[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
Usually I put in together.

They don't do well in warm water. Mine initially died and all the leaves turn brown. Then I threw the stems into my shrimp tank with chilled water and it started to sprout leaves again.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are keeping shrimps, mama shrimps are vital to sustaining the colony. The lifespan of each shrimp is roughly 3 weeks. So if your tank isn't sustaining, the colony quickly disappear. Cool water is vital to reproduction of shrimps.

Here we see a mama shrimp with eggs in her belly. This was from my tank proudly.
It is smaller than your finger though....hee.
xSpNZA8.jpg

Archnemo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They don't do well in warm water. Mine initially died and all the leaves turn brown. Then I threw the stems into my shrimp tank with chilled water and it started to sprout leaves again.

No wonder my ferns never seems to survive and yet I kept reading they are very hardy. Zzz

If you are keeping shrimps, mama shrimps are vital to sustaining the colony. The lifespan of each shrimp is roughly 3 weeks. So if your tank isn't sustaining, the colony quickly disappear. Cool water is vital to reproduction of shrimps.

Here we see a mama shrimp with eggs in her belly. This was from my tank proudly.
It is smaller than your finger though....hee.
xSpNZA8.jpg

Argh... My cherries aren't growing unless between Nov to feb. But now my population almost decimated. :sad: maybe I'll won't top up anymore. Chiller too expansive and high running cost.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No wonder my ferns never seems to survive and yet I kept reading they are very hardy. Zzz

Argh... My cherries aren't growing unless between Nov to feb. But now my population almost decimated. :sad: maybe I'll won't top up anymore. Chiller too expansive and high running cost.

Yeee.....if you want to sustain the colony, you need to count male to female ratio. Then goto Clementi Flourist see if you can pick up the balancing number. Best if the shrimps got eggs so they will replenish the colony faster or not.

September going to be hotter, evaporation is going to be fast. Humidity is dropping already. If the tank is not cool enough, add fan. Cheap fan is computer fan modified to adaptor. You can tb in the fans easily. They run at 12v so 12v adaptors you can tb in as well. Not going to run too much energy there.

If Y618 then you get to catch them yourself. :>

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw got this longkang moss sold at polyart

What is it ?! Can keep in tank/ hardy?!

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw got this longkang moss sold at polyart

What is it ?! Can keep in tank/ hardy?!

sterilise it before adding into your tank, i seem many people get their place from the pond/reservoir/drain to add into their tank

ljohn78

Reaction score
Hey anybody wants a bunch of snails (mix mystery, Malaysian trumpets) loose gravels, driftwood and some minor plants for free?

My puffers have passed and I wanna give these stuffs away. Please pm me ur contact. Self collect at my place in the central-east region.
Hi pewpewpew. I would love to get my hands on them. Especially the trumpets.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

ljohn78

Reaction score

Most ferns, moss and some aquatic plants dont do well when water temp is above 30 degree Celsius.

If you are planning to keep a tank without fan or cooling, then pick plants that are higher heat tolerant.

Shrimps thrive with regular water change and less than 30 degrees temp. I think shrimps lifespan are 3 months. Of course they have longer life at cooler temp. Ideally about 25 or slightly lower but 27 is fine too. Nothing more than 31.

In singapore, water temp can sometimes climb to 31 or even 32 and stay like this for a few days. The shrimps will get wiped out this way. So put your tank in a cooler corner of the house away from sun to avoid heating up during the day. Avoid having too much equipment like pump or cfl light that also add heat to tank.

Last edited:

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Most ferns, moss and some aquatic plants dont do well when water temp is above 30 degree Celsius.

If you are planting to keep a small tank without fan or cooling, then pick plants that are higher heat tolerant.

What are some of the low lying plants which are more heat tolerant and no need soil?

popimac

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you plant the java fern tied together with the piece of driftwood?

Or cut the thread and plant each?

Here's a photo of mine

xA8JtCU.jpg
best to keep the plant as per the pic. baby plants will grow out from the old leaves and you can pluck them out and tie a bunch on a wood or rock then.

Sent from my air hole using GAGT

ljohn78

Reaction score
Consider bare bottom....wld like to be tied to rock so that it can sink down....
Then i suggest Cryptocoryne wentii green or some plants from cryptocoryne family.

They are asian plant that are found near river banks. So already adapted to our climate and dont really need rich substrate. They also dont grow tall since they are rosette plant. Just nice for you. They are easy plant for beginners too. But dont keep them in high pH water.

A pic for your reference.
JRlpoJxl.jpg

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Then i suggest Cryptocoryne wentii green or some plants from cryptocoryne family.

They are asian plant that are found near river banks. So already adapted to our climate and dont really need rich substrate. They also dont grow tall since they are rosette plant. Just nice for you. They are easy plant for beginners too. But dont keep them in high pH water.

JRlpoJxl.jpg

Thank you :s12: :s12:

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aunty at c328 selling 1 bag for $2.

Thankz
At which part of the shop? The front where all the grass is gathered ? Also is the bag labelled or something ?

Ultimo_Urien

Banned
Reaction score

JRlpoJxl.jpg

Java Fern? Rast time I keep but also will kena green spotted algae allover the leaves Sia.

Maybe phosphate too high...:(

popimac

Master Member
Reaction score

JRlpoJxl.jpg

crypts still require substrate.

ljohn78

Reaction score
Thankz
At which part of the shop? The front where all the grass is gathered ? Also is the bag labelled or something ?
At the back. Near bagging counter, hanging at the side where aunty put goldfish.

Java Fern? Rast time I keep but also will kena green spotted algae allover the leaves Sia.

Maybe phosphate too high...:(
The plant in the pic is not java fern. Green spot is common. Use nerite snails. Maybe too much light or nutrients. I mainly have them on glass but i dont really care, cause not alot.

crypts still require substrate.

Not the crypt i recommend. It can even be floated.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This kind of plants likely to kena algae, those grey hairy type. Yamato shrimps basically take care of that.

Again I say, the tank must achieve balance. You see that japanese vid, jungle also can become beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.