Back from South island New Zealand

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Hello all, appreciate comments and advice on the itinerary below for a campervan trip.
Going in Nov. Daylight is about 630am-830pm.

Day 1 Touch down 2pm. Collect campervan. Grocery shopping. Camp at Amberley Beach.

Day 2 Hanmer Springs. Paparoa National Park (optional). Pancake Rocks. Camp at Punakaiki beach.

Day 3 Arthur's Pass / Lake Pearson / Kura Tawhiti. Lake Kaniere / Hokitika Gorge. Camp at Hokitika.

Day 4 Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Camp at Fox / FJG.

Day 5 Buffer for Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Go to Aoraki Mount Cook village via Wanaka / Haast Pass. Stargazing tour. Camp Mount Cook area.

Day 6 Hooker Valley track. Go to Lake Tekapo. Camp at Lake Tekapo area.

Day 7 Go to Queenstown Airport to exchange campervan for car. Bob's cove track. Gondola. Luge. Sunset? More stargazing? Accom at Queenstown.

Day 8 Queenstown ziptrek. Go to Wanaka. Accom at Wanaka.

Day 9 Roy's Peak hike 2am-9am. Rest. Go to CHC with rest stops along the way. Accom at CHC.

Day 10 Go to CHC airport 7am.

-----------------------------------------------

There's a 'detour' on Day 7 back to QTN because we want to go back to that area to hike Roy's Peak. The Roy's Peak track is only opened on Day 9 onwards.

Slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?

We will change to a car on Day 7 so that we can then return the car at the CHC airport at early hours before flight (can't return a campervan before 8am).

Last edited:

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 3 is a detour. Most people drive to/from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass.

Day 5 is impossible. A whole day driving.

Hello all, appreciate comments and advice on the itinerary below for a campervan trip.
Going in Nov. Daylight is about 630am-830pm.

Day 1 Touch down 2pm. Collect campervan. Grocery shopping. Camp at Amberley Beach.

Day 2 Hanmer Springs. Paparoa National Park (optional). Pancake Rocks. Camp at Punakaiki beach.

Day 3 Arthur's Pass / Lake Pearson / Kura Tawhiti. Lake Kaniere / Hokitika Gorge. Camp at Hokitika.

Day 4 Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Camp at Fox / FJG.

Day 5 Buffer for Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Go to Aoraki Mount Cook village via Wanaka / Haast Pass. Stargazing tour. Camp Mount Cook area.

Day 6 Hooker Valley track. Go to Lake Tekapo. Camp at Lake Tekapo area.

Day 7 Go to Queenstown Airport to exchange campervan for car. Bob's cove track. Gondola. Luge. Sunset? More stargazing? Accom at Queenstown.

Day 8 Queenstown ziptrek. Go to Wanaka. Accom at Wanaka.

Day 9 Roy's Peak hike 2am-9am. Rest. Go to CHC with rest stops along the way. Accom at CHC.

Day 10 Go to CHC airport 7am.

-----------------------------------------------

There's a 'detour' on Day 7 back to QTN because we want to go back to that area to hike Roy's Peak. The Roy's Peak track is only opened on Day 9 onwards.

Slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?

We will change to a car on Day 7 so that we can then return the car at the CHC airport at early hours before flight (can't return a campervan before 8am).

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Day 3 is a detour. Most people drive to/from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass.

Day 5 is impossible. A whole day driving.

Yes like i mentioned, there is 'slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?' becos we won’t pass by AP if we are going to Hanmer Springs and then punakaiki from there.. we may play by ear on that day, if don't feel like driving, then guess we'll skip AP.

For day 5, if we have done the heli hike, we can start out earlier. If need to activate the morning for heli hike:
1pm Drive to Haast Pass. Spend half hour at Haast Pass.
430pm Drive to Lake Wanaka. Spend half hour at Lake Wanaka (just a rest stop as there is Wanaka on Day 8)
530pm Drive to accom at Twizel / Pukaki area. Check-in for the night.

How does that sound? Again, can play by ear. If we cannot make it in time, will camp at wanaka area instead..

Last edited:

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think you have no idea of the distance. I also left Haast Pass at 1pm and reached Wanaka at 6pm. And you are driving a camper van; definitely not as fast.

Not sure what attracts you to Hanmer Springs; most go to Greymouth from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass. Anyway to each his own. And it is not a
“slight” detour.

Yes like i mentioned, there is 'slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?' becos we won’t pass by AP if we are going to Hanmer Springs and then punakaiki from there.. we may play by ear on that day, if don't feel like driving, then guess we'll skip AP.

For day 5, if we have done the heli hike, we can start out earlier. If need to activate the morning for heli hike:
1pm Drive to Haast Pass. Spend half hour at Haast Pass.
430pm Drive to Lake Wanaka. Spend half hour at Lake Wanaka (just a rest stop as there is Wanaka on Day 8)
530pm Drive to accom at Twizel / Pukaki area. Check-in for the night.

How does that sound? Again, can play by ear. If we cannot make it in time, will camp at wanaka area instead..

tulipkiss

Reaction score
i think you have no idea of the distance. I also left Haast Pass at 1pm and reached Wanaka at 6pm. And you are driving a camper van; definitely not as fast.

Not sure what attracts you to Hanmer Springs; most go to Greymouth from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass. Anyway to each his own. And it is not a
“slight” detour.

Yeah I admit I have no idea - was following Google Maps..the journey duration estimated for Haast Pass to Wanaka is 1hr 5min. You took 5hours (1-6pm), does that mean we have to multiply the google maps' estimated timing by 4-5 in NZ?

I do see that most people go to the AP from CHC or vice versa from Greymouth, do u think there are any ways I can possibly slot that into my itinerary? Otherwise we should be skipping it..

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I admit I have no idea - was following Google Maps..the journey duration estimated for Haast Pass to Wanaka is 1hr 5min. You took 5hours (1-6pm), does that mean we have to multiply the google maps' estimated timing by 4-5 in NZ?

I do see that most people go to the AP from CHC or vice versa from Greymouth, do u think there are any ways I can possibly slot that into my itinerary? Otherwise we should be skipping it..
I would suggest u stay a night in wanaka instead of heading to Mt Cook, coz it is almost impossible to cover that great a distance, especially if u still have helihike in the morning.
Depending on the weather and the slot u booked, the helihike may drag pass noon. My 9am slot started close to 10 as the earlier slot was delayed. Coming back was also delayed coz have to wait for helicopter at the glacier. Ended way pass noon, and still need to go lunch.

I took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG, with a few stops in between for sightseeing. Reaching in the evening

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT

tulipkiss

Reaction score
I would suggest u stay a night in wanaka instead of heading to Mt Cook, coz it is almost impossible to cover that great a distance, especially if u still have helihike in the morning.
Depending on the weather and the slot u booked, the helihike may drag pass noon. My 9am slot started close to 10 as the earlier slot was delayed. Coming back was also delayed coz have to wait for helicopter at the glacier. Ended way pass noon, and still need to go lunch.

I took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG, with a few stops in between for sightseeing. Reaching in the evening

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT

Icic! Ok will plan to stay at Wanaka area instead, thanks!

kentona

Reaction score
Milford Sound tour and other activities

Hi guys,

Where do you guys book your milford sound tour? i am planning to take a break from driving and take the pick up from queenstown to milford sound.
Question is how do you guys settle for the breakfast / lunch?

What other activities (like bungy, jetboat, horse trekking) will you be doing in queenstown and which company to book with for these activities?

TIA

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Where do you guys book your milford sound tour? i am planning to take a break from driving and take the pick up from queenstown to milford sound.

What other activities (like bungy, jetboat, horse trekking) will you be doing in queenstown and which company to book with for these activities?

TIA

I booked the Milford Sound cruise directly at the ferry terminal. Just be there before 10 am you should be fine.

Breakfast can tabao and eat along the way or before you embark on the journey to the Sound. Lunch can settle after you done the cruise.

Bungy and luge are nice activities to do at Queenstown. Fergburger and Pantagonia Chocolate too.

Jetboat is a must try also. But I prefer to do it at Cromwell together with the gold mining.

tulipkiss

Reaction score
anyone tried the ziptrek in queenstown before? thinking whether to go for ziptrek at Queenstown or just sight-seeing at Glenorchy instead.

circleheart

Reaction score
Hello,

I booked from bookme.co.nz for my Milford Sound 1 day tour (with Go Orange). There was a promotion when i booked and was only about NZ140 for 2 pax. There will be a pit stop after an hour drive from QT for people to grab breakfast and lunch is provided with most tour group on the cruise.

Pick up in the AM is usually at popular spot (mine was just opposite Fergburger).

Cheers

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

TIA

i booked my milford sound cruise from Southern Discoveries. the cruise includes a small lunch bag with sandwiches, chips, drinks etc

kentona

Reaction score
Thanks! So far I see goorange is the cheapest also. Was the experience okay with them?

Hello,

I booked from bookme.co.nz for my Milford Sound 1 day tour (with Go Orange). There was a promotion when i booked and was only about NZ140 for 2 pax. There will be a pit stop after an hour drive from QT for people to grab breakfast and lunch is provided with most tour group on the cruise.

Pick up in the AM is usually at popular spot (mine was just opposite Fergburger).

Cheers

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.