Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt88

Reaction score
The provided antenna is an active one, but you have to turn on the Antenna Power option in the set top box.

Posted from PCWX using SONY SUMIRE

I have already switched on this option in the set-top box. But I believed you are not familar how Active Antenna works. It has an additional item called "USB Power Adapter". This is to plug in to USB port and boost up the power of the Antenna to receive High Picture Quality!

Please google and see for yourself.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have already switched on this option in the set-top box. But I believed you are not familar how Active Antenna works. It has an additional item called "USB Power Adapter". This is to plug in to USB port and boost up the power of the Antenna to receive High Picture Quality!

you are the one who is not familiar with how active antenna works.

some active antenna can be powered via the coaxial cable and do not need other (usb) power adaptor.

go and google yourself.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I recorded a video showing the effect of the Antenna Power option when it's turned 'on' and 'off'.

PDhmvlt.jpg

I started off with the Antenna Power being turned on and after that with it being turned off.

The signal intensity was 100% when the option was turned on, but it dropped to 70~74% when the option was turned off. Signal Quality remained 100% throughout.

This does mean the box supplies power to the antenna, to make it active.

Last edited:

tt88

Reaction score
you are the one who is not familiar with how active antenna works.

some active antenna can be powered via the coaxial cable and do not need other (usb) power adaptor.

go and google yourself.

I recorded a video showing the effect of the Antenna Power option when it's turned 'on' and 'off'.

PDhmvlt.jpg

I started off with the Antenna Power being turned on and after that with it being turned off.

The signal intensity was 100% when the option was turned on, but it dropped to 70~74% when the option was turned off. Signal Quality remained 100% throughout.

gregory_choo, you are the one that is not familiar. If not, why you did not advise about using USB Booster to enhance the picture quality? You knew this USB Booster can make your TV Antenna get More Channels & Enhance TV Signal, yet you kept silent...

Switching on the Power Antenna option in the set-top box, this part is no doubt about it.
I knew Active Antenna powered via the coaxial cable works.
But what I mean is You need 2 Amplifiers, with added USB Power Booster to obtain the Maximum Distance, Signal Quality & Best Picture.

No point to argue who is right or wrong. You Believe powered via the coaxial cable is enough... That is your Standard.

My Standard is 2 Amplifiers, with the added USB Power Booster source!

Please watch Part 2 of youtube on "How to Install DTV equipment".
There, you can see the demo using "USB Power Booster"

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MvhxFpZjtB8

Active antenna
Includes two amplifiers, one for the downlink an one for the uplink.
The purpose of the downlink amplifier is to maintain the best possible signal quality at reception. The purpose of the uplink amplifier is to deliver the needed RF power into the antenna.
Without these amplifiers, the loss of the coaxial cable will have a severe impact on performance.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

PDhmvlt.jpg

Your video also shows that the signal strength at your place is high enough, you can get good picture even with the $2 antenna.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your video also shows that the signal strength at your place is high enough, you can get good picture even with the $2 antenna.
Yeah, my area has good reception that even if I place the indoor antenna not near the window still can receive the signal well.

But since the NMS box comes with the free antenna, I just used it instead. :o

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Active antenna
Includes two amplifiers, one for the downlink an one for the uplink.
The purpose of the downlink amplifier is to maintain the best possible signal quality at reception. The purpose of the uplink amplifier is to deliver the needed RF power into the antenna.
Without these amplifiers, the loss of the coaxial cable will have a severe impact on performance.

Don't cut and paste randomly. :s22: We are talking about tv receivers. What uplink RF power are you referring to?

ZynoXII

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your TV does not have a built in DVB T2, then you need a DVB T2 set top BOX

Your TV is not able to decode the DVB T2 without the built in tuner or set top box.

Just purchase a dvbt box and hook it up with the digital antenna and it should solve your problem.

I purchased a DVB-T2 tuner set top box today. Installed it and it works like a charm! Thank you very much :)

kurt111494

Master Member
Reaction score
I got the NewMediaSolutions STB with antenna too. Haven't opened yet. Hopefully won't have any problems ><

sporeknight76

Master Member
Reaction score
Erm. To make things simple, active antenna or nt, jus plug the usb cable to the usb port, then STB settings select "antenna on". Ok liao ma.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Erm. To make things simple, active antenna or nt, jus plug the usb cable to the usb port, then STB settings select "antenna on". Ok liao ma.

No, that will probably cause problem as there are now 2 sources of 5V current coming from TV USB and STB itself.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the NewMediaSolutions STB with antenna too. Haven't opened yet. Hopefully won't have any problems ><

Better check fast, there are definitely QC issue with NMS as pointed by others. Although my unit work fine, there is a slight current leakage at the back where all the connectors are located.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If your tv or set top box has the 'tv antenna power' option, do not use the usb power inserter.

The usb power inserter is for those tv/box without built-in antenna power .

kurt111494

Master Member
Reaction score
just set up the NMS box together with its antenna. turned on tv and tried the channels...so far so good...anything else i need to check?

i actually also realised there's nothing about warranty stated in the box. there's no warranty provided?

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just set up the NMS box together with its antenna. turned on tv and tried the channels...so far so good...anything else i need to check?

i actually also realised there's nothing about warranty stated in the box. there's no warranty provided?
Do turn on the Antenna Power option in the settings too.

As for warranty, I inquired NMS about it and they say there's one year warranty to it. If you bought it from a retailer, just keep the receipt will do.

Aizenhart

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, that will probably cause problem as there are now 2 sources of 5V current coming from TV USB and STB itself.
On the contrary, when I connected my antenna into the USB device, then have one end attached to the TV box and the other to the TV, it solved the issues that I had faced earlier (Blank screen, muted sound, fuzzy image, flickering).

Not sure why though.

kurt111494

Master Member
Reaction score
Do turn on the Antenna Power option in the settings too.

As for warranty, I inquired NMS about it and they say there's one year warranty to it. If you bought it from a retailer, just keep the receipt will do.

Hi bro, what does the antenna power option do? :)

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, when I connected my antenna into the USB device, then have one end attached to the TV box and the other to the TV, it solved the issues that I had faced earlier (Blank screen, muted sound, fuzzy image, flickering).

Not sure why though.

Do you also enable antenna power in the STB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.