Watercooling Coolant Questions

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Having used an AIO for a while, thought I will try custom water cooling. I have all the parts except coolant.

Two questions about coolants - (1) any recommendation for premix and where to buy? I'm leaning towards XSPC EC6; (2) if use distilled water, I will need biocide and anti-corrosive. Any recommendations for these two including where to buy? Anything else I need to add to the water?

Thanks in advance. :)

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cc: shadow84 / royfrosty :s34:

Might want to list your water cooling parts list? It'll be easier to understand what you're planning with the loop

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firstly, go sign up for PPC newsletter. They occasionally run 10-15% promo for their items, exclude shipping. You can buy almost everything related to WC from there, including your biocide and silver coil.

Shld u get premixed solution, it should alrdy come with included biocide, no need add 3rd party. At most, just add a small silver coil to play safe.

U can try mayhems coolant if u fancy their colours or just go for plain coolant. I got my 5L from AQC with some other stuff. 37.90EUR flat shipping no matter what u throw in, at least till 12kg gross weight that i had tried.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cc: shadow84 / royfrosty :s34:

Might want to list your water cooling parts list? It'll be easier to understand what you're planning with the loop

Sure,

CPU - XSPC Raystorm
Pump - XSPC D5 Vario
Reservoir - XSPC D5 Dual Bay
Radiator - XSPC 240mm
Soft tubes with compression fittings

I have a second XSPC radiator and sufficient compression fittings for dual GPUs but no intention to use those at the moment.

Keeping it simple so just to water cool the CPU.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Having used an AIO for a while, thought I will try custom water cooling. I have all the parts except coolant.

Two questions about coolants - (1) any recommendation for premix and where to buy? I'm leaning towards XSPC EC6; (2) if use distilled water, I will need biocide and anti-corrosive. Any recommendations for these two including where to buy? Anything else I need to add to the water?

Thanks in advance. :)

i have an unopen bottle of Thermaltake C1000 Opaque Coolant colorless
check your PM

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure,

CPU - XSPC Raystorm
Pump - XSPC D5 Vario
Radiator - XSPC 240mm

I have a second XSPC radiator and sufficient compression fittings for dual GPUs but no intention to use those at the moment.

Since u alrdy bought 90% of stuff, might as well WC gpu as well. If its ref gpu mcb, most brands shld be fine. If gpu mcb is custom, search for EK.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
@Koenig168 hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread? I'm new to watercooling and wanted to ask the same question too.
@shadow84 PPC referring to performance-pcs.com? If order coolant from them, do they ship direct to SG? Or goes through forwarder? Can forwarder ship liquid? Is there a requirement to declare MSDS at custom or anything?

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Koenig168 hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread? I'm new to watercooling and wanted to ask the same question too.
@shadow84 PPC referring to performance-pcs.com? If order coolant from them, do they ship direct to SG? Or goes through forwarder? Can forwarder ship liquid? Is there a requirement to declare MSDS at custom or anything?

They use DHL/fedex which can go thru w/o msds. Yes ppcs is performance-pcs. Recently got a 10% off min $50 spent and 15% off min $250 spent. They usually release codes based on USA major and mid-minor holiday so u can google for it.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Current ppc labor day coupon
6UM2Rba.png

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun rush to buy the items w/o proper planning. Discount will always come back de.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
is it better to get all the components and case on hand first before getting the WC stuff? so far I've been drawing my layout on paper and calculating the fittings and other WC components, but lots of it based on estimates.

eg. how to know when to use 90° or a double 45° fitting? if using PETG, could I just bend the tube instead of using the angled fittings?

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure,

CPU - XSPC Raystorm
Pump - XSPC D5 Vario
Radiator - XSPC 240mm

I think the total 480mm rad space would be far better for keeping RPMs low compared to a single rad.

Larger loops tend to soak heat a lot better.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since u alrdy bought 90% of stuff, might as well WC gpu as well. If its ref gpu mcb, most brands shld be fine. If gpu mcb is custom, search for EK.

Keeping it simple at the moment. Besides, I think my GTX 1050Ti can survive without water cooling. :s13:

Also, thanks for the ppc tip. Just subscribed and now browsing through the site.

No problem. You asked the same questions which I had in mind. :)

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it better to get all the components and case on hand first before getting the WC stuff? so far I've been drawing my layout on paper and calculating the fittings and other WC components, but lots of it based on estimates.

eg. how to know when to use 90° or a double 45° fitting? if using PETG, could I just bend the tube instead of using the angled fittings?

Once u settle ur pc components, u can start putting wc items into cart first. Go find out on ur case restrictions like top mount to mobo distance, etc. This will affect what wc components u buy.

I suggest to buy wc components first. Once u have it physically, fit all into case and visualise ur loop and record down fittings that u need. U can consider extra fittings just in case.

U can bend the petg to achieve nice angles but need bending tools + heatgun.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the total 480mm rad space would be far better for keeping RPMs low compared to a single rad.

Larger loops tend to soak heat a lot better.

Should I decide to add GPUs to the loop, I will add the second radiator but rather unlikely.

Some background - I bought an existing rig with the whole WC already set up with dual GTX 780s in SLI with Swiftech Komodo water blocks. Since I'm new to this, wanted to see how it was done. Took everything apart :s13: and now rebuilding again leaving out the GPUs. Actually, quite simple. Just like plumbing.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As long as you tighten the comoression fitting correctly, wun leak de. U do once le, next rnd, u can just immediately boot up pc while filling up res. No need conduct leaktest. lol

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As long as you tighten the comoression fitting correctly, wun leak de. U do once le, next rnd, u can just immediately boot up pc while filling up res. No need conduct leaktest. lol

Better to learn with a spare rig. If I mess it up, not so painful. :s13:

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Once u settle ur pc components, u can start putting wc items into cart first. Go find out on ur case restrictions like top mount to mobo distance, etc. This will affect what wc components u buy.

I suggest to buy wc components first. Once u have it physically, fit all into case and visualise ur loop and record down fittings that u need. U can consider extra fittings just in case.

U can bend the petg to achieve nice angles but need bending tools + heatgun.
would my wife's hairdryer be enough for bending the tubes? else I gotta hit the hardware store before she hits me :o

so is it better to get all PC components first then start deciding on the WC components? I have yet to secure majority of my PC stuff (1x GTX 1080 so far, though the other items are in cart already), and I have 2x 360 rads and 1x GPU block on the way from Taobao (tong pang my friend's shipment since my chinese is totally fuxxx).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.