2018 iPad Pro

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After you mentioned about sending it for servicing because of the issue, I went to buy an extra tempered glass protector. :s13:

But my issue was actually hardware related. I had to purchase another screen protector after the replacement, but it’s all worth it

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway out of curiosity, are there folks here who uses some stylus with the iPad Pro that is not the Apple Pencil please? Does it work reasonably well?

Reason for asking is because I am thinking of getting one, though not the Pencil because I don't think I will use it extensively. It is very clear that my usage is very low because I rarely touch the active pen for my hybrid as well. So don't want to waste money buying an expensive one.

I do and I can tell you that nothing is as good as the Pencil. Not even close, there's a reason why the Pencil is so expensive.

My wife uses a passive stylus and switched to the Pencil after less than 3 weeks.

The experience is just different.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do and I can tell you that nothing is as good as the Pencil. Not even close, there's a reason why the Pencil is so expensive.

My wife uses a passive stylus and switched to the Pencil after less than 3 weeks.

The experience is just different.

Got it. What do you folks use the pencil for anyway? For me is mainly to take notes. Other than that, may be good for some photo editing software. Therefore, I feel my usage is going to be very low and not sure if it is worth paying 138 bucks for it.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got it. What do you folks use the pencil for anyway? For me is mainly to take notes. Other than that, may be good for some photo editing software. Therefore, I feel my usage is going to be very low and not sure if it is worth paying 138 bucks for it.

I use it for notes taking mainly on Notability. Other than that, sometimes I use it as a stylus for tapping on small hyperlinks and online forms.

Photo editing I do it on my MBP so yeah, the Pencil's just for all those. =:p

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use it for notes taking mainly on Notability. Other than that, sometimes I use it as a stylus for tapping on small hyperlinks and online forms.

Photo editing I do it on my MBP so yeah, the Pencil's just for all those. =:p

Same.

And some people find it difficult to write using a passive stylus but the Pencil makes it so easy.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same.

And some people find it difficult to write using a passive stylus but the Pencil makes it so easy.

I find that the iPad Pro and Pencil are made for each other, and I felt that all iPad Pro owners should get one as a tool for optimising the iPad Pro's functionality.

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Well the regular ipads now support the pencil....don’t know if thats a good thing anot lol.

radiancez567

Reaction score
Anyway out of curiosity, are there folks here who uses some stylus with the iPad Pro that is not the Apple Pencil please? Does it work reasonably well?

Reason for asking is because I am thinking of getting one, though not the Pencil because I don't think I will use it extensively. It is very clear that my usage is very low because I rarely touch the active pen for my hybrid as well. So don't want to waste money buying an expensive one.

The Apple Pencil stands out if you use for drawing or writing notes.

For normal browsing or navigation, a simple stylus will still give you a reasonably good experience, except when you are trying to click a super small hyperlink. (Benefit is don't need to worry no battery)

This $1 stylus from Challenger serves me well.
19b85caac31119f38b7f80b9367e3942.jpg

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Apple Pencil stands out if you use for drawing or writing notes.

For normal browsing or navigation, a simple stylus will still give you a reasonably good experience, except when you are trying to click a super small hyperlink. (Benefit is don't need to worry no battery)

This $1 stylus from Challenger serves me well.
19b85caac31119f38b7f80b9367e3942.jpg

I bought one with a pointed tip rather than the fat tip. I've seen my insurance agent use this and I don't find it very useful though. First the tip is too fat, so I feel there is not much difference from using my fingers. Secondly, there is too much resistance, almost like use an eraser on the screen. :s13:

radiancez567

Reaction score
I bought one with a pointed tip rather than the fat tip. I've seen my insurance agent use this and I don't find it very useful though. First the tip is too fat, so I feel there is not much difference from using my fingers. Secondly, there is too much resistance, almost like use an eraser on the screen. :s13:

Well.. because of the reach of the stylus, the hand do not have to move as much :s13: The resistance will be remarkly noticeable when doing lots of drag-and-drop actions, else just clicking around (not small hyperlinks) it should be fine.

Guyver

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will keep a lookout for this. Thanks for the heads up. :)

mine had the same bright patch at bottom right .. and got it exchanged with a new unit in 3 working days .

Lucky i have apple care so if theres anymore of this problem . will hope it happens before apple care ends.

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello GotBetrayed,

Check with you, I'm considering 10" and 12.9" iPad Pro,

What makes you go for the 12.9" screen ?

sorry for my silly questions =:p

For larger screen due to me switching over from surface pro 4. Really very good for youtube and netflix. Regretted not getting lte version though as it will be portable everywhere. Weight is jusr 667 grams so it is very light for 12.9 screen. Multitasking works better on bigger screen. I had a mini 4 before this and sold the mini 4.

The keyboard feels way better on 12.9 rather than 10.5 for me. 10.5 is way smaller so keyboard doesn’t feel like a proper laptop keyboard. I was a student back then so I had to get one that suits my schooling needs

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine had the same bright patch at bottom right .. and got it exchanged with a new unit in 3 working days .

Lucky i have apple care so if theres anymore of this problem . will hope it happens before apple care ends.

Mine was almost 3 mths old when that happened. Sent to Apple Store to get a 1-1 exchange. What I’m not very happy about is, the Genius staff told me it’s a new set (in white box), but in fact it’s refurbished. From my batt life app, it’s also 2% worned.

So yeah, a pretty new set for a refurbished one. :s22:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well.. because of the reach of the stylus, the hand do not have to move as much :s13: The resistance will be remarkly noticeable when doing lots of drag-and-drop actions, else just clicking around (not small hyperlinks) it should be fine.

Yeah. My agent was asking me to sign with it, and I can clearly feel the resistance and don't feel it is meant for for writing, etc. :s13:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello GotBetrayed,

Check with you, I'm considering 10" and 12.9" iPad Pro,

What makes you go for the 12.9" screen ?

sorry for my silly questions =:p

I feel it is best you go down and try out the 2 iPads before making the decision. Both are good, but it depends on your preference.

I feel the bigger iPad Pro is good when you use it extensively for productivity purpose and multi task a lot. It is not heavy, but I prefer a smaller iPad to bring around for work and travel.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine was almost 3 mths old when that happened. Sent to Apple Store to get a 1-1 exchange. What I’m not very happy about is, the Genius staff told me it’s a new set (in white box), but in fact it’s refurbished. From my batt life app, it’s also 2% worned.

So yeah, a pretty new set for a refurbished one. :s22:

I do hope it is not a recurring issue though. It is a pain if the same problem resurfaces.

rvyne7

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm also looking @ 12.9".. getting it for my work thots..

10.5" looks Ok too.

now considering either 1 of them.. :s8:

coming from 12.9 user you might need to revisit your option...if you're thinking stationary use then no issue... but if you'd thinking that as complimentary to your existing macbook/laptop then definitely might not be that good idea specially if you want to travel... I find it hard for me to bring along when travelling coz its redundant unless you just want to bring that 12.9 alone and left your laptop at home.

still waiting new model for myself see what sizes best next (no iPad at moment) :p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.