit any money to it. ST has advised ABF but would it be better to go for SSB or SGB over ABF? I don seem to be able to find a good explanation on how to play the SSB game as I read that there are people who plan to liquidate before bond expires, but I don understand why. Possible to explain using a super layman manner? Thanks for your time!

makav31i

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi BBW, been following your post on ST thread and would like to seek your opinion. Am following advice to buy ES3 for etf. However for bond, I have yet to commit any money to it. ST has advised ABF but would it be better to go for SSB or SGB over ABF? I don seem to be able to find a good explanation on how to play the SSB game as I read that there are people who plan to liquidate before bond expires, but I don understand why. Possible to explain using a super layman manner? Thanks for your time!

With SSB, it is guaranteed by the Singapore Government so it is Capital Protected...With ABF, it is an ETF which follows the same price movement like any stocks listed depending on the demand and supply...

Some people decide to liquidate their SSB before the bond expiry probably because a newer issue of SSB have a higher yield...SSB is issued monthly, so that is one of the reason why people sell away to buy a higher yielding interest...

Also you just need to pay $2 fee for SSB regardless of how much you are allocated...

Last edited:

Han Shot First

Reaction score
MAS announced the auction of Singapore Government Securities (SGS) for NY05100N. The coupon rate is 3.25%. The remaining tenor is approximately 2 years. The announcement says, as an illustration, the bond is currently yielding about 1.92% per year, based on end-of-day prices as at 20 Aug 2018.

I was wondering whether if it is wise to assign some capital to apply for NY05100N and have it as part of the bond portion of one's investment portfolio. I think an attractive part is that one needs to wait only for 2 years till maturity. How do I evaluate if it is sensible to apply?

I am accumulating SSBs and have CPF as part of my bond portion of my investment portfolio. Or is it better to use that capital to buy MBH ETF and/or CORP ETF?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether if it is wise to assign some capital to apply for NY05100N and have it as part of the bond portion of one's investment portfolio. I think an attractive part is that one needs to wait only for 2 years till maturity. How do I evaluate if it is sensible to apply?
If you are highly likely to hold the bond to maturity, and if you're looking for the safest place to park Singapore dollar funds that you plan to deploy in some fashion at or shortly after maturity -- to make a down payment on a home, a repayment of an interest-deferred student loan, a wedding, a tuition payment, etc. -- then it's a great choice.

Or is it better to use that capital to buy MBH ETF and/or CORP ETF?
MBH, which debuts on August 27, 2018, looks like it'll be the best "general purpose" Singapore dollar bond fund. (Insert my criticism of the fund's inaccurate name here.) CORP is a little more specialized for those who reside in Singapore and who plan to retire in Singapore, and it's generally not something you'd pursue as you're starting out -- I agree with Shiny Things on that.

For most Singapore resident/to retire in Singapore people, a mix of SSBs, CPF, and MBH is a good fit for the bond holdings. But just be careful you're not overdoing the bond/bond-like holdings during your accumulation phase.

Han Shot First

Reaction score
Does it mean that NY05100N current yield of about 1.92% per year (if held till maturity) is equivalent to a 24 month fixed deposit of 1.92% pa?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it mean that NY05100N current yield of about 1.92% per year (if held till maturity) is equivalent to a 24 month fixed deposit of 1.92% pa?
Roughly comparable, if the fixed deposit were entirely within government deposit insurance limits. This bond pays coupons semiannually, though, which is unlike a 2 year fixed deposit. You can spend or invest the coupons, of course. The estimated 1.92% yield -- the exact yield will be determined at auction -- does not include investment gains from coupon reinvestment. So it's a bit better yield than a hypothetically 1.92% two year fixed deposit. Also, a fixed deposit might allow you to withdraw principal (but without paying any interest) if you try to call off the deal before the end of the term. A bond can be sold before maturity on the secondary market, but there's no guarantee you'll get a particular price from the secondary market that you might want.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The advantage as I see it is having the money here, with me in Singapore where I now live, still available to use as US$ if I need to, outside the remit of IRS and your own 'asset seizure' possibilities (remote, but nonetheless). Until now I hadn't thought of doing so but the interest rates on forex deposits here are decent enough.

Erm, mate, those dollars are ultimately in your Singaporean bank's nostro account at a US bank, or their clearing account at the Fed, and that means they're in US jurisdiction.

TBQH mate you're wrong. If you want to hold dollars, holding them at a Singapore bank is always worse. The interest rates are worse. The deposit insurance is worse. And why on earth are you worried about an IRS seizure scenario? Don't dodge US taxes in the first place!

vegavega25

Reaction score
To be clear, there is simply nothing even remotely fishy about the source of this money, and there is no dodging US taxes or such. I pay US taxes in full every year. I was simply referring to BBC's point about asset seizure which he has cited several times in conversations devoid of any reference to why the US government would be interested in seizing the money: "it is a real thing, look it up". I was simply recreating his name-dropping civil forfeiture.

Fundamentally I am not sure why US$ deposits in Singapore are held to a different standard than S$ deposits in excess of S$50K in terms of how important deposit insurance coverage (suddenly) is. What about all the deposits in Singapore bank accounts in excess of S$50K, which is the measly SDIC limit here? If deposit insurance were such a critical decision variable, then surely you would recommend that nobody should maintain a single dollar in excess of S$50K in any one bank account.

From an insurance point of view, somebody with a S$80K bank account balance is no different from me with S$50K and US$20K in my account. Forget a dollar, for every substantial sum of money in excess of S$50K, one should open a different account so that it is fully insured by SDIC. But you're not suggesting that, are you?

Is this fetish with deposit insurance a Singapore thing? Deposit insurance 'comes into play' in a big way in a major economy only when a bank fails. But even in the US where it happened a lot in the last decade, individuals with more than US$250K in their accounts did not lose the rest of the money. Every cent in a bank account simply moved over to whichever bank bought out the failed bank. It is not as if the new bank said, "you had 251K in your account with xxx bank, but at our bank your account will only have 250K because that is the FDIC cap".

Sure you could argue that these banks would have had very few >US$250K account deposits to start with, and say a Citibank or Bank of America were to fail, this scenario might actually play out. But Citi or BOA in the US have terribly rates, and it is only the smaller/internet -based banks who have even remotely reasonable CD and savings account rates.

My limited point is that the FDIC insurance on my US$ in a US bank account is to me at least, not a sufficient reason to hold on to the funds in the US.

On 12-month deposits, the US$ FD interest rates are not worse in Singapore than in the US.

Erm, mate, those dollars are ultimately in your Singaporean bank's nostro account at a US bank, or their clearing account at the Fed, and that means they're in US jurisdiction.

TBQH mate you're wrong. If you want to hold dollars, holding them at a Singapore bank is always worse. The interest rates are worse. The deposit insurance is worse. And why on earth are you worried about an IRS seizure scenario? Don't dodge US taxes in the first place!

I simply don't agree with you, vegavega25.

For one, I don't factor the insurance into my calculations. It would take a cataclysmic event for a bank to fail in Singapore, and there would be enough signs along the way seeing which I would move the money in a jiffy. On the other hand, I am less confident about US banks, except for the ones 'too big to fail', where the interest rates are not very attractive.

I agree that there is a cost involved in bringing the money over to Singapore. I do not have a Citibank account in Singapore. Which is why I am wondering if the Transferwise borderless account is a fairly low-cost way to do it. Sending the US$ back to the US is free.

Why would you ever want to do that? The safety decreases (no deposit insurance), and the costs go up (bank fees, etc.) What am I missing?

Some banks in Singapore do not.

Interesting, thanks for this. Is this a good legitimate way to transfer personal US$ funds from a bank account in the US to a US$ bank account in Singapore? From the look of it, Transferwise will charge US$3.30 + a SWIFT fee of US$2. That is superb given that most US banks charge US$25-35 just to do the international wire transfer. Of course it remains to be seen whether the Singapore bank will charge an incoming wire transfer fee - I suppose they will. But they would in either case, so the difference I am looking at is US$5.30 versus US$35.

hengah_ongah

Reaction score
Hi bbcwatcher,

Can you advise if it is prudent to hold just one term policy with just one insurance company?

Currently i am holding to aviva saf/hometeam group insurance for about 800k.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
good morning team,
i have just reviewed my wife's & child's policies & would like frank opinions on the following policies

G PROTECT PLUS ACCUM
Life Protection

Policy Number: Lxxxxxxxxxx
Premium Due Date: 09-Nov-2018
Policy Start Date: 09-Nov-2016
Life Assured: Our Child Age 11

AIA FAMILY FIRST SECURE
Investments

Policy Number: Uxxxxxxxxxx
Premium Due Date: 18-Mar-2019
Policy Start Date: 18-Mar-2016
Life Assured: my wife

AIA SMART GROWTH 21
Savings

Premium Due Date: 30-Aug-2018
Policy Start Date: 30-Jun-2008

PRIME LIFE (AC)
Life Protection

Policy Number: Lxxxxxxxxx
Premium Due Date: 15-Jun-2019
Policy Start Date: 15-Jun-2007

ACHIEVER
Investments

Policy Number: Uxxxxxxxxxx
Premium Due Date: 30-May-2019
Policy Start Date: 30-May-2007

WHOLE LIFE
Life Protection

Policy Number: Lxxxxxxxxx
Premium Due Date: 03-Sep-2018
Policy Start Date: 03-Jun-1999

PRIME LIFE
Life Protection

Premium Due Date: 03-Sep-2018
Policy Start Date: 03-Sep-1996

i just know a lot of premium dollars are being paid out annually but i dont know whether all these policies are good or not or what some of them even do. would really appreciate advice.
if more information is required please do indicate the plan name & the info required & i will try to get them.
for now i have the BIs for the G PROTECT PLUS ACCUM & AIA FAMILY FIRST SECURE but they are 18 pages long & i am trying to figure out which are the relevant pages & the best way to attach them with the least number of pages.
thanks for reading

nicholeswong97

Reaction score
good morning team,
i have just reviewed my wife's & child's policies & would like frank opinions on the following policies

Just a random dude passing by with a grain of salt. Just asking why need so many life protection for both of them? No integrated shield plan/health insurance???

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a random dude passing by with a grain of salt. Just asking why need so many life protection for both of them? No integrated shield plan/health insurance???

thanks for replying
ohh both are ISP, CI (for wife) & PA insured.
i did not post out bcos those i deemed as necessary.
i only posted these that i am unsure of.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.