The Contact Lenses Thread

Rated R Edge

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been using One-Day Acuvue Moist for Astig so far and didn't really like it cos within the first few hours i already feel blur (from dryness?). Wanna try some other brands but sian that need to go to my usual Singaporean shop which would cost a bomb compared to online/JB. Any advice? Haha sorry if i sound like a cheapskate.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all, so far have been reading through this thread. noticed warhunter always say to get proper eye examination and checking first before get contact lens, so my experience is went to an optical shop, asked for contact lens but was recommended permanent lenses as my astig is too high (400+) however as i was a first time user, not sure if able to commit to long term, want to try it out first. so was given the choice to try a contact lens with astig 275 max in singapore. not sure if the person is optometrist or not, what he did was check my current eye glasses degree, then check my eye degree with this machine that shows a house. after that went inside a room and he used some prototype glasses to fit on different lens and ask me to read certain alphabets. after that he say come back in a few days to collect as he had to order. he said after lens come, will need to come back for contact lens consultation, check eye health, with someone else. which is not by him (the person who took my order for the contact lens).
so my question is, did the shop give a proper eye check? any procedures lacking that i should request when going over to collect my contact lens? so he is not an optometrist, probably optician since he cannot check my eye health for me on the actual day? long post guys. but thankyou in advance for reading such a long post. since i have heard about stuff that could even blind the eye with wrong contact lenses not suitable for eye. so therefore i would want to be very "safe" and kiasu on my first try. thank you all!

Hi there, not sure if you still will return to this forum since this thread is a little quiet. Generally, you are in safe hands as the person who took your order for the lenses did not dispense the lens to you. He is most likely not an optometrist but he did go through the proper procedure. By now you should have been wearing your lenses for a few days/weeks already.
Let me know how you feel!

Which brands of contact lens is good ?

Looking at Alcon, Acuvue , b&l and copper.

Hi Pinpin, generally speaking, there is no 'best' lens. It depends on what the optometrist recommends to be best for your eyes and also your budget.

any contact lens shop to recommend in JB? also, what price should i be looking at? monthly contact lens with asti

Price wise i am not sure but generally JB tends to be cheaper due to currency exchange. However, do note that you are taking a huge risk buying from these shops whereby the staff are highly likely not even opticians.
The savings you get from CL = the better quality service and eye checks you get from local optometrists.
Savings from lenses: ~ 50SGD
Potential incurred cost if something were to happen to your eyes: 'loss of vision/impaired vision'
We only have a pair of eyes, don't take it for granted.

Been using One-Day Acuvue Moist for Astig so far and didn't really like it cos within the first few hours i already feel blur (from dryness?). Wanna try some other brands but sian that need to go to my usual Singaporean shop which would cost a bomb compared to online/JB. Any advice? Haha sorry if i sound like a cheapskate.

Honestly, i know CL prices in Singapore is expensive. Let me know if you are still keen in fitting a CL that is suitable for your needs :)

I just answered a few questions from the top of the list. Most information have been already provided by previous users especially the one about having a proper eye consultation before you are fitted with contact lenses.
Hope this helps :) Have a good week everybody!:s12:

cloudyx

Reaction score
erm... so i have been wearing contacts for a few years now.
so i just walked into this shop where i used to get my glasses and told them i wanna try contacts so i got an eye check for prescription and they just let me know what kind of contacts they sell and i picked acuvue cause that was the only brand i knew (they didn't recommend or anything. no fitting no nothing).

so that was how i started with acuvue and never tried other brands. but the price is still steep so thinking of changing brand. i have astig and a bit of dry eyes (but more towards normal) and prefer daily. any recommendation?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
erm... so i have been wearing contacts for a few years now.
so i just walked into this shop where i used to get my glasses and told them i wanna try contacts so i got an eye check for prescription and they just let me know what kind of contacts they sell and i picked acuvue cause that was the only brand i knew (they didn't recommend or anything. no fitting no nothing).

so that was how i started with acuvue and never tried other brands. but the price is still steep so thinking of changing brand. i have astig and a bit of dry eyes (but more towards normal) and prefer daily. any recommendation?

daily lenses with astigmatism usually have steeper prices. BUT it is healthier/more comfortable for your eyes.
Since you have not had an eye check for a few years, best to do an eye health examination inclusive of prescription check to see if you need to make any changes to the power. :)

cloudyx

Reaction score
daily lenses with astigmatism usually have steeper prices. BUT it is healthier/more comfortable for your eyes.
Since you have not had an eye check for a few years, best to do an eye health examination inclusive of prescription check to see if you need to make any changes to the power. :)

yeah that's why haha thinking of changing brands to dailies cause it's a bit cheaper. have u tried it before?
oh i had a check about 2/3 months ago haha

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah that's why haha thinking of changing brands to dailies cause it's a bit cheaper. have u tried it before?
oh i had a check about 2/3 months ago haha

you mean dailies aqua comfort? alcon?

u must personally test to know the comfort. what works for person A might not work for person B. that is why CL checks are important
check as in prescription check along with health check?

imo, i prefer recommending acuvue as their lenses are pretty decent.
do u have the app on your phone?
first user has discount on 4 boxes of lenses... subsequent purchases can collect points to offset next purchases :)

cloudyx

Reaction score
you mean dailies aqua comfort? alcon?

u must personally test to know the comfort. what works for person A might not work for person B. that is why CL checks are important
check as in prescription check along with health check?

imo, i prefer recommending acuvue as their lenses are pretty decent.
do u have the app on your phone?
first user has discount on 4 boxes of lenses... subsequent purchases can collect points to offset next purchases :)

ya alcon.
hmm true.. haha thats why never really dare to change brand. yup, but when i asked about contacts recommendation the person just say just stick to what i'm wearing since no discomfort lol.

oh! i didn't know that. does it work everywhere that sells acuvue lenses? cos i go to this shop at bugis cube. its a bit cheaper than quite a lot of other optical shops.

sgreview

Reaction score
Blincon BB or Geo lens

I am new to coloured contact lens.
Is there any user here who are using Blincon BB or Geo?
I was at a shop and these are 2 of the brands that were introduced to me.

I am looking for colours that are not too outstanding and will blend in with my eyes to look more natural, so maybe brown or grey.
If you have used it before, kindly share your experience. :)
Was the colour nice for your eyes and was it comfortable?
What brand/kind of contact lens solution are you using or was recommended to you?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
I am new to coloured contact lens.
Is there any user here who are using Blincon BB or Geo?
I was at a shop and these are 2 of the brands that were introduced to me.

I am looking for colours that are not too outstanding and will blend in with my eyes to look more natural, so maybe brown or grey.
If you have used it before, kindly share your experience. :)
Was the colour nice for your eyes and was it comfortable?
What brand/kind of contact lens solution are you using or was recommended to you?

Hi if you looking for monthly lenses, blinkcon/freshkon will be okay.
daily lenses - also have more choices and is healthier/more comfy for your eyes.

monthly lenses usually Multi purpose solutions will do. E.g biotrue
AOsept for extra cleaning (which is recommended for monthy lens users)

sgreview

Reaction score
Hi if you looking for monthly lenses, blinkcon/freshkon will be okay.
daily lenses - also have more choices and is healthier/more comfy for your eyes.

monthly lenses usually Multi purpose solutions will do. E.g biotrue
AOsept for extra cleaning (which is recommended for monthy lens users)

Thanks for your response! :)
Is it true that the material used for coloured lens are not as good as transparent kind? Recently went to read up a bit and realized that there are so many different kind of material, so confusing.. :s11:

Blincon is using polyhema which is supposedly a older generation material? not so breathable? I have been using acuvue moist with lacreon which I think the material is etafilcon A (haha.. i just type from the packaging, also don't know what is it?) I read some of the past post, some people said look for silicone hydrogel kind is more breathable? what brands/types is silicone hydrogel?

Would be glad if someone can enlighten me a bit on this matter.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! :)
Is it true that the material used for coloured lens are not as good as transparent kind? Recently went to read up a bit and realized that there are so many different kind of material, so confusing.. :s11:

Blincon is using polyhema which is supposedly a older generation material? not so breathable? I have been using acuvue moist with lacreon which I think the material is etafilcon A (haha.. i just type from the packaging, also don't know what is it?) I read some of the past post, some people said look for silicone hydrogel kind is more breathable? what brands/types is silicone hydrogel?

Would be glad if someone can enlighten me a bit on this matter.

Yes, you are right.
Colored lenses definitely not as comfortable as clear ones as there is pigments in the colored ones that make it less comfy.
you are also right to say the older generation is not so breathable. However, some people cant get used to newer materials, hence they stick with the older materials as it is more comfy. However, more comfy does not mean healthier for the eyes.

Silicon hydrogel provides the best oxygen content to the eye which is the most optimal. However, as mentioned earlier, some people cant get used to it. Their eyes will feel itchy and wont be as comfortable as compared to normal hydrogels which is the etafilcon A moist material.
Acuvue newest product which is the Oasys is silicon hydrogel. Alcon Dailies total one is also silicon hydrogel.
Would recommend Dailies total 1 if price is not a factor. Very comfy and have many good reviews from those who use it.

Hope this answers your question. :)

white_prince

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have high asti has been using an old pair of contact lens manufactured by a factory in Australia.
I went to make a few pairs of contact lens from a few optical shops but doesnt match what the australia company has offered.
Now the market only offers iGel and Flexcon so i am getting suggestion from the senior here who knows of a good brand for custom contact lens and where to do it?
The old pair of contacts offer precise sharp vision better than the few recent pairs that was made which is alittle blur.
Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Think flexcon is your best option. Igel has already closed down..

I have high asti has been using an old pair of contact lens manufactured by a factory in Australia.
I went to make a few pairs of contact lens from a few optical shops but doesnt match what the australia company has offered.
Now the market only offers iGel and Flexcon so i am getting suggestion from the senior here who knows of a good brand for custom contact lens and where to do it?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
The old pair of contacts offer precise sharp vision better than the few recent pairs that was made which is alittle blur.

now only flexcon....
if soft lens cant offer you sharp vision... why not try hard lens? better for the eyes and vision ;)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Never tried before
Is hard lens easily dirty and does it change directions easily

if anything, hard lens offer better vision as lenses will be more stable on the eye (for astig correction)
dirty easily is very subjective. if u go office come back ofc not.
but lenses are lenses. be it hard or soft you have to clean and rub them every night if you wish to wear them everyday.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What brand / where can I get the most affordable monthly disposable lenses? I am not too particular about brands. My degree is around 600

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.