HELP! ITE TO POLY QUESTIONS >

Heha123

Reaction score
I will share my experience too using engineering as an example.

Engineering mathematics in Polytechnic is a big problem for a lot of ITE graduates cause they only learn basic calculation.

For Higher Nitec, you do not needs to work hard and still able to pass.

For Polytechnic Diploma, it is very clear cut if you know or don't know.
Yea that is true I only studied 3 weeks before exam and still able to get A. So in poly the only hard thing is Maths? What about the theory part you missed for differing year 1? Will it make it difficult?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Year 1 is basic that provide you with necessary foundation for year 2 & 3. So there will be some part where ITE graduates that never learn before.

In ITE, you may write 1 line which still can score for Theory Exam. In Poly, they needs more than that but 1 line can still get a sub pass or pass.

Yea that is true I only studied 3 weeks before exam and still able to get A. So in poly the only hard thing is Maths? What about the theory part you missed for differing year 1? Will it make it difficult?

FreddieBoi

Master Member
Reaction score

Nitec Exams are very easy bro, i used to be from HNITEC, the moment i saw NITEC's paper i just went wow.

Year 1 is basic that provide you with necessary foundation for year 2 & 3. So there will be some part where ITE graduates that never learn before.

In ITE, you may write 1 line which still can score for Theory Exam. In Poly, they needs more than that but 1 line can still get a sub pass or pass.

Yes Kyoji is right in this aspect, ITE and Poly exams are very very different.

ITE exams just write what to do.

Poly exams need to write and explain the reason behind ur actions and such.

Personally i would encourage you to go HNITEC year 2 before going into Poly. Systems in ITE and Poly are worlds apart. In ITE, the class settings for my course is like a sec sch classroom however, in Poly its most likely lectures. So, its better to get a stable foundation in ITE before going for Poly where they employ the lecture system, as lecturers in poly dont really care about u, unlike ITE lecturers.

Heha123

Reaction score
Nitec Exams are very easy bro, i used to be from HNITEC, the moment i saw NITEC's paper i just went wow.

Yes Kyoji is right in this aspect, ITE and Poly exams are very very different.

ITE exams just write what to do.

Poly exams need to write and explain the reason behind ur actions and such.

Personally i would encourage you to go HNITEC year 2 before going into Poly. Systems in ITE and Poly are worlds apart. In ITE, the class settings for my course is like a sec sch classroom however, in Poly its most likely lectures. So, its better to get a stable foundation in ITE before going for Poly where they employ the lecture system, as lecturers in poly dont really care about u, unlike ITE lecturers.

I'm currently in higher Nitec you can't jump from Nitec to poly year 2 that will really be ridiculous

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to add on.

Nitec with good GPA can directly start from Poly year 1 or Higher Nitec year 2.

Higher Nitec with good GPA can start from Poly year 2.

I'm currently in higher Nitec you can't jump from Nitec to poly year 2 that will really be ridiculous

Aizooom

Reaction score
Hi. Did you apply for RP or HNitec? I find myself in a similar situation...

Sorry for the late reply! I totally understand your situation. I applied to RP and got accepted, but I ended up choosing to stay in my Year 2 Higher NITEC course instead. Now waiting for my GPA and off I go to intern! Are you from Business Services?

All the best!

Last edited:

heymee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sharing the challenges for ITE students applying poly...

Extracted from: https://www.reach.gov.sg/participat...g-difficulties-to-enter-polytechnic-education

ITE student finding difficulties to enter Polytechnic Education
REACH Discussion Forum - Education Category Thumbnail
user-profile

by Bobby Tan

21 Apr 2016 05:54PM
0 2 Bookmark
Report Abuse

JPAE - Joint Polytechnic Admissions Exercise for Higher Nitec Students are good entry for ITE students to further their Education in Polytechnic Education. However the entry criteria, besides the minimum grade achieved, is subject to the available places left after the 'O' level students admission. This as a result left very few places for all the ITE students. Many ITE students even meet the grade were unable to gain a place in the Polytechnic education.

A Polytechnic education will provide a diploma to the ITE students and will help them find a better job and they can even advance further to a degree or advance diploma course.

By not gaining a place in the Polytechnic, the future of these ITE students look grim. We all understand that with ITE qualification, the salary is much lower than a diploma.

Ministry should give every ITE students who achieved the required grade a chance to have a Polytechnic Education. It is sad that message to the ITE students are not most are not fit to enter Polytechnic education and they are supposed to do lower level job.

We all also understand that most ITE students family are not well to do. It will be tough to enrol into a private institute to take a private diploma. Next question is how recognised is this private diploma?

I strongly encouraged the Ministry to set up another Polytechnic so that there are enough places to give these ITE students a new hope rather than "It is the End" route for them.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sad hard true & someone this forum was from 2016 but now nothing has changes! :vijayadmin:

Sharing the challenges for ITE students applying poly...

Extracted from: https://www.reach.gov.sg/participat...g-difficulties-to-enter-polytechnic-education

ITE student finding difficulties to enter Polytechnic Education
REACH Discussion Forum - Education Category Thumbnail
user-profile

by Bobby Tan

21 Apr 2016 05:54PM
0 2 Bookmark
Report Abuse

JPAE - Joint Polytechnic Admissions Exercise for Higher Nitec Students are good entry for ITE students to further their Education in Polytechnic Education. However the entry criteria, besides the minimum grade achieved, is subject to the available places left after the 'O' level students admission. This as a result left very few places for all the ITE students. Many ITE students even meet the grade were unable to gain a place in the Polytechnic education.

A Polytechnic education will provide a diploma to the ITE students and will help them find a better job and they can even advance further to a degree or advance diploma course.

By not gaining a place in the Polytechnic, the future of these ITE students look grim. We all understand that with ITE qualification, the salary is much lower than a diploma.

Ministry should give every ITE students who achieved the required grade a chance to have a Polytechnic Education. It is sad that message to the ITE students are not most are not fit to enter Polytechnic education and they are supposed to do lower level job.

We all also understand that most ITE students family are not well to do. It will be tough to enrol into a private institute to take a private diploma. Next question is how recognised is this private diploma?

I strongly encouraged the Ministry to set up another Polytechnic so that there are enough places to give these ITE students a new hope rather than "It is the End" route for them.

kshnsy

Reaction score
Just got my result, HN in mech eng, 2.159. Im so ****ed lol. Dun even know if RP wants me or not, any past experience guys?

takahashikenji

Reaction score
Just got my result, HN in mech eng, 2.159. Im so ****ed lol. Dun even know if RP wants me or not, any past experience guys?

You should try to apply JPAE next year Feb 2019. If the school accept you you are lucky. If not, you can try to apply DAE or appeal. May be will work.

Idme231

Reaction score
Just to share that Diploma in ITE is also almost same as poly, need to list down the explaination and give applications when they give you the situation in exams. not just write down what you know about the thing only. Presentation and reports are as much as what you think they are.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Full time polytechnic diploma can enter both full and part time degree in local university like NUS & NTU.

However ITE diploma can only enter part time BTech degree in NUS. As you can see, part time (BTech) and full time (BEng) are different standard in NUS.

Just to share that Diploma in ITE is also almost same as poly, need to list down the explaination and give applications when they give you the situation in exams. not just write down what you know about the thing only. Presentation and reports are as much as what you think they are.

Idme231

Reaction score
Full time polytechnic diploma can enter both full and part time degree in local university like NUS & NTU.

However ITE diploma can only enter part time BTech degree in NUS. As you can see, part time (BTech) and full time (BEng) are different standard in NUS.

Nope. What you don’t know is what we know. What it says in the course website is not sufficient.

You can contact my section head for more information.

And... i am just saying the standards here of reports and presentations is the same as poly, nothing else.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. What you don’t know is what we know. What it says in the course website is not sufficient.

You can contact my section head for more information.

And... i am just saying the standards here of reports and presentations is the same as poly, nothing else.

What course did you study for TED (sorry if i miss out cause i don't follow much or come to hwz these days)?

So what you know about TED that public do not know? I will share my knowledge on TED after your input.

My concern will be are you telling me that my comment below is not true?

Idme231

Reaction score
What course did you study for TED (sorry if i miss out cause i don't follow much or come to hwz these days)?

So what you know about TED that public do not know? I will share my knowledge on TED after your input.

My concern will be are you telling me that my comment below is not true?

No problem. Automotive Engineering.

Not saying that you are totally wrong, but not only NUS.

From what i heard from my lecturer:

NUS - Full Time (Must take entry test in Mathematics,etc)
Part time (As Stated in the course page)

For NTU - They are not willing to take you for full time, they only accept you for part time.

For other universities, its based on case by case basis or preparatory course (SIM/SMU).

TED has 2 types of Diplomas Certificate, the English version and German Version.

English Version is given to anyone who complete and passed all modules in the course. It can be also used for other countries such as USA, UK and Australia.

But, for the German Version of Certificate : You need to have 1.5 years of experience then they will give you (This certificate is in German Language, used for when you are studying in Technical Universities OR Applied Sciences in Europe Countries.) English Version Diploma is Invalid.

As stated in the course page : To apply for further studies at Universities of Applied Sciences in Germany, TED in Automotive Engineering graduates will be required to fulfil 1.5 years of relevant work experience. Relevant work experience acquired before the TED in Machine Technology course may be recognised (including relevant internships and work experience gained prior and during training at Nitec and Higher Nitec levels).

Applicants are required to meet the minimum entry requirements, specified for the course, as stipulated by the respective Universities for admission.

They changed the system recently, previously from the start, only automotive experience is recognized, but however, they changed this rule to ANY engineering discipline, (not just automotive, but anything as long as it is engineering). Even IA is Recognised, so long you have the evidence that you have worked in the company in your Nitec, Higher Nitec and Traineeship or Other relevant work (Such as Sign On).

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not going to discuss about 'Work-Learn' Technical Diploma Programme cause they just started their 1st intake recently.

Full time 'Academic' Technical Diploma offered Culinary Arts, Automotive Engineering and Machine Technology. Culinary Arts is awarded differently by Institut Paul Bocuse and it is not about Engineering, so let our discussion limited to Automotive Engineering and Machine Technology.

Technical Engineer Diploma (TED) is a collaborative effort between ITE and the Ministry of Education (MOE), Youth and Sports (MEYS), Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Do take notice that their MOE is within Baden-Württemberg and not the whole Germany.

The key component is all about “Staatlich Geprüfter Techniker” (State Certified Technical Engineer or also known as State Certified Technician after translation from German Language). European and German qualification framework EQF / DQR consider “Staatlich Geprüfter Techniker” as Level 6 which is equivalent to a Bachelor Degree however you cannot directly study a Master Degree because you do not have a 'Academic' Bachelor Degree such as Diplom-Ingenieur (Engineer Degree). The term 'Engineer (like our Professional Engineer) is partially regulated in German which mean you will be consider a 'Technician' when you are in other EU countries.

So what is the value of this TED Qualification (Certificate vs Diploma Level)? Well, each school (university)/country value differently and most university will recognized it for enrollment as long as it is a technical / trade certificate. For example in Australia (AU), you are allow to enter university as long as you have TAFE Certificate level 4. You be surprise that our Higher / Nitec actually allow us to study overseas university in UK, AU & etc.

So why our ITE Qualification cannot directly enter local university in Singapore (SG)? Cause our government do not encourage locals to get higher education so that they will not over supply graduates and employers can just import foreign talents to meet the demand of shortage professionals in the job market.

Let limit our discussion to NUS and NTU since these are the only 2 universities recognized by PEB SG. I never head about these 2 points stated below and any TED graduates can confirmed about this?

1) NUS - Full Time (Must take entry test in Mathematics,etc)

2) For NTU - They are not willing to take you for full time, they only accept you for part time.

Both NUS BEng (Full Time) and BTech (Part Time) are recognized by PEB SG but have different name for QA purpose. That why CET (Part Time) Polytechnic Diploma holders need to attend the BTech Engineering Bridging Units (BEBUs) before their NUS BTech admission can be considered. As for BEng, CET (Part Time) Polytechnic Diploma are not recognized by NUS.

Both Full and Part Time BEng have the same name for NTU which mean they needs to uphold their QA. That why CET (Part Time) Polytechnic Diploma are not recognized by NTU for both Full and Part Time BEng.

So if CET (Part Time) Polytechnic Diploma are not recognized, what make you think local university like NUS and NTU will give chance to TED?

I have an Industry Trainer Certificate from ITE. I am understand how ITE and their qualification work. As long as not confirm matter (such as partnership with university for ITE qualification to be recognized for Degree enrollment), they will not stated it in their website or any source like news articles. Not sure for future but I can confirm that at least now, both NUS and NTU do not recognized TED for full time BEng and only NUS recognized TED for BTech (Part Time).

No problem. Automotive Engineering.

Not saying that you are totally wrong, but not only NUS.

From what i heard from my lecturer:

NUS - Full Time (Must take entry test in Mathematics,etc)

For NTU - They are not willing to take you for full time, they only accept you for part time.

For other universities, its based on case by case basis or preparatory course (SIM/SMU).

TED has 2 types of Diplomas Certificate, the English version and German Version.

English Version is given to anyone who complete and passed all modules in the course. It can be also used for other countries such as USA, UK and Australia.

But, for the German Version of Certificate : You need to have 1.5 years of experience then they will give you (This certificate is in German Language, used for when you are studying in Technical Universities OR Applied Sciences in Europe Countries.) English Version Diploma is Invalid.

As stated in the course page : To apply for further studies at Universities of Applied Sciences in Germany, TED in Automotive Engineering graduates will be required to fulfil 1.5 years of relevant work experience. Relevant work experience acquired before the TED in Machine Technology course may be recognised (including relevant internships and work experience gained prior and during training at Nitec and Higher Nitec levels).

Applicants are required to meet the minimum entry requirements, specified for the course, as stipulated by the respective Universities for admission.

They changed the system recently, previously from the start, only automotive experience is recognized, but however, they changed this rule to ANY engineering discipline, (not just automotive, but anything as long as it is engineering). Even IA is Recognised, so long you have the evidence that you have worked in the company in your Nitec, Higher Nitec and Traineeship or Other relevant work (Such as Sign On).

Idme231

Reaction score
You seem to ‘know’ what is TED.
If you are so in doubt of my answers, why not ask the section head for the real info instead? They know alot better than me.

Anyway i also never say i going to study the universities in singapore, so why do i bother so much of whether i can enter or not?:s22: I believe i have my own reasons of taking this TED over Polytechnic Diploma.

Am just gonna stick with the info given to me from them. Case closed.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Call your Section Head no point. I will rather call NUS & NTU first and if needed, the last number I will call will be ITE for them to direct me to the correct person.

Actually you overthink. I did not bother where you end up studying. I am only concern of wrong information that oversell the courses.

Well, wish you all the best for your studies.

You seem to ‘know’ what is TED.
If you are so in doubt of my answers, why not ask the section head for the real info instead? They know alot better than me.

Anyway i also never say i going to study the universities in singapore, so why do i bother so much of whether i can enter or not?:s22: I believe i have my own reasons of taking this TED over Polytechnic Diploma.

Am just gonna stick with the info given to me from them. Case closed.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.