November 2017 SBF

Erinlmh

Reaction score
Hello my fellow friends. It's been a long time since I last chat here. Miss you all with all the information.

1) Someone mentioned about the new rules for people to be able to keep 20K inside our CPF. No need to clear out our OA for the house. I did that when I took up bank loan with HSBC. We borrowed 276K. It's been 6 years. Interest paid is closed to 40k. Do you think it's worth it?:s13::s13:

2) With regards to the option fee. I heard from the CS from HDB, it will takes around 4-6 weeks. I also need the money back asap leh.... :D

3) I will be going to HDB this weekend for the 10% downpayment. Since no keys available as yet, I will just sit around and gain more experience from you all.

4) Waiting for Nur.Azie to revert on the updates for the floor screeding appeal. Since I failed to get the flooring from HDB, left with no choice but to use vinyl for bed rooms and living room. If HDB can do floor screeding, can save at least 1k ba. Anyone has any of such experience to share with us?:)

Erinlmh

Reaction score
wa 70k.. is either you really do a lot or those ID wanna chop you. :s13:

My ID was quite reasonable pricing..

kitchen: Hack semi open + do window + kitchen door + 25ft cabinets in total
all 3 room with at least 5ft wardrobe
master room high storage platform bed
master + living feature wall
Living + 3 room Vinyl overlay
2 toilet with fix glass panel + Vanity
Dining area: false ceiling
living + master room: coves lights
Full height 5ft shoe cabinet
whole house painting: 6 colors

My reno done up is about 40k + - only... + my ID drove me to JB purchase lighting and toiletries..

i think his price is really reasonable and he did quite a great job for my unit.

Hi Amex,

Think you did quite a lot of things leh

What I need is

1) Vinyl flooring for 3 bedrooms + living room (5K)
2) 5ft wardrobe for 3 bedrooms (5k)
3) Kitchen cabinet (5k)
4) Paint the whole house (2 -3 colours) (1.5K)
5) Window Grills (1k)
6) Lightings and electricity installation (1K)

The price is estimated by both my ID. If by the time when I got my unit and have spare cash, I will ask the ID to make a custom made bed for my 3 girls. Saw a design which they like on FB. The one with 2 beds on top and 1 at the bottom. At least they will have their own space. Won't fight. If not enough money then just buy a metal bunk bed for them which cost around $250 from Forty-Two. This one sure fight everyday:s13::s13:

https://www.facebook.com/smartparentshk/posts/1244328382246398?__xts__[0]=68.ARDh69Qv1MyxqXu_YdtEg13nv2r1ZNrESxFLz9PL_nxWy1hlz2GZu5GYFBj2Qy3UCS7bl9D7Z9pKVVxuUkZtvvcTBtqbiur_k6sC0AKIUJm_LxUbo6eaEEjymRLeZyRIB1RDu5zL1k_p00vsBvQPKqn4T0PhVE_J3lVSs9i3HkPuWVRdZ4WmhfU&__tn__=C-R

Erinlmh

Reaction score
How come your reno not approved? If you cannot taking ID like I am, I suggest you look for vendors who have in house loans or those that accept credit card instalments.

My SO and I not keen to take loan as we feel we should not start our future together in debt (aside from the monthly CPF la). Furthermore ID really anyhow charge leh. I ask many different ID and some give me itemised quotes and some just quote me 70k off hand :s11:

Think I will only take ID for coordination works like hacking and light works around the house. Cut down the cost significantly. Flooring and kitchen I save about 4k in total by taking contractor instead of ID.

:eek::eek::eek:70K is really alot leh.... If have time, can become the co-ordinator and get direct contractor to do the reno. That will really save alot.:)

Amex^1234

Reaction score
Hi Amex,

Think you did quite a lot of things leh

What I need is

1) Vinyl flooring for 3 bedrooms + living room (5K)
2) 5ft wardrobe for 3 bedrooms (5k)
3) Kitchen cabinet (5k)
4) Paint the whole house (2 -3 colours) (1.5K)
5) Window Grills (1k)
6) Lightings and electricity installation (1K)

The price is estimated by both my ID. If by the time when I got my unit and have spare cash, I will ask the ID to make a custom made bed for my 3 girls. Saw a design which they like on FB. The one with 2 beds on top and 1 at the bottom. At least they will have their own space. Won't fight. If not enough money then just buy a metal bunk bed for them which cost around $250 from Forty-Two. This one sure fight everyday:s13::s13:

https://www.facebook.com/smartparentshk/posts/1244328382246398?__xts__[0]=68.ARDh69Qv1MyxqXu_YdtEg13nv2r1ZNrESxFLz9PL_nxWy1hlz2GZu5GYFBj2Qy3UCS7bl9D7Z9pKVVxuUkZtvvcTBtqbiur_k6sC0AKIUJm_LxUbo6eaEEjymRLeZyRIB1RDu5zL1k_p00vsBvQPKqn4T0PhVE_J3lVSs9i3HkPuWVRdZ4WmhfU&__tn__=C-R

6) Lightings and electricity installation (1K)??? no need think.. lol.. i at first tot so too.. i did very minimal relocation and extra socket liao.. my electrical quoted me near 3k liao.. including installation of lighting/ceiling fan.

You no need shoe cabinet ah? Tv console buy off shelves?

zidmosby

Reaction score
Contractor sure cheaper.. but cannot loan ma..further more contractor do things u really need to be there to supervise lo, where got so much time...lol.

I didn't intend to take loan in the first place, so it's fine with me to go contractor and save costs. I'm not a 9-5 person so I have time :)

zidmosby

Reaction score
Hello my fellow friends. It's been a long time since I last chat here. Miss you all with all the information.

1) Someone mentioned about the new rules for people to be able to keep 20K inside our CPF. No need to clear out our OA for the house. I did that when I took up bank loan with HSBC. We borrowed 276K. It's been 6 years. Interest paid is closed to 40k. Do you think it's worth it?:s13::s13:

2) With regards to the option fee. I heard from the CS from HDB, it will takes around 4-6 weeks. I also need the money back asap leh.... :D

3) I will be going to HDB this weekend for the 10% downpayment. Since no keys available as yet, I will just sit around and gain more experience from you all.

4) Waiting for Nur.Azie to revert on the updates for the floor screeding appeal. Since I failed to get the flooring from HDB, left with no choice but to use vinyl for bed rooms and living room. If HDB can do floor screeding, can save at least 1k ba. Anyone has any of such experience to share with us?:)

Sit around and save money too. You will see all of us post headache on ID costs :s13:

Ikr, I am also waiting for her update hahaha. But I will be going to submit my appeal tomorrow so I can update you as well. What I heard from ID is that generally if the estate has reached their minimum number to proceed with screeding appeal, appeal is approved. If it's like one or two from that project, likely is rejected.

Current process also varies with either screeding approved FOC or with some charge (around $500-$700). Even if need to pay, it is significantly cheaper as contractor themselves charge me around $2k minimum.

zidmosby

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:70K is really alot leh.... If have time, can become the co-ordinator and get direct contractor to do the reno. That will really save alot.:)

Yup, that's what I am doing now. Just some examples of the savings:

1) ID flooring 10k (Korea source) vs Contractor flooring 3k (Switzerland source)
2) ID hacking of 2 walls 3k vs Contractor hack $900
3) ID kitchen bottom cabinet only 6k vs contractor kitchen bottom cabinet only 2.7k

Erinlmh

Reaction score
6) Lightings and electricity installation (1K)??? no need think.. lol.. i at first tot so too.. i did very minimal relocation and extra socket liao.. my electrical quoted me near 3k liao.. including installation of lighting/ceiling fan.

You no need shoe cabinet ah? Tv console buy off shelves?

Should be 2k. 1k is actually my cost for the lighting. We are getting those simple ceiling lights. SIL told me that the ceiling light she gotten from Taobao is very good.

We are now using those ready made wooden shoe cabinet. I dun have many pairs of shoe. As I work in a factory, my best friend will be my slipper for normal days and sport shoe for factory wear. Unlike last time when I was working in Shenton way, so many pairs of heels.:s13::s13:

TV console.... My current so called TV console is actually make out of 3 Ikea metal cabinet. Kids will store their school books inside the cabinet. On top will put the phone, wifi unit, keyboard, remote control units. TV is mounted on the wall. I dun wanna have those built-in TV console. Need to clean and clean the dust. Too much work for me. I dun even have time for the younger ones cos my eldest is having PSLE this year.
https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/20399664/

Last edited:

zidmosby

Reaction score
My friend told me around 1k, Maybe because I am getting those simple ceiling lights and not those chandelier type.

We are now using those ready made wooden shoe cabinet. I dun have many pairs of shoe. As I work in a factory, my best friend will be my slipper for normal days and sport shoe for factory wear. Unlike last time when I was working in Shenton way, so many pairs of heels.:s13::s13:

TV console.... My current so called TV console is actually make out of 3 Ikea metal cabinet. Kids will store their school books inside the cabinet. On top will put the phone, wifi unit, keyboard, remote control units. TV is mounted on the wall. I dun wanna have those built-in TV console. Need to clean and clean the dust. Too much work for me. I dun even have time for the younger ones cos my eldest is having PSLE this year.
https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/20399664/

I just went IKEA yesterday too so see what loose items I can get instead of asking ID to do carpentry works. By right the entire house can just furnish from IKEA if not picky :s13:

Erinlmh

Reaction score
I just went IKEA yesterday too so see what loose items I can get instead of asking ID to do carpentry works. By right the entire house can just furnish from IKEA if not picky :s13:

Small things like those toiletries accessories, clothes hook, etc can buy from Taobao and ship via EzBuy via Buy-For-Me service. Air freight is $1.69 per 500grams, Sea Freight is $1.20 per 500 grams + 7% GST. If items, damaged, can still ask them to refund or one to one exchange. For those not so rushing stuffs

I ever bought this type of clothes hook from a shop along Whampoa, cos my $85 each. :eek::eek:

https://ezbuy.sg/product/20000000164300.html

Erinlmh

Reaction score
Sit around and save money too. You will see all of us post headache on ID costs :s13:

Ikr, I am also waiting for her update hahaha. But I will be going to submit my appeal tomorrow so I can update you as well. What I heard from ID is that generally if the estate has reached their minimum number to proceed with screeding appeal, appeal is approved. If it's like one or two from that project, likely is rejected.

Current process also varies with either screeding approved FOC or with some charge (around $500-$700). Even if need to pay, it is significantly cheaper as contractor themselves charge me around $2k minimum.

Thanks for the information. I will go and ask my Northshore kakis to opt for the screeding for those who doesn't have any flooring:s13::s13:
Also will be waiting for your appeal procedure and result too. All the best.

I have read somewhere which mentioned that it's no longer free but still cheaper than what ID has quoted.

https://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2018/07/hdb-cement-screeding/

Erinlmh

Reaction score

1) ID flooring 10k (Korea source) vs Contractor flooring 3k (Switzerland source)
3) ID kitchen bottom cabinet only 6k vs contractor kitchen bottom cabinet only 2.7k

That's a huge saving!!! ID quoted you the flooring for how many rooms flat? How come to ex? Should be vinyl right?

The kitchen cabinet also very cheap leh.... Mine is a open kitchen concept, so I still have not decide what to do to seal up the entrance to make it smaller. Maybe will have a built-in cabinet all the way to the ceiling with oven and another slot for microwave oven. Save space too.

zidmosby

Reaction score
That's a huge saving!!! ID quoted you the flooring for how many rooms flat? How come to ex? Should be vinyl right?

The kitchen cabinet also very cheap leh.... Mine is a open kitchen concept, so I still have not decide what to do to seal up the entrance to make it smaller. Maybe will have a built-in cabinet all the way to the ceiling with oven and another slot for microwave oven. Save space too.

4 room vinyl excluding kitchen and toilet as I don't overlay. I went to many flooring companies and ID - all vary in quotes. But ID average is around 6-10k. After I told them I will cut flooring, some bo layan me and don't want to take my project :s22:

The cheapest quote was from China (obviously) at $2.5/psf? But I did not take from the contractor as the place looked abit shady.. like can anytime close down and ACRA showed they just open in Aug 2018 despite claiming been in this industry for 10 years. My sixth senses tingling liao.

SO and I were really contemplating the China vinyl until we came across the Swiss one at $2.8/psf. They were having NDP promo at 53% off. Showed us past works, bring us site visit, ACRA checks out good and customer service was top notch. So just top up a couple of hundred dollars and we feel like we got the best deal to date :)

The most expensive one was actually from Korea. The salesperson really give me sales pitch - say eco friendly, pet friendly, sound proof etc and charge $7.50 psf. But I did not like the material as I find some vinyl really feel very grainy. I grew up on tiles so this transition from smooth to not so smooth is abit difficult la.

Lucky you to get OKC. Mine comes with the wall so I am planning to hack half. I don't see the point in hacking full then putting a bar counter. I find it quite uncomfortable to have dinner on it :s22:

Erinlmh

Reaction score
4 room vinyl excluding kitchen and toilet as I don't overlay. I went to many flooring companies and ID - all vary in quotes. But ID average is around 6-10k. After I told them I will cut flooring, some bo layan me and don't want to take my project :s22:

The cheapest quote was from China (obviously) at $2.5/psf? But I did not take from the contractor as the place looked abit shady.. like can anytime close down and ACRA showed they just open in Aug 2018 despite claiming been in this industry for 10 years. My sixth senses tingling liao.

SO and I were really contemplating the China vinyl until we came across the Swiss one at $2.8/psf. They were having NDP promo at 53% off. Showed us past works, bring us site visit, ACRA checks out good and customer service was top notch. So just top up a couple of hundred dollars and we feel like we got the best deal to date :)

The most expensive one was actually from Korea. The salesperson really give me sales pitch - say eco friendly, pet friendly, sound proof etc and charge $7.50 psf. But I did not like the material as I find some vinyl really feel very grainy. I grew up on tiles so this transition from smooth to not so smooth is abit difficult la.

Lucky you to get OKC. Mine comes with the wall so I am planning to hack half. I don't see the point in hacking full then putting a bar counter. I find it quite uncomfortable to have dinner on it :s22:

I won't dare to purchase from the China Vinyl too. From what I heard from you, company just started, etc... sound like a scam. Better dun

$2.80/psf from Swiss sound like a good buy. $7.50/psf will be over budget for us too.

Since my new unit will be ready in another 1-2 years time, I will look at our saving and do the necessary first. Dun wanna take up reno loan at first, I think we left with no choice but to take some too.

I was at first very hesitate with the OKC unit. Then hub explained to me that we can make a whole row cabinet from floor to ceiling, it give me a better idea what we can make use of the empty space. Since hub is a giant, he needs more space at the entrance, we will leave more space for him. I am more concern about the 2 mini walls in between kitchen and laundry area. To hack or not to hack. House already very small still wanna divide them. Another headache is master bedroom is side by side with my daughters' room, but MIL room is after the living room(not connected to the rest of the room). How am I going to install the air-con??... Dun install for her, later she nag we unfair..... many issues to solve.

Amex^1234

Reaction score
Small things like those toiletries accessories, clothes hook, etc can buy from Taobao and ship via EzBuy via Buy-For-Me service. Air freight is $1.69 per 500grams, Sea Freight is $1.20 per 500 grams + 7% GST. If items, damaged, can still ask them to refund or one to one exchange. For those not so rushing stuffs

I ever bought this type of clothes hook from a shop along Whampoa, cos my $85 each. :eek::eek:

https://ezbuy.sg/product/20000000164300.html

my toilet accessories also bought a lot from taobao and use sea shipping.. nowadays ezbuy is extreme SLOW.... but my lights mostly bought from JB :s22:... Cos i scare china voltage different... lol...

Erinlmh

Reaction score
my toilet accessories also bought a lot from taobao and use sea shipping.. nowadays ezbuy is extreme SLOW.... but my lights mostly bought from JB :s22:... Cos i scare china voltage different... lol...

My ID told me she can help me get lights from a shop in Singapore at around $40+ per piece. If really not much different compare with buying from Taobao, think I will get it in Singapore. Faster this way. Did you purchase those simple ceiling lights from JB? Roughly how much per piece?

If you are a EzBuy Prime member, you can use their air freight service to Singapore. Faster this way. ;)

Amex^1234

Reaction score
My ID told me she can help me get lights from a shop in Singapore at around $40+ per piece. If really not much different compare with buying from Taobao, think I will get it in Singapore. Faster this way. Did you purchase those simple ceiling lights from JB? Roughly how much per piece?

If you are a EzBuy Prime member, you can use their air freight service to Singapore. Faster this way. ;)

hmm.. my down light i purchase each piece at 24RM, kitchen LED ceiling light 186RM. Toilet / store light 68RM .. i didnt buy those normal ceiling light.. lol.. cos room i got do Cove light .. then 1 common room i bought ceiling fan with light.

heybuddy

Reaction score

Yea same as mine

ID vinyl flooring 10k vs contractor 5.6k
ID Window grilles 2.6k vs contractor 1k
ID electrical works 2k+ vs contractor 850ish :s22:

I'm going for ID kitchen only.. only cimb is kind enough to lend me money now :(

semblady123

Reaction score
No worries
I collected key last wed
I still haven even check defects
Now only visiting IDs
Haven even seen any furniture yet also
So many things
I really so lazy
I wish everything is done up and I can just move in 😪😪😪

Wahhh congrats!.... everybody seems to have collected keys n doing reno already. I sure last one lahhh... 😅😅 my crm on leave since last week. Will be back today only. Hopefully she faster approve my appeal lahh.

Monday21

Reaction score
No worries
I collected key last wed
I still haven even check defects
Now only visiting IDs
Haven even seen any furniture yet also
So many things
I really so lazy
I wish everything is done up and I can just move in 😪😪😪

IKR!!!! When want to wait for keys like so anxious but when the keys are on hand like so slack already hahahahah... :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.