(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These delonghi krups machine are known coffeee burners and the steam is very bad for making lattes. :o

delonghi espresso esam has pretty good review for a superauto
But it’s relative and not tried it b4 to comment on it

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think u take apart, u waste even more coffee trying to calibrate back.

The Urnex, Puly grind thing works, i remember i saw on don't know HB or CS forum, got people reviewed and took it apart to compare before and after.
:o

Depends on kind of grinder; those lower end ones sure. You lose it once u remove the top burr. Mine top burr does not move so removing does not mess things up.

Some Ppl worried about ingest chemicals; I wonder how they review. Did they do a chem Test. Yes it’s safe consumption

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mod to unpressurize basket may mean he has to upgrade his grinder
Bigger burr generally means more counter space

Not sure if this is good or for the same price should get the breville one?

http://www.delonghi.com/en-sg/products/coffee/coffee-makers/grinders/kg-521m-0177111045

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
7g for single basket
14g for double; u do not put 7g into single.

If you could use 7g in 14g why build 7g basket? Waste metal?
Drip machines let u put different amount into basket espresso does not work this way if so just give u a 21g and gives u the freedom to vary from 21g.

So the point being?
7g in 7g basket taste better than the same amount in 14 basket?

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score
Have questions on Delonghi 680

1. Does it matter if I use a larger double basket with 7g instead of single basket of 7g.

2. I use double basket of 7g and press the 2 cup button. Diluted coffee? Or I should add another 7g to be double shot

some guidelines

the weight of the grinds used should be about 1/2 the weight of your beverage.

e.g. 7g of coffee grinds will make you 14 grams of espresso

brew time generally should be 30 secs.

These recipes are good starting points. Adjustments are made after to achieve the taste profile you want.

what happens if you use a large basket with a dose lower than intended? usually your flow will be too fast. So you need to grind finer.
Why? There is too much head space between the top of the puck and shower screen allowing for the puck to expand more and causing the puck to lose its capacity to act as a "valve" (especially if you preinfuse at low pressures). secondly, most double baskets have more holes than a single basket.

If course this is with non-pressurised portafilters. The effect may be different with your pressurised portafilter.

Mind doing a comparison and letting us know the taste results? would be interesting to see how a pressurised portafilter behaves to still handle the low dose on a double basket.

yes 7 g on a double shot volume likley would be diluted coffee.

best tool for beginners? A weighing scale accurate to 0.1g to measure your coffee dose and your brew weight.

pulp_79sg

Reaction score
I've used both pressurized and non-pressurized portafilters…

The pressurized portafilters usually come with lower-end machines and I don't think you have basket size options. Essentially it's a one-size-fits-all situation. The manual does not even tell you how much coffee the basket can hold. Everything is measured by the supplied scoop. 1 scoop for single, 2 scoops for double, something like that.

Grind size is also incredibly forgiving. In fact, any supermarket pre-ground coffee for espresso machines will give you good crema… thats what the pressurized portafilter is supposed to do.

I guess the target consumer for these sort of machines will not be too concerned with grind size, dosing etc.. I mean its a thermo-block, what more do you want? :s13:

Non-pressurized portafilters belong to a entirely different category of machines. Thats when you start thinking about basket sizes and about a million other things. Frustrating as hell but also rewarding when you hit the magic numbers…

Just to add on…

I checked out the Delongi 680 once… basically took apart the portafilter to look inside. Plastic everywhere. At that price it is expensive because the Philips Saeco also has plastic everywhere but is less than half the price. So either get a cheap machine to start the journey or shell out a bit more for one that hasn't got that much plastic….

Last edited:

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score
someguidelines

the weight of the grinds used should be about 1/2 the weight of your beverage.

e.g. 7g of coffee grinds will make you 14 grams of espresso

brew time generally should be 30 secs.

These recipes are good starting points. Adjustments are made after to achieve the taste profile you want.

what happens if you use a large basket with a dose lower than intended? usually your flow will be too fast. So you need to grind finer.
Why? There is too much head space between the top of the puck and shower screen allowing for the puck to expand more and causing the puck to lose its capacity to act as a "valve" (especially if you preinfuse at low pressures). secondly, most double baskets have more holes than a single basket.

If course this is with non-pressurised portafilters. The effect may be different with your pressurised portafilter.

Mind doing a comparison and letting us know the taste results? would be interesting to see how a pressurised portafilter behaves to still handle the low dose on a double basket.

yes 7 g on a double shot volume likley would be diluted coffee.

best tool for beginners? A weighing scale accurate to 0.1g to measure your coffee dose and your brew weight.

Thanks for the sharing. Got my grinder. Will try with fresh bean and varying baskets with my flour machine and share

wook2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the sharing. Got my grinder. Will try with fresh bean and varying baskets with my flour machine and share

As a starter, try to be as consistent as possible, ie, keep dosage and basket the same, only change the grind setting, resist the temptation to play with too many variables.. Aim for a 30 sec extraction, double the dosage out (beverage weight).

It highly likely there will be alot of frustration as a beginner, just keep playing with the grind setting to get a sense of the grinder and its setting.

Helps to also use fresh roasted espresso beans (medium to dark roast)

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score

Oh and beans don’t get too fresh. 1-3 days after roast date will taste weird. Usually start to taste good 1 week after roast date. Some beans peak after 14 days.

Have fun!

fuxmux

Reaction score
Beans Freshness

I usually buy beans from Spinelli (out of convenience) and noticed that only the first 2 days, I can get a good extraction timing of 25s. Once it moves into day 3 or 4 territory, with the same grind setting, the flow starts to be too fast.

Is this normal for you guys as well? I always wondered if it's our humidity or something that causes it to change to fast.

My grinder is a Sette, with 2 shims installed. Grinding at 3-B settings.

erwinseow

Reaction score
I usually buy beans from Spinelli (out of convenience) and noticed that only the first 2 days, I can get a good extraction timing of 25s. Once it moves into day 3 or 4 territory, with the same grind setting, the flow starts to be too fast.

Is this normal for you guys as well? I always wondered if it's our humidity or something that causes it to change to fast.

Only use beans neccesary for your drink. Do not leave the beans in the hopper and store it in an air tight container or bag after.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Normal, whether you get from local roasters or not, is the same.
It got to do with oxidation. Even worse if it's light roast.

Visually unacceptable but still taste good. :o

wook2000

Reaction score
Is bottomless portafilter worthwhile? How will it affect the taste?

Bottomless helps to correct prep work, ie, distribution, tamping, etc

Seeing how the pour starts and end can give clues on equipment and prep work.

Taste wise i am pretty sure there is not much difference compared to single or double portafilter.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

can be frustrating as well. U maybe making alot of coffee.
ppl who can taste the difference sure it affects but if U cannot discern the taste in a blind taste test its not worth while.

Lazy_Tiger

Reaction score

Totally worth it if you are a beginner and want to improve prepping the basket.

getting consistently even pours will help you nail the taste profile you want as you fine tune other brewing variables (time, grind size, temp, preinfusion, brew ratio)

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need recommendation to upgrade my espresso machine.

I’m using DeLonghi ec680 and Breville smart grinder pro now.

Any espresso machine to recommend? My budget maybe around $1200. Grinder still can use my current one. Think it’s still good enough. My main concern is startup time as I make my coffee every morning before I go to work so I can’t afford 15mins before start pulling.

How is the Gaggia classic at $729?
What about Lelit Victoria but it’s at $1399. https://cowpressocoffee.sg/collections/equipment

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I’m using DeLonghi ec680 and Breville smart grinder pro now.

Any espresso machine to recommend? My budget maybe around $1200. Grinder still can use my current one. Think it’s still good enough. My main concern is startup time as I make my coffee every morning before I go to work so I can’t afford 15mins before start pulling.

What about Lelit Victoria but it’s at $1399. https://cowpressocoffee.sg/collections/equipment

between the 2, I go for the Victoria. U can go for the Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2. on carousell listed for $1350.

if U cannot wait 15mins, I guess U buy a smart plug to turn on your machine b4 u get up from bed. or U can change your routine much like I did. I wake up and 1st thing go turn on my machine before performing other task. U don't have to stand there and wait for 15-30mins.

linusz

Master Member
Reaction score

I*********m using DeLonghi ec680 and Breville smart grinder pro now.

Any espresso machine to recommend? My budget maybe around $1200. Grinder still can use my current one. Think it*********s still good enough. My main concern is startup time as I make my coffee every morning before I go to work so I can*********t afford 15mins before start pulling.

What about Lelit Victoria but it*********s at $1399.https://cowpressocoffee.sg/collections/equipment

Hi
When you turn on hot water for 680. Does it shudder and shake

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.