Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Plan to go to Nikko on 22 sept (Sat). From TOBU railways ltd express timetable, there is a train (Nikko 1) departing at 0730 from Shinjuku station . The online booking system only allow book to start from Asakusa. No dropdown list for other station.
Anyone go Nikko from Shinjuku stn before?
Should be ok to book when you reach japan. I went in july and only booked at the jr counter when i collected my tokyo wide pass one day before my 7.30 train on a sat. Train wasn't full.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Plan to go to Nikko on 22 sept (Sat). From TOBU railways ltd express timetable, there is a train (Nikko 1) departing at 0730 from Shinjuku station . The online booking system only allow book to start from Asakusa. No dropdown list for other station.
Anyone go Nikko from Shinjuku stn before?

Nikko 1 is a JR Line using Tobu rails. So i think you can only purchase using JR booking system.

qHeqdBU.png

Although can book online, easier to go physical buy ticket when you reach Japan. Normally Trains will not sold out unless golden week those period

Last edited:

soulev

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve a trip to Tokyo on 1 Dec for a week. Currently I’m looking for a Ryokan stay experience with my spouse that has a private onsen. Is it common that meals are in own room if it’s not stated. Finding the perfect room can be a challenge.
Anyone with experience care to share any ideal location?

I’m looking for room
For 2
Scenic view / open air private onsen
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.
Any issue with bringing luggage along?

thwysg

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve a trip to Tokyo on 1 Dec for a week. Currently I’m looking for a Ryokan stay experience with my spouse that has a private onsen. Is it common that meals are in own room if it’s not stated. Finding the perfect room can be a challenge.

I’m looking for room
For 2
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.

Generally for ryokans, so long as they are not near any station, they (most) would provide pick-up services. No issue with bringing your luggage along. You need to look at the locations you want to stay in - popular ones like Hakone, Kawaguchiko, Kinugawa Onsen. Or Atami or further down within Izu Peninsula. Rooms that come with private baths won't be cheap.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking for room
For 2
Meals in own room
Optional pick up bus.

My experience with ryokans in Japan.

Their pickup is very restrictive. certain timing near to check in at train station etc.
So i often if i arrive at the area earlier, i will take train/cab down to ryokan to offload my luggage there first.

And nowadays they don't even send you back to station after checkout. Only thing they will do is call a cab for you (Last time few years ago, van/bus back to station after checkout is fairly common).

Open air private onsen quite many ryokan have it. Need to pay quite a lot in certain areas. more than even the 5 stars high end hotel in Japan. With scenic view even higher cost, 1k-2k per night type of high.

Meals in own room. Most ryokan will have that, if your room is big enough. Last time i stayed one ryokan in noboribetsu. got dedicated dining room within my own room. impressive

No issue with bringing luggage

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pls dont put too much hope on free WIFI, 75% of the time, u can even connect and if u are able to, u can't get access :p

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you guys buy Japan SIM card or rent Wifi Router from Changi or just go with public Wifi?
Buy starhub happyroam prepaid or check qoo10 yokoso sim card but former cheaper.

Cons of changi router is must remember to collect before going inside when you depart and return before leaving airport when you land. I know ppl who either forgot to collect or nearly forgot to return when their grab ride ard arrived and chiong to return.

Sty_123

Reaction score
Is the month of May a good month to visit Hokkaido? Thinking of planning a trip in May so that I can visit the Shizuoka Hobby show also with my family. Thanks in advance for any replies.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the month of May a good month to visit Hokkaido? Thinking of planning a trip in May so that I can visit the Shizuoka Hobby show also with my family. Thanks in advance for any replies.

u can see pink moss, tulips in May. that's about it iirc.

thwysg

Reaction score

Early May in Hokkaido? You’ll see sakura.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy starhub happyroam prepaid or check qoo10 yokoso sim card but former cheaper.

Cons of changi router is must remember to collect before going inside when you depart and return before leaving airport when you land. I know ppl who either forgot to collect or nearly forgot to return when their grab ride ard arrived and chiong to return.

Just to confirm, starhub happyroam consist of $18 local data + $15 top up for overseas usage. So, if i want get this purely for Jap trip, total cost minimum is $33?

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, starhub happyroam consist of $18 local data + $15 top up for overseas usage. So, if i want get this purely for Jap trip, total cost minimum is $33?

no

with the $18 value, u can activate a 1.2GB 1 month roaming plan that costs $15

no need to top up

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you guys buy Japan SIM card or rent Wifi Router from Changi or just go with public Wifi?

Depends la whether individual sim or mifi..If travelling as a couple, mifi will work but if with friends, better to individual sim unless confirm + chop both stick together..

I reserve changi mifi for my oct trip at $38 for 10 days..Share by wife and me so pretty okay.

tc4237

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or get 2gb for $12 for 20days.

It's how you chose to spend the $15 to cater to your own needs.

Changi wifi rental is good if you plan to share data with family. But if wanna walk seperate places overseas, good to have at least 2 sets of starhub prepaid.

Changi one abit wasted, have to pay 2 extra days (going there and coming back) for nth.
Plus the Changi wifi units were quite old. Batt may not last a whole day and heats up when hunting for signal in the mountains. This also means one extra device to charge every night.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now got promo code..

201807181730186KK5DMXQG29VL.jpg

When rented for my 2016 trip, one full charge last me whole day out with some juice left at the end of things.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now got promo code..

201807181730186KK5DMXQG29VL.jpg

When rented for my 2016 trip, one full charge last me whole day out with some juice left at the end of things.

They got few model.. Some small one the battery last half a day only.. I got the bigger one like powerbank.. Last me 2 day per charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.