(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think u take apart, u waste even more coffee trying to calibrate back.

The Urnex, Puly grind thing works, i remember i saw on don't know HB or CS forum, got people reviewed and took it apart to compare before and after.
:o

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
bought krups grinder from lazada at $70.
delonghi 680 as i know is pressurized so its not so particular about the grind.

what else can i do with delonghi 680. haha. not as exciting as the other machines.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

what else can i do with delonghi 680. haha. not as exciting as the other machines.

It’s a espresso machine what else exciting you want it to do?
Even the slayer makes espresso yes you can make adjustments to make better shots but end of the day it’s dedicated to make espresso.
It cannot make frappe or hot coco cannot make a tiramisu.

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score
I think u take apart, u waste even more coffee trying to calibrate back.

The Urnex, Puly grind thing works, i remember i saw on don't know HB or CS forum, got people reviewed and took it apart to compare before and after.
:o

You need to calibrate when you change beans.

You don't need to calibrate a grinder when you clean it. just assemble it back to the same setting.

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score

You can mod it so that it doesn't use pressurised baskets.

In the mean time stick with the pressurised baskets until you can upgrade and get a better quality grinder.

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
Have questions on Delonghi 680

1. Does it matter if I use a larger double basket with 7g instead of single basket of 7g.

2. I use double basket of 7g and press the 2 cup button. Diluted coffee? Or I should add another 7g to be double shot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These delonghi krups machine are known coffeee burners and the steam is very bad for making lattes. :o

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dedica EC685 is now equipped with the exclusive adjustable CAPPUCCINATORE, which has two milk frothing settings: Hot milk and Cappuccino, in order to prepare a perfect and creamy cappuccino, or to heat up the milk for "flat" milk recipes. It's also easy to clean and it has flexible noozle that ensures accessibility when you need to froth the milk.

Not sure how good is the newer model??

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very long ago, I think around 15 years ago, my first Nespresso was the Concept machine.
The steam wand is adjustable. Later I had a Krups with porta for a short while, forgot the model.

w4EevM8.png

Unlike machines with a boiler inside to build steam, thermobloc machines basically vaporise droplets of water to produce steam. I was comparing with multiple different machines at Takashimaya and they had the same kind of result.

It's really not strong and iirc from my reading back then, thermobloc machines have an ascending thermal profile while doing the espresso. It kind of intensify the astringents at the last part of the extraction unless your dose is heavy and the initial moments where most of the goodiness are, are done at too low temperature. You can still taste the "espresso" but the flavours are not articulated well. Maybe no biggie if you are casual drinker esp if you drink with milk, but the steam was really cmi for us.

There are better thermobloc machines in China that preheat the water, but those are not cheap iirc that's why did not take off, think the steam power remains about the same or slightly improved. Thermoblocs are made of aluminium and leach quite badly while descaling. The wand that I had on the concept was often stuck with limescale. :o

Last edited:

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The next step up is $300 more so a Delonghi still makes sense for casual drinkers. There are no "mid" end machines sadly. Even krups pulled out.

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
The next step up is $300 more so a Delonghi still makes sense for casual drinkers. There are no "mid" end machines sadly. Even krups pulled out.

oh? 600+ can get a 'pro' machine? which one ah?
i like delonghi cos of the minimal space it requires; hence i got a smaller krups grinder too.

tough to get a 'pro' machine.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I thought mid is like $1k+ machines?
Krups quality is not good. Had a krups 10 yrs ago; every 1-2mths pump breaks down. Had it fixed once and replaced new still breaks. Upgraded to a solis that lasted me 7-8yrs.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have questions on Delonghi 680

1. Does it matter if I use a larger double basket with 7g instead of single basket of 7g.

2. I use double basket of 7g and press the 2 cup button. Diluted coffee? Or I should add another 7g to be double shot

7g for single basket
14g for double; u do not put 7g into single.

If you could use 7g in 14g why build 7g basket? Waste metal?
Drip machines let u put different amount into basket espresso does not work this way if so just give u a 21g and gives u the freedom to vary from 21g.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.